Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paleo Diet Studies

Jay Guindon

Don't know if you guys have seen these but here are two studies done on paleo diets one vs the typical diabetes diet and one vs the mediterranean diet. In both cases the paleo diet improved health measures more than the other. They are the full study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 0-8-35.pdf

http://www.springerlink.com/content/h76 ... lltext.pdf

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I've been on the Paleo diet for 2 years and it might be boring but its gives best results.

Neal Winkler

Ok, I'll start by saying why I don't think you should get too excited by these studies.

In both studies, the total calories and carbohydrates were significantly lower than the other treatment.

Since the paleo diet is a claim that we should eliminate certain food groups, these studies do not allow us to know if the greater effect was from the elimination of those food groups or if it is simply better to reduce calories and/or carbs.

As of yet, controlled trials have yet to prove the superiority of a paleo diet.

Regradless of whether it was the carbs or calories or food choices whatever eating paleo did worked. Their health markers were still better after being instructed to eat a certain way vs. the other. I do definitely agree that they cannot claim what caused the paleo diet to work, but it worked better than the other two diets. Maybe it was the carbs, or the calories, and if you only ate one slice of toast per day and a glass of skim milk and vegetables and fish you'd get the same results as paleo, but paleo seems to be an easy way to restrict calories and carbs without specifically having to worry about these things. Maybe whole grains are fine at low amounts but it's easier to just get rid of them then only have a half cup of oats and slice of bread per day. The thing is that people eat way more grain than that. Just another way to look at it. I'm not saying you're wrong, it absolutely cannot rule out the carb/calorie difference as being the cause and not the food choices, but I'm asking if that really matters if it gets better results?

The other problem is the lack of RCTs on paleo specifically. I could only find three on humans and the one I didn't post was because I couldn't get the full article. The fourth was on pigs. If another ten studies come out showing similar benefits, regardless of mechanism, it will be easier to see the benefits of a paleo diet.

Neal Winkler
Regradless of whether it was the carbs or calories or food choices whatever eating paleo did worked. Their health markers were still better after being instructed to eat a certain way vs. the other. I do definitely agree that they cannot claim what caused the paleo diet to work, but it worked better than the other two diets. Maybe it was the carbs, or the calories, and if you only ate one slice of toast per day and a glass of skim milk and vegetables and fish you'd get the same results as paleo, but paleo seems to be an easy way to restrict calories and carbs without specifically having to worry about these things. Maybe whole grains are fine at low amounts but it's easier to just get rid of them then only have a half cup of oats and slice of bread per day. The thing is that people eat way more grain than that. Just another way to look at it. I'm not saying you're wrong, it absolutely cannot rule out the carb/calorie difference as being the cause and not the food choices, but I'm asking if that really matters if it gets better results?

I think it matters because advocates of paleo are making specific truth claims and I care about truth. What I take away from the studies in terms of practical guidelines is that a paleo diet does not seem to be harmful to the parameters tested. So, it is probably a healthy and viable diet.

Another thing to look out for is bone density. A paleo diet gets much less calcium than a diet which includes dairy, but neither of these studies looked at changes in bone mass density. Yes, I am fully aware of the paleo counter to this, but the whole acid-base thing is not that solid.

Yes, bone density is something that needs to be covered for sure. I also am unsure of the acid - base thing. Seems like more a theory than a proven fact. Much more health parameters need to be tested for paleo diets as well as the only two focus on heart health and diabetes markers.

I read the other day, unfortunately can't remember where, about a study that proved actual calcium loss due to drinking milk... but honestly I'm having a really really hard time believing that until I see the study myself. (think it was referenced but I wasn't arsed looking)

Neal Winkler

Another reason why it is important to know if the benefit was from the food choices and not just reduction in calories/carbs is that the elimination of food groups may create or contribute to food neurosis.

You guys should check out the Spartan Health Regimen. Its got A LOT of good information in it and the benefits are truly amazing. http://www.spartanhealth.com/program It only costs $77 and I've used it for quite some time and its got a lot of great info. Similar to the caveman thing but I've found this diet extremely more effective for physique, energy, and all around phenomenal health.

Sorry Yeti, but only 1 post and the only useful information given is a link to a $77 program. You would at the very least have to describe and explain WHY the results are better compared to the paleo or in your case the warrior diet.

He/She is proabably trying to sell the program.

you're right ha ha that sounds kinda like a salesman. Sorry I didn't elaborate. I joined the forums so I could get a feel for the community before I get the book. Alright well basically its not as limiting as the paleo diet and is a lot more manageable. Its not hard to do and it feels good for your body. The guy came out with this stuff back in 1997 so he's pretty ahead for his time. Here's a review and the guy who did it kind of gives an overall at what its about. http://www.strongerfasterfitter.com/spartan-diet-a-review/ I'm not here to sell anything just help with some very useful info. I'm more than willing to share what I know for free for those interested.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.