Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beer

meep

I know from reading that many of you have a strong opinion on wheat, while i might not agree with some of the science you mention, i do agree that wheat generally is not good for the digestive system. But what is every ones opinion on beer? should i switch to a non grain based beverage or is the odd pint (one or two a week) fine?

George Launchbury

Hey meep,

I wouldn't have thought a couple of beers per week will have any noticeable impact on your health! :)

Cheers,

George.

Graham Hayes

My opinion is if you want to drink beer with your mates then crack on. It's better for your mental well being to have a full and normal social life without torturing yourself with drinks products that you force yourself to drink for health reasons. Remember drinking booze invariably leads to kebabs and fried chicken, don't kid yourself by drinking "healthy" if that's even possible:P

Dear Graham,

Even though I may be a student, I left the lifestyle behind almost as soon as I got it! I was talking more about the post training pint with friends rather then a night out. With drinking the amount normally associated with nights out (at least in the UK) I personally would be more worried about long term liver damage then the effects of wheat in my Beers.

George, that was my exact thoughts on the pints and I am not an elite athlete, so I did not think that it would make much difference to my training.

I wouldn't drink any alcohol in the magic hour after a workout. Alcohol period, if you do not drink it often seems to knock my friends and I workout ability back for up to two days.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with beer is not simply the extra calories, but that it is very oestrogenic. So, I think drinking after a workout is a really bad idea if you care about strength and/or size. You all probably already know this, but upping oestrogen is a a great way to get manboobs and put on fat in general.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Chimay, but don't overdo it, especially as you get older, and don't drink it in the two hour period of awesome muscle-building potential after your workouts (this is when you should be eating a ton of protein and carbs...if you want to get bigger).

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.