Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting poor results, thinking of quitting

Neal Winkler

Neal Winkler

After 1 year of solid GB training, I am not seeing the same results that the rest of forum members are getting.

Here's my stats...

Weight: 160

Height: 5'9"

I started GB training in late December of 2008. I trained up until March 2009 when I suffered a bad elbow injury in BJJ. I did not resume serious GB training again until August of 2009. At this point I trained 3 days per week. 3x5 alternating vertical and horizontal pressing/pulling, legs, and core (different variation each workout), all paired with appropriate static. Did this until April of 2010 and then switched over to WOD's.

After 1 year of training, I can only accomplish...

Front lever: 5 second straddle

Back lever: 15 second straddle

L-sit: 20 second XR (rings turned out and elbows locked)

Planche: Not sure because they don't come up in WOD's anymore, but I was able to do 12 second tuck before starting WOD's

Pullups: Assisted one arm's with hand about 6 inches lower

Rows: Flat tuck rows

Curls: Flat tuck reverse yewki's

HSPU: 1 chest to wall HSPU

Dips: Bulgarian's

Horizontal Pressing: 1 HSPU with chest to wall

Straight body abs: 3 full lay body levers

Low back: 10lbs. weighted HeS press

Sometimes I think I have a really high myostatin level or something. I see all these other people who have been training less time than me and have achieved so much more, it's very deflating. It's not like I'm big or anything either, so I should have much better results by now.

Alvaro Antolinez

I´m not even close to your results and I thing it really works!, I really noticed a huge difference from my former system (self made periodization) maybe 3 or 4 times faster (ok my Periodization sucked :oops: ) when changing to the WOD.

Any way as this kind of gymnastic strength elements require very strong connective tissues you are not supposed to advance that fast(ask Slizzard about fast results and injury), be patient and result will come steadily. :D

Edited: I had not read that you are on the WOD.

Triangle,

Have you planned any "off-season"? Perhaps you're suffering from burn-out, and it's time to take a 2-week hiatus from GB-style training. Ride a bike, cross-country ski, go for a hike.

You could also quite reasonably do a cycle of Gymnastic Bodies-inspired Black Box Max Effort, or follow another system for a set period of time and at the same time incorporate GB exercises whenever possible.

The other details that were missing from your post were your previous strengths/times ... and most importantly, what are your goals? Unless I misread your post, I didn't get a sense of "I have not met my specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, timely goals from 2009, which were this, that and a third."

What specifically are you hoping to accomplish, and in what time frame?

The GB WODs are a terrific asset, yet at the same time there's no staggered series of measurable tests, either through competition or performance, that provide directionality and shape to one's training.

This is one of the strengths of the Crossfit system, as well as the O-lifting WODs at Catalyst: they provide either daily in-class or online measurable competition as well as measured/timed/scored workouts repeated as benchmarks and tests.

I know Coach Sommer is hard at work writing the subsequent books and, y'know, COACHING COMPETITIVE ATHLETES that his personal time is limited, but the next stage of evolution for Gymnastic Bodies would be Gymnastic Body Benchmark Workouts, repeated at select intervals, as well as on-line gymnastic "meets" a la 70s Big "Super Totals," Catalyst Athletics' "Totals," or other competitions.

best,

jason

Your results don't seem all that bad for a year of work. I logged on to this forum a little more than a year and a half ago, and I still struggle with positions that most competitive gymnasts could do without any effort at all. I accept that it could be years, if ever, before I might do an advanced move like the iron cross. I am not going to impress anyone at the country fair with my abilities anytime soon. But I am having great fun in the meantime. That is, since I don't have an event to get ready for, it really doesn't matter how fast I improve relative to other people. So I would say take comfort that you are probably progressing faster than me, even if you perceive that you are not progressing as fast as other forum members, (who may be exaggerating their acomplishments).

Brendan Coad

I would focus on why you are thinking about quitting. Have you made slow but steady progress over the whole year? Did you achieve those levels 9 months ago and haven't progressed since? Or were you just assuming you would master these exercises in a year? Do you enjoy this style of training? Progression is important for a variety of reasons and its obviously a huge motivator but if you're not happy with the process you'll spend more of your time being frustrated, rather than enjoying your training.

I think Jason's suggestion of a mental detox could be a good one.

Neal Winkler
Triangle,

Have you planned any "off-season"? Perhaps you're suffering from burn-out, and it's time to take a 2-week hiatus from GB-style training. Ride a bike, cross-country ski, go for a hike.

You could also quite reasonably do a cycle of Gymnastic Bodies-inspired Black Box Max Effort, or follow another system for a set period of time and at the same time incorporate GB exercises whenever possible.

The other details that were missing from your post were your previous strengths/times ... and most importantly, what are your goals? Unless I misread your post, I didn't get a sense of "I have not met my specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, timely goals from 2009, which were this, that and a third."

What specifically are you hoping to accomplish, and in what time frame?

The GB WODs are a terrific asset, yet at the same time there's no staggered series of measurable tests, either through competition or performance, that provide directionality and shape to one's training.

This is one of the strengths of the Crossfit system, as well as the O-lifting WODs at Catalyst: they provide either daily in-class or online measurable competition as well as measured/timed/scored workouts repeated as benchmarks and tests.

I know Coach Sommer is hard at work writing the subsequent books and, y'know, COACHING COMPETITIVE ATHLETES that his personal time is limited, but the next stage of evolution for Gymnastic Bodies would be Gymnastic Body Benchmark Workouts, repeated at select intervals, as well as on-line gymnastic "meets" a la 70s Big "Super Totals," Catalyst Athletics' "Totals," or other competitions.

best,

jason

Jason,

No, I haven't had a 2 week break, but I did take a 50% week a couple weeks ago and I think I had one around 8 weeks before that.

As far as my goals, given my height and weight I should of accomplished full lay in both back and front lever. I also imagine I should be doing straddle rows, straight leg wall HS press, straddle planche, flat tuck push ups, full lay reverse yewki, be very close to one arm pull up. Bowers... hmmm... I'm not sure.

Where did I begin? Probably around 10 sec tucks back/front lever, 20s frog stand, bulgarian dips, assisted one arm pull ups (same hand placement I use now), I think I started with 3 tuck rows (or maybe negative tuck rows), 5 XR PPP, 4-5 HeSPU.

omegant & WWOE, what are your heights/weight/age, accomplishments, consistent training time, ect.?

I'm not sure about this, but regarding the planche thing you said, I think the static holds are to be done before every WOD or something

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

dude no don't give up take a break refocus your mind.

if you need help we are here to help.

Be honest with yourself, you have suffered injuries. I think you might be judging yourself as other sometimes do. Meaning, "Hey, what's the problem, dude. Nobody else is having these problems." Not knowing that you are battling pain, and was forced to reduce or eliminate your work load. I know getting back into fitness in the last year, I am hard on myself based on past result and rate of progress. Difference is, years ago I didn't run into tendonitis issues on four different occasions; robbing me of more than 4 months training. It really challenged me mentally. I never thought of quitting, but my expectations for myself dropped, and I lacked enthusiasm. Once, the good days come around again, the belief comes back.

results sound pretty good.

take into account your sleeping and dietary habits.

start adding more specific work pre-wod if you can do it and it doesn't crush you over a short term period.

Nic Scheelings

Triangle,

Out of interest sake what would you do for conditioning if you gave up this style of training? For me personally I feel it is a natural progression in terms of conditioning. I got bored with weights and felt I had done everything I could in the gym, and so I wanted a new challenge. Part of what makes this training so appealing is that these skills aren't easy, u have to work hard and when you achieve them you know how much work has gone into it. I don't know if u train with any friends but my advice is to go to some adult gym classes and find some guys who like this kind of conditioning, nothing is more fun then egging each other on through a WOD. I'm lucky in that I've got some great people to train with, but that could help keep the motivation up.

Don't give up.

triangle, first an foremost, do what seems right to you. Its your life, train the way that works, no guilt, we'll still like you.

But that said, you've only been doing the WOD's since April. Before that your own programing. The WODs seem to matter, i think so at least. I pretty much floundered when i first got the book, and its only since the seminar when everyone started talking up the WODs that i picked up on them.

In any case i think it took a while to get the idea of this whole thing, so the first 4-6 months were mostly dabbling and get used to the idea.

Since starting the WODs i see that improvement is more consistent. But to be 100% honest, i couldn't care less, because i feel good. If all i ever did was a tuck lever i'm totally happy. I'm pretty sure i will get past it, but that's times job to take care of.

Thats why i say do what seems right for you, i do this because i like it plain and simple, i don't care if i'm good or not, i enjoy seeing other peoples progress, but thats there story not mine.

What ever you do in life there will be some one better, the sooner you stop worrying about that the happier you'll be.

Other than that i think Jason had some good advice.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Triangle, in your post you mention feeling deflated by other people’s progress (in a year’s time). If that is the reason you want to stop, just don’t. I for one, and many other people I know off, would be very happy with your progress. But you will be the first to tell me that that is a different story. Of course, you will be right. You are you, that is what you are discovering. Now, think about that for a moment. Going through a dip, do you really want to tell yourself:†I am sooo disappointed with myself because I am not like Joeallmusclesbutnobrains or like Jackthetalkingchimpanzee. I am going to quitâ€. I hope not. Sure, if you don’t enjoy what you are doing and, especially, if you have found something else that you would rather do in that given time, go ahead. But, do realize that you again may become disappointed because you will be staring at Petewhoisjustanaturalatsomethingelse, or, maybe even worse (for us mcp’s), at Janewhoisbetteratsomethingelsethanmostmales. What then do you do, being you? Right, you quit. Can you picture living your life that way? No, I thought so.

What ever you do in life there will be some one better, the sooner you stop worrying about that the happier you'll be.

+1.

You come across as someone with a very inquiring, scientific mindset (I am a scientist so I should know) and one of the major pitfalls of this mindset is the belief that anything and anyone can be classified and that as soon as you have classified something (yourself in this case) you can predict how it will behave and develop under specific circumstances.

This is simply not true. Even in very simple laboratory setups it's hard to control (or even know) all variables, let alone in hugely complex systems such as you and me. There can literally be thousands of reasons why two persons of the same age, build, and general health will react completely different to identical stimuli (training stimuli in this case).

The fact that you believe that you are expected to reach certain goals within a set timeframe based on who you are (from a physical point of view) may very well be one of the major reasons you're not living up to those expectations (this sounds corny but as you get older you will find out why some cliché's have become cliché's - they simply are true)(this coming from an ancient 36-year old ;)).

Alessandro Mainente

Triangle, don't worry...also for me there was a period where i didn't increase any skills, but the reason was only the over training...stop training for about 1 week every 5-6 weeks of triaining can be very helpful for me...or maybe you have to change a little thing in your training...i'm not like you and you are not as the other members of this forum! i can progress more than you in one skill but not in another one...find the way wich is the best for you and the motivation to continue and achieve your result!!

nothing is simple...i the beginning i could not do anything on the rings but...damnation i wasn't a gymnast...i didn't have the same foundations as them...but this wasn't be an obstacle for me...but a reason to persist, resist and believe that if i want a thing i can do everything to get it!!! with the time the satisfactions become...and trust me...it's worth!!!

hours and hours to take a f******g (sorry) circle on the muschroom....but a circle!!!!

be patience!!! i can understand you...

No one can make that judgement besides you. However, if in a year i achieve what you have, I would consider that to be reasonable and on target with my proforma milestones and would be satisfied.

Animalonfire

caution, cussing. Moderators remove it if you see fit, personally I think it aids my expression.

Sometimes I think I have a really high myostatin level or something. I see all these other people who have been training less time than me and have achieved so much more, it's very deflating. It's not like I'm big or anything either, so I should have much better results by now.

This is coming from the guy that posts a video of Liu Wei? Grow a pair!

take some time off, have your HCL checked out etc but please don't start bitching when your results are anything less than perfect, else the whole forum would be full of whines. Does anyone know how to contact Liu Wei? Perhaps we could tell him about triangle's tragic situation, and see if he cries? And while we're at it Lance Armstrong and Stephen Hawking may also be filled with sorrow at this tale of sheer woe.

And by the by, your results are nothing less than what I expect to achieve in 3 months time. The rest of us do not cruise through progressions without fault, over a period of weeks, whilst working out casually 2x/week either. What makes us progress is having the balls to get on with it, and the brains to do it efficiently. You've got one in the bag for sure, the other you can work on.

Needless to say: no personal insult intended.

Neal Winkler

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments. I do enjoy gymnastics training, it is the most fun ever. However, I seem to be getting results at only half the pace as others. I'm not one of these spring 20 year old chickens on here, but I'm not 40+ either (no offense to our elder statesmen on the board :wink: ). I'm not tall, nor do I have excess bf levels.

I'm not ready to quit just yet, but I think I needed to vent more than anything. A few more cycles and I will re-evaluate if this is really the type of training for me (enjoyment is great but bad results won't cut it).

Thanks again for your words of encouragement everyone.

Kyle Courville

I started to play the snare drum when I was eleven. I didn’t like the teacher much. He was often rude and unpleasant to be around. I played for a half a year didn’t progress so I quit. At the time all I cared about was being as good as “that drummer†I saw, and I was always scared of making the director mad. When the director asked why I quit I said I just didn’t want to play anymore. Next school year it was either French with a mean lady or band. I heard there was a new band director. I decided to give band another try. That’s when I met one of the coolest people I would ever know. The new band director was awesome. I started to play the snare drum again. The first year was really fun. Band was my favorite hour of school and the reason I wanted to go to school. I made a good bit of improvement my first year without even noticing. I just now looked back and realized it wasn’t that I didn’t want to play the drums it’s just that it wasn’t fun.

Not that you should compare yourself to others, but there were these two people in a higher grade who were so much better than me when I “really†started playing the snare drum in seventh grade. They were better than me up until high school. A few years later I can easily play way better than them. I have also developed my own signature sound that is always changing.

Moral: enjoy what you do and forget the "I have to do this by then" attitude and progress will come naturally and won't really matter anymore

P.S. If you really need some motivation read some Naruto it is a very inspiring manga series

Chris Hansen
I do enjoy gymnastics training, it is the most fun ever. However, I seem to be getting results at only half the pace as others.

You just said it. You enjoy it and you're making progress.

Some people seem to progress faster but that's life. If you keep at it you'll only get better.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

+1.

You come across as someone with a very inquiring, scientific mindset (I am a scientist so I should know) and one of the major pitfalls of this mindset is the belief that anything and anyone can be classified and that as soon as you have classified something (yourself in this case) you can predict how it will behave and develop under specific circumstances.

This is simply not true. Even in very simple laboratory setups it's hard to control (or even know) all variables, let alone in hugely complex systems such as you and me. There can literally be thousands of reasons why two persons of the same age, build, and general health will react completely different to identical stimuli (training stimuli in this case).

The fact that you believe that you are expected to reach certain goals within a set timeframe based on who you are (from a physical point of view) may very well be one of the major reasons you're not living up to those expectations (this sounds corny but as you get older you will find out why some cliché's have become cliché's - they simply are true)(this coming from an ancient 36-year old ;)).

I couldn`t agree more nor couldn`t have said it better. Thanks biomieg good post.

Hang in there! The only thing I can say is that every person has their own individual key to fast progress, my progress has been pretty bad until I found out that volume was my thing to work with. (doing 10 second sets of 20 sec adv tuck front lever 4 times a week). A general rule as well that if what you're doing isn't working that well; change it or at least drastically adapt it.

If the WoD doesn't cause enough stimulus for you to perform better, try adding another light session to the day, add the warmup like Slizzard/Coach recommends. Titrate in exercises in the warmup/postworkout, like a few (easy) reps of Front Lever Rows before and after the WoD. Also alternating intensity/volume like Ido preaches does miracles as well, so does working between the 5-15 rep range if you're used to constantly working in the 1-5.

Adding an extra FSP warmup/easy FBE workout 6 hours before or after your WoD is also something that is very helpful if you can tolerate the extra work.

Another thing that might help is working on potential weak links (extra work with the plane of pushing/pulling or variation of core exercise that you are weak in relative to the others) by adding some volume in there. Like the Charles Poliquin principle; do a set of that plane (a submaximal one of course) between every other set. And the standard things like external rotators, scalpular retraction/depression!

Anyway, there's alot that can be changed/adapted. I'd say, keep experimenting around until you find your groove! Alot of coaches produce superhuman athletes (Ido, Coach Sommer, Charles Poliquin) but not everyone they take in are freaks of nature, and I'd say most of the forum got where they are by hard work and self experimenting (Slizz! Shout out to you xD). And I'm confident that the moment you find what makes you click, that your progress will skyrocket as well. Since the intent for hard work really seems there for you triangle.

Warning: trainer lecture incoming.

After reading your post, I see an immediate red flag. Bad results often have a basis in what you're not doing. Blaming the system (or the trainer) is by far the least useful thing to come on here and do. Coach Sommer's system produces results. I've seen it in person with those I've met who've trained under him, with every single client of mine, and with others on this board. A better attitude is to post where you're at and ask for help to figure out why you're not as progressed as you feel you would like.

Now, if you want help, we're going to need some more background information. Tell us about how consistently you train the WoD, whether you add or subtract anything (missing sets, taking out an exercise, etc), and any additional work you do on top of it (anything physical, BJJ included). What is your nutritional lifestyle like? Your sleep patterns? Have you looked at whether your body is in structural balance or not? Do you do joint work? Flexibility training (type, frequency, details!)? What is your posture like? Before you began the gymnastic bodies program, what did you do? how long? And who exactly are you comparing yourself to in this post? It'd help to know exactly where you think you should be.

I have a million more angles to go from until we find what helps you. But you need to invest in attitude first. It seems a huge contradiction to me to say you enjoy doing something but are fed up with a lack of results. Whenever a client makes a similar statement, it tells me something else is going on. And to be frank, it's usually because they ignore something I've told them. So let's get to the root of whatever is holding you back, whether it's an error of commission or omission doesn't really matter.

In most cases, it's something simple that creates a stumbling block. And often times we're not even aware of it. For example, I just had my spiral myofascial line worked on Friday. I like to think I know my body well, but my therapist found things I'd never even realized. And 90 minutes later of basic structural integration, I was seeing noticeable improvement to my performance. And not only that, within two days I had gone from 7% to 5% body fat (detox effect from flushing estrogen out of my legs), gained 1.7 pounds, added nearly two inches to my vertical jump, gained flexibility, and lost an insane amount of body tension that I'd never been able to get rid of. If you honestly enjoy doing gymnastics, don't give up on it, use the expertise on the boards to help you.

Alot of coaches produce superhuman athletes (Ido, Coach Sommer, Charles Poliquin) but not everyone they take in are freaks of nature

Amen. The mark of a good coach is to raise all your athletes up to a high level and not just the ones who'll get there regardless of what you do.

Didnt read the other posts, just some thoughts:

1) Eating and sleeping are more than half your training

2) Do the right ammount of training (for me is 3 times/week ) and be consistent 90% of time

3) Concentrate your energies on 2 skills only, one primary and the latter optional

4) Enjoy the process and be patient. Some like slizzardman are huge but they freak out for every second of arc angle they get, while they continue to do the same routine for like 6 weeks! That's the spirit.

5) The people here are some of the best of the world. Even if they are mediocre, there is something like 6 billion of people who dont train at all. Or cant. We re lucky to train without food or flood problems.