• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mats Trane

• Razz

• Alvaro Antolinez

• Cole Dano

Michael Traynor

as soon as we get the good word from Coach S I will be booking all the flights and hotel, want to make sure I am with the rest of you guys as much as is possible as i've actually never travelled abroad before! Picked up my spanish phrasebook and learning some stuff ;)

Nicholas Sortino

I am really on the fence about this... It would be pretty expensive to go, but I do really want to, and I don't know that I would be able to make another in the next year do to training. We are at a lull right now, and I would be able to take time off, but flights are my biggest hang-up...

Also the issue of getting a civilian passport in time... I only have my govt one right now... When is the deadline?

Edit: Just checked, cheapest flights I could find are ~$800. $1000 for the seminar. And how much for the hotel?

In all honesty, it probably wouldn't be much more than flying to AZ and getting a hotel for the normal price of $1500 for all 3... Plus I do want to see another country that isn't in the middle east...

Sounds like a no brainer Nick!

I'm sure if you PM'd the Coach you could work out any problems with the deadline.

Nicholas Sortino

Well, I gotta talk to the wife about it, of course. And hurry up and get that passport thing taken care of.

But I am definite swaying towards the go side. Hopefully I can make things work out for this.

Alvaro Antolinez

Well 80 euros for three days with breakfast, hotel first line at the beach is almost impossible to improve! Even with hostel lost in the middle of nowhere :). Once We have the ok from Coach I'll close the agreement with the hotel and give you the data for booking. I only hope they don't increase the price at all!

Alvaro Antolinez

The best option IMHO is the Leo Roc hotel. Is only 5 min from the airport and 10 from the gimnastic facilities. Just in front of the beach and with plenty of restaurants and shops around.

That sounds pretty awesome!

Lets hope the green light is coming soon, seems like it should be very close.

Michael Traynor

Yeah i'm definately going with Om's beach, 5 min airport, 10 min gymnastics facility hotel, sounds like win/win to me. :) What is the airport called? want to look into flights to make sure all is good.

Nicholas Sortino

Wife gave the ok, although she is very jealous :twisted:

Just gotta wait till the new fiscal year and certain funds open up and I will begin getting this all figured out. Since if I have never traveled outside the US without the military, any advice from experienced travelers would be appreciated.

Alvaro Antolinez

The airport's name is Palma de Mallorca "son san joan" or iata code PMI, LEPA Is the ICAO code if you prefere it ;D.

@ Nick don't adjust too much your conection times or is possible to lose the next flight at a big international airport as Heathrow or charles de gaulle. At least 3 hours of connection time to be in the safe side. Also always keep yor credit cards passport and money with you! Dont put them on a bag, or infront of your seat or something similar! As US soldier forgot his wallet with everything at my plane two months ago and he was connecting to Miamy :shock: ( we managed to give it him back)

also carry a small bag with underwear and the basic stuff for 2 dAys just in case they lose your lugage!( very frequent when connecting)

Michael Traynor

Thanks for the advice Om! This will also be my first trip abroad and my first time on a plane (shocking for a 24 year old these days) just awaiting final checks on my passport but they said I should have it in time, first time adult passports need interviews these days so they can make sure you are not a terrorist.

Nicholas Sortino
The airport's name is Palma de Mallorca "son san joan" or iata code PMI, LEPA Is the ICAO code if you prefere it ;D.

@ Nick don't adjust too much your conection times or is possible to lose the next flight at a big international airport as Heathrow or charles de gaulle. At least 3 hours of connection time to be in the safe side. Also always keep yor credit cards passport and money with you! Dont put them on a bag, or infront of your seat or something similar! As US soldier forgot his wallet with everything at my plane two months ago and he was connecting to Miamy :shock: ( we managed to give it him back)

also carry a small bag with underwear and the basic stuff for 2 dAys just in case they lose your lugage!( very frequent when connecting)

Thanks. I plan on packing very light. Just a carry on, nothing checked.

I've looked at flights and it seems for that day coming out of Dulles; everything is to Madrid and has a layover from 0720 - 1740. Seems like quite a long time to sit in an airport, any ideas?

Thanks. I plan on packing very light. Just a carry on, nothing checked.

I've looked at flights and it seems for that day coming out of Dulles; everything is to Madrid and has a layover from 0720 - 1740. Seems like quite a long time to sit in an airport, any ideas?

I think you could safely plan on getting out and seeing some of Madrid. That's a pretty healthy layover.

Back in the day, it was fairly safe to cut it close getting to the airport. Now with all the security checks, be on time that means 3 hours for international flights, and 90 minutes to 2 hours for the domestic to and from LP. Still that leaves plenty of time for you to get out of the airport.

I haven't traveld with the Military, but i'd imagine the biggest difference is the security checks, and keeping track of passports and boarding passes.

Nice to have you join the crew, i guess i'm not the only one with a supportive Misses.

Anyone have any advice for travelling with supplements? I mean I've done it before but never know if they suddenly think all that powder is coke or something :mrgreen:

Michael Traynor

My friend recently took some PHD pharma whey to Thailand, she had it in her luggage and it was a new tub so sealed and obviously branded, she had no problems, not sure about if you were decanting your powders into travel sized tuperware type containers like I do though...good question.

They have testing equipment at most airports, if it really goes that far, other than loosing some time you won't have any problems.

Alvaro Antolinez

Liquids is the thing they are looking for. I you travel with soluble wey I dont think it will be a problem. They detect drugs with dogs initially. Also inside europe there is no problem as is schengen space , no inmigration or customs.

Visiting madrid is a good option if you have never been there! With one hour and a half you are more than ok if you allready have the boarding pass! You can go to the city with subway and is like 40 min to downtown. Nice renacentist streets at the old part and good restaurants also!

I might be able to help find decent airfares for people such as NickEOD. Just running a quick search I was able to find Norfolk (ORF) - Palma (PMI) for $617 total. Leaving Wednesday, Nov 17th, arrive 18th, Return on Monday, Nov. 22. The maximum time layover (in MAD and BCN) is only 2 hours on those flights. If you give me specific dates and cities I will do my best to help.

Nicholas Sortino
I might be able to help find decent airfares for people such as NickEOD. Just running a quick search I was able to find Norfolk (ORF) - Palma (PMI) for $617 total. Leaving Wednesday, Nov 17th, arrive 18th, Return on Monday, Nov. 22. The maximum time layover (in MAD and BCN) is only 2 hours on those flights. If you give me specific dates and cities I will do my best to help.

Wow, that is awesome. I had been looking from Dulles because it is such a big airport, but flying out from here for less is crazy.

Those dates are the best times for me to travel, but I have to wait a few days before I try to book anything. Has this thing been confirmed yet?

Wow, that is awesome. I had been looking from Dulles because it is such a big airport, but flying out from here for less is crazy.

Those dates are the best times for me to travel, but I have to wait a few days before I try to book anything. Has this thing been confirmed yet?

Absolutely it's best to wait until things are confirmed and given the time of year and base fares I don't think you have to worry about the fares going up over the next week or so. The basic routing I found for Nick is ORF-IAD-MAD-PMI on United Airlines and Spanair. As I said if you do want to attend from the states I can help whittle the fare down to reasonable levels...