Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fat/oil choice for high temperature cooking

Ryan Libke

I was just reading another thread discussing cooking oil choices, and whether olive oil is good for cooking. What about high temperature cooking? Like in a wok. Olive oil would certainly not work. I didn't think that coconut oil can take really high temps. Is there anything that can? Traditionally, I have heard that peanut oil is often used for wok cooking. What are the other options? Sesame? Pork fat?

A rather competent danish guy told me that as long as the olive oil doesn't smoke, there should be no problems. Can anyone confirm?

I just fear a page dedicated to olive oil is biased. But it did answer my smoking question in which case I will continue to use olive oil.

Joshua Naterman
Does this help?

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/heating-olive-oil

I see Canola oil on the list and have to say - stay away from Canola oil, toxic.

Absolutely, unless it is a very expensive canola oil. Apparently it is quite costly to extract the oil without chemicals. There are a few other oils like that as well, I would absolutely recommend checking the page and then using other sources like what you have there to confirm certain things. It's never good to assume the truth from one source! :)

The page actually explains all of that, and gets in depth into the pros and cons of the different oils. It's an exceptionally good resource and as far as I can tell it is not biased towards any product, unless you count the fact that it is biased towards non-chemical extraction methods.

Expeller pressed canola oil doesn't use as many chemicals, as far as I am aware. I usually cannot find it at the nearby grocery store. I can find it at trader Joes or Whole Foods.

Joshua Naterman

If it says "organic" you know you are safe. I would imagine that TJ has that, but I don't know. I don't shop there often.

The lesser an oil is heated the better its nutrient value. As you heat beyond a certain point they tend to start becoming carcinogenic. Careful :)

Nicholas Sortino

For high heat cooking I would suggest Macadamia nut oil. Its smoke point is 450*f, more than hot enough to stirfry. It also has a nice flavor imo. Macnut Oil is the brand to go with there.

Refined coconut oil can get pretty hot, and although it is not as good as the unrefined version, it is still healthier than PUFA oils.

I do most of my cooking in beef or lamb tallow (lard). I've never actually tried to stir fry in it, but I have gotten it pretty hot without setting things aflame. If you get it grass-fed it is easily the healthiest choice of any "oils" to cook in.

All I have to say is avoid any oil high in Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids. Those things are terrible for you, since all of them (except flax which you can't cook with and has a nearly useless type of Omega-3) are so high in Omega-6s which I guarantee you get more than you need already if you eat anything modern (especially grain).

• 2 weeks later...
I just fear a page dedicated to olive oil is biased. But it did answer my smoking question in which case I will continue to use olive oil.

I do a lot of cooking with olive oil and that's been my general rule of thumb. Glad to hear its not out-dated.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.