Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GB European Seminar - interested?

Razz

Nicholas Sortino

Hmm, 46-64.... Guess I should pack some warm stuff. And :( on not needing a suit. I guess it is just one less thing to pack. I did get to wear some here. Everyone in Yokohama wears a suit, but they have no sense of style. Every suit is black with a white shirt, no variety at all

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mats Trane

• Razz

• Alvaro Antolinez

• Cole Dano

So guys, how does the bus from the airport to the hotel work exactly? Turns out it's like $300 cheaper if I arrive on the 17th instead of the 18th, so any local tips appreciated.

Also, are Spanish airports dicks about liquids? I don't wanna check any bags, and buying a new can of deodorant every time I fly is the suck :\

Alvaro Antolinez

Sorry to tell you they follow standard European pain in the a*** security rules about liquids here too :( .

Here you have a map we made where you´ll find info about buses to take, timetables, touristic info and all that, also we´ll be posting a BRIEFING shortly (it should be posted by now but I´ve been very busy lately )

http://maps.google.es/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&h ... 86459&z=11

Here people is mostly informal, shirt and dockers or maybe a suit jacket with jeans is the most dressed you´ll see people around here, unless you work in a bank or you are italian! ;)(or a wedding)

Oh man, awesome map! thanks.

Which reminds me, any idea if I can get a local SIM card in the airport? I'll die before I pay roaming fees.

Alvaro Antolinez

I can´t remember if there is a telephony shop at the airport but surely you´ll find some close to the hotel, maybe best bet is using skype if you have a smartphone.

Joshua Naterman

Why bring food to spain? Don't they have good food there?

I am just hungry all the time, so in case anyone else is like that I say food! :lol: I really do eat pretty much all the time whenever I can.

Alvaro Antolinez

Ups I have a not so beautiful notice, :( . I didn´t take into account the VAT with the tshirts price which means adding a 18% to the price I gave you, I am sorry , I hope is not a problem for anyone! (it means more or less 4,30 euros for pack 1, 3,20 for pack 2, and 1 euro for the tshirts) . Sorry again guys about this as it is completely my fault.

Nicholas Sortino

Is that some sorta tax? 18% sales tax is ludicrous.

BTW, have he come up with a time to meet in the hotel thursday evening? I will be there before a lot of you guys, so it would be nice to meet up when you get there to get some food. And my phone will not work in spain :( apparently the cell signal and data used there is compatible with my phone... even though it is the top of the line phone in the US...

Alvaro Antolinez

yep VAT is European tax, and it is different depending the article and the country. Of course there are other indirect taxes to pay. :( . Thursday afternoon should be a bunch of people already.

The world's cell phone networks are one of the more blatant examples of mass international stupidity. I suggest getting a cheap prepay at the first airport you land in; even if your phone did work, the roaming fees are simply ridiculous.

And don't worry about the taxes too much, they'll be raised back home soon enough :)

EDIT: Incidentally, I'll be arriving at 12:55 on Wednesday.

Is there a group meeting place planed for either the evening before or the morning of the seminar to find out where the bus is etc?

We are coming in a day early - see you all in Mallorca!

Nicholas Sortino

Razz suggested the Lobby at 1900 on thursday evening. I think it will be pretty easy to come up with a meeting time then, and then those of us who want to go out can. I want to see if spain is as awesome as Japan was (spent waaay to much time drinking... can't here though since we have activities during the day, lol)

Michael Traynor

I arrive at the Airport at 18:20 so not certain i'll make 19:00 in the Lobby but will try to anyway. I'm leaving at 5a.m. Thursday morning though so maybe it would be better if I do miss you guys ;)

What about the next morning? Are we having an Itinerary? Time to meet in the Lobby to go to the gym :)

omegant: me + 1 are only doing day 1 of seminar but are hanging around Mallorca through Sunday afternoon. And count us in for any and all shenanigans :mrgreen: but we don't arrive until 18:45 on Thursday.

If group shenanigans are planned it'd be great to know tomorrow, so I can go do something ELSE before y'all arrive :)

Nicholas Sortino
I arrive at the Airport at 18:20 so not certain i'll make 19:00 in the Lobby but will try to anyway. I'm leaving at 5a.m. Thursday morning though so maybe it would be better if I do miss you guys ;)

What about the next morning? Are we having an Itinerary? Time to meet in the Lobby to go to the gym :)

Im leaving on wednesday and not getting there till 1055 on thursday. The joys of international travel. At least it won't be as bad as my last trip. It took me 26hrs of traveling to get to Japan and 23hrs to get back home.

Maybe 2000 would be better for the people arriving a little late? I wonder what the exchange rate is for Yen to Euro... I've still got a pocket full of yen. Also, what are outlets like over there, I will probably need an adapter for my computer in the hotel, right?

I wish I could use my official passport for this... I get to use the diplomat lines with that and skip everyone at customs and immigration

Alvaro Antolinez

We are finishing the briefing, it will be posted later today. But expect to be ready at 08:00 friday morning at the hotel lobby. Serotonin or me will be there to coordinate with the bus. Thursday evening I cant join for the dinner.

Usually at the reception they should have different adapters for the computers and battery chargers. Do you have the flat blade plug? I think I have one at home that I can lend you if they don't have one at the hotel. Wifi at the hotel is something like 2 euros/ hour but only at the lobby. Also there should be bars around with free wifi.

David Picó García

Briefing

-arrival to the airport and transport to the hotel. We recomend taking the line bus ( info on timetables and line numbers on the map) as the hotel is pretty close to the airport and a taxi is not worth the cost. If you would like to take a taxi anyway, you can go the usuall cue or go to departures floor and try to take one taxi that is droping people , there are several reasons for this. First is that the taxi drivers waiting at the airport cue are not the most honest ones, second is that the hotel is so close to the airport that is possible that he will be upset for waiting the cue for such a short trip. If at any point you have a problem with a taxi, don't argue just ask for a ticket and tell us ( writting a formal complain is the best way to deal with this). The hotel is at "Can Pastilla" which is neighborhood from the city of Palma.

- seminar pick up : friday and saturday, bus will be at the hotel at 8:00 am departure 8:10 to be at the facilities at 8:25 more or less. Return 16:45

Sunday pick up at the hotel 07:30 return 1520.

All the time tables could be modified by the Coach

At the gym there is a changing room with showers. You can bring food and drinks. Also We are planing to buy water bottles for everybody. We'll bring also some basic anti inflammatories (paracetamol or ibuprofene gel, reflex).

There are some menu restaurants close to the sports center, probably is the best option for lunch.

-activities: talking with Dillon he told that we will be tired after the seminar ;). The bus will return to the hotel , that way those who want to rest will be able to do it. If there is a group who wants to visit palma can take the public bus, it goes directly to the city center. Also renting a bike os a good idea, you can follow a bike track that goes along the sea front till the city.

-precautions( for those not used to spain): there is almost no violent crime here , but at the touristic zones there are lots of pick pockers, and some other oportunistic thieves and cheaters. Do not play any street gambling is a hoax !!! It Is impossible to win.

What you can do is buy from street vendors selling chinese made famous brand copies but try to negotiate!

You can trust police, if you have any problem they will help you( usually ) but they don't speak too much english. XD

In case of need:

Omegant- Alvaro: cell phone. (+34) 629456770 mail omeganter@gmail.com

Serotonin - David: cell phone. (+34) 659319656 mail david.pico@gmail.com (iphone always with me so i check mail instantly, if someone can't phone because roaming...)

If you need help or want to ask something don't hesitate. We will help in everything we can.

Hope you enjoy your visit at Palma de Mallorca.

Alvaro and David.

Awesome guys!!! Can't frikkin wait! Only thing is I have so bad planning.. did no packing or anything yet, don't even know where my passport is..thank god I just remembered I have to bring that :P