Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jordan Jovtchev Warm Up

Joshua Chan

Joshua Chan

Hello everyone,

Anyone interested in starting advanced ring strength should be able to do the exact same things: PL, PL press to HS, Pl Push-ups, Press HS´s. I watched this video when I just started gymnastics, so I took my basic strength to this level before starting Adv. ring strength and the results are amazing: No injuries whatsoever and the elements came much much sooner than expected, I started my advanced ring strength about two months ago and I now have a Solid 5 Iron Cross, Straddle Maltese and Planche.

Needless to say, every single part of my strength training was based on the WOD´s. Thanks Coach,

The second video is of Chen Yibing performing some Ring Strength, take a look and the dynamic bicep-curls he performs, as explosive as possible using a LOT of weight. Enjoy.

yqvOLHC-1sk

• 2 months later...

Hey Josh, hope you are doing well man. I know you said you did the WOD's to build up the strength. What did your FSP warmups look like before doing each WOD. Congratulations on your accomplishments as well! That's some crazy strength you have.

-Justin

Joshua Naterman

Yes, excellent strength! I pretty much plan to do the same thing, build up to the "basics" before worrying about any advanced ring strength.

Was your planche on the ground with fingers back?

Hey Josh, hope you are doing well man. I know you said you did the WOD's to build up the strength. What did your FSP warmups look like before doing each WOD. Congratulations on your accomplishments as well! That's some crazy strength you have.

-Justin

Thanks Justin. My training routine is the following. Monday and Thursday is ring strength. I do 5 holds of 5 seconds each. For Iron cross, straddle planche and straddle maltese. Tuesday and Friday I perform something I like to call basic-advanced strength which consists of HS Push ups, Planche Push ups, Press HS, pretty much what Jovtchev does on the video, properly scaled to my strength of course.

i like to vary my warm up much basically incorporate the following.

10min-jog or 10min. rope jumping

Non-ring strength days I do 5 minute ring HS, regular days 5 against the wall

A couple of free balancing HS, I do about 3 or 4 holding each for about 20 seconds.

Regular Push ups, core work(abs and lower back), 2 series of both back and front levers each for about 10-15 seconds.

L-Sit and Ring Supports.

Let me give you an example of what I did. When I started training for planche I had the strenght to hold a 5second tuck planche, so I used the frog stand as a warm up. Always work your way to 40-60holds before moving to the next harder variation just as Coach recommends. Then I used the tuck as warm up for the advanced tuck and so on. Right now I perform a 15 second advanced tuck as warm up. Try this and let me know how it goes.

One of my favorite exercises before beginning my ring strength is the support, I believe it really warms up my elbows.

I do very light stretching during my warm up, cause I´m very tight I dedicate about 40min to an hour a day to flexibility work.

Slizzardman, Due to an injury I sustained while boxing I have very limited flexibility on my left wrist so I always had to work the planche with the fingers back. There´s more tension on the biceps this way but I highly recommend you to train it that way. I never had a problem with it, just be careful protecting the elbow.

Joshua

Man, that's intense! I was actually asking what you're FSP warmup routine with the WOD's looked like when you did them. How did you incorporate press handstand work, iron cross work, and supplementary planche exercises into the WOD's posted by coach. I want to spend time developing these skills but don't want to wear myself out before I even do the WOD. I'm glad you showed me what you do now though cause that gives me something to shoot for. Thanks a ton man! If my question is unclear let me know and I can phrase it a different way. God bless

You can do press HS work right after the GB basics WU. Right now I have noticed my FSP hold times are not what I have thought they would be, but I figure when I can do the basics as layed out, then hit 60s in the FSP's and do versions of the FBE's I can only do now when fresh, I will be on my way.