Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robb Wolf's New Book

Scott Malin

I didn't see a thread either here or in community forums about this, so hopefully it's not a double post :D Robb's new book comes out soon. If it's anything like his blogs, this is a recommended read.

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solution-Original-Human-Diet/dp/0982565844/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281990380&sr=8-1

Below is the Table of Contents (also viewable on Amazon):

Acknowledgements

Foreword

Prologue

My Story, Your Story, Our Story (Cheezy, but true)

Hunter Gatherers are Us

Knowledge is Power: But it Will Not Run a Hair Dryer

Digestion: Where the Rubber Hits the Road

Resistance is Futile: "What We Have Here is a Failure to Communicate"

Grains and Leaky Gut or Keep Your Poop Where It Belongs

Fat: Have a Seat, This May Take a Little While

Stress and Cortisol or Why This Book Should be Titled: Sleep You Big Dummy

Ancestral Fitness

Implementing the Paleo Solution: It's Easy, Really

Tracking Your Progress

Thirty-Day Meal Plan

Supplements

Epilogue

References

I don't have any Paleo books but this looks like a good starting point.

The book has an extensive 'look inside' they are usually so short that they are useless.

I haven't listened to Robb much though i see that Coach Sommer endorses him. I think i listened to the wrong Podcast and it put me off. He had some guests on who were very hardcore and belittled everyone who wrote questions in if they violated the Paleo ethic in the smallest way. I should give him another chance.

Edit: Just preordered from Bookdepository (free shipping anywhere in Europe)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780982565841/The-Paleo-Solution?b=-3&t=-26#Bibliographicdata-26

Joshua Naterman

Robb himself is pretty level-headed, I mean he recognizes the benefits of Olive oil and a bunch of other stuff. He's not a paleo bandwagoner, you know? I don't know what podcast you heard, the first one I heard of his was really good. You know, it would be funny if we were talking about the same podcast. I'm just saying... :lol:

I plan to purchase the book. While I remain skeptical about some parts of the paleo diet approach, I think there is much to be learned from Mr. Wolf. The parts that I read on Amazon were enjoyable and educational. I have found the publisher, Victory Belt, to have generally offered quality books on the martial arts, so this is another reason to buy the book.

As to the podcasts, I have not listened to them all, and started at the beginning. So far it is very interesting. I would not be surprised, though, if there are paleo extremists out there. Any diet seems to attract people who think rigidly. Mr. Wolf sounds to be pretty open minded.

I have been following Robb Wolf's work for quite some time and I have to say he is quite level headed and science based. He really uses the paleo approach as start off point. This is good because I have found some paleo experts spend their time debating what the best foods are and what paleo foods are based on fossil records, inference etc. and then say these are the foods we should because that's what our ancestors ate. That whole charade holds no water or credibility when it comes to scrutinizing a diet. The paleo concept is interesting in that it frames diet in a specific way to be analyzed based on real science. This way we can say "it seems for the last few million years humans have eaten lot's of meat. Now let's look at pubmed and see what controlled trials have been done on meat consumption of varying types, amounts, etc. and what were the results." This seems to be the type of work Robb Wolf does, and maybe even to a greater extent, Mat Lalonde as well.

It just seems to be that generally the way we believe our ancestors may have eaten seems to be, based on the literature, good for people's health. Of course there are nuances, like olive and coconut oil, while not available to cavemen are to us and are good for us. Whey protein seems to have some good science backing it as a healthy source of protein and promoter of glutathion production...definitely not paleo though. People just need to not get so caught up on the whole paleo/not paleo thing and realize it's really just a hypotheses for testing what foods are good for us and not so good for us.

I for one will be getting the book because I am a sucker for reading the references in books and then looking at the studies and I understand this book has quite a few.

I agree totally, Jay. The idea behind Paleo in the first place was to shift our paradigm to look at diet more effectively. When you lose sight of that purpose, it's time to reconsider whether you're approaching your research scientifically or viscerally. Robb does a good job of keeping perspective, which is why I'm excited for this book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't have any Paleo books but this looks like a good starting point.

The book has an extensive 'look inside' they are usually so short that they are useless.

I haven't listened to Robb much though i see that Coach Sommer endorses him. I think i listened to the wrong Podcast and it put me off. He had some guests on who were very hardcore and belittled everyone who wrote questions in if they violated the Paleo ethic in the smallest way. I should give him another chance.

Edit: Just preordered from Bookdepository (free shipping anywhere in Europe)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780982565841/The-Paleo-Solution?b=-3&t=-26#Bibliographicdata-26

Thanks for the advice (bookdepository) !

I certainly will order it too :wink:

Edit : "out of stock"

Wow that was fast!

I just got my copy in the mail today, so far so good. Like a perfectly cooked steak, not to dry.

I'm glad Bookdepository was helpful, since i found them my book buying has gone way up, amazing what free postage and to the door delivery do.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished this book and I loved it. Robb goes into the science of why certain foods are healthy and others aren't. In spite of the science (which I loved) the book also seems to have an appeal to the average American who doesn't have a clue about good food choices.

I've already ordered a second book for a friend whose recent heart trouble has motivated him to change his diet and I plan to order a few more for Christmas for a few more folks that I think will be receptive.

• 4 weeks later...
Alvaro Antolinez

Well I am still reading the book , but I can tell that I like a lot how he approaches the matter! and enjoying it greatly, so far I only can find a mistake at which I find authoritative enough to correct Mr. Wolf. (note: don´t read if you are sensible to bad words :wink: )

At the page 84 he writes :

" caca de torro" : is not "torro" is "toro" bull in English but I´ll concede a typo here ;) . But if you say "caca de toro" is as saying bull poo, which IMHO is a slightly sissy way to express your opinion( please don´t ever say that phrase in Spain or people will LTAO miserably). Here in Spain we rather say "mierda", much more explicit and 100 times better(in an odd way) than caca . So better say "Mierda de toro", or if you want the proper slang "y una mierda" or the definitive " y una puta mierda!" ( a f***** bull s****).

All this is much much more gross and I understand that Mr. Wolf obviously didn´t express himself like that in a book, but just wanted to point it for the sake of truth. :D

This is a joke but if somebody finds it offending please feel free to ask a moderator to erase it.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.