Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gain Strength, Lose fat.

Danny

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Ed x, thanks for your listed food choices. It really helped me cut down a bit on my bread intake.

The last 2 weeks I did 3x100-200m sprints twice a week, but I should not eat the hour or so after the sprints, so it will burn any fat I have left?

I already noticed some difference when looking in the mirror, I have exams at the moment, so we had 3 weeks off from school, so some girls didn't see me in a while and 3 girls even said, hey man, you gained some muscle. Time to buy new shirts or your shoulders won't fit in. LOL haha well anyway, it did me good. :wink:

Greets, Danny.

Edward Smith

Thank you Danni for the kind words and the PDF's.

This is a topic I'm am interested in as well, post-workout meals. I have heard from some (from the warrior diet as well as a couple of other places) that they are great and help recovery and won't interfere with fat loss, metabolism, insulin levels, etc and from other sources I've heard there's a 1-2 hour time frame post-workout that nothing should be consumed (except water). I would really like Ido or Robb's (Wolf) expert opinions on this one, and also George's researched opinion.

Regards,

Ed

P.S Danni, you mentioned in the original post your priority was losing fat not gaining muscle, well any type of strength training (real strength training) will get you wiry, which is the preferred (in my experience anyway :) )

George Launchbury

Hi Ed,

I don't personally subscribe to PWO nutrition ...especially if fat-loss is a goal. I am also not a competitive athlete, so my goals are really to gain whatever performance I can ...without compromising health and longevity.

Cheers,

George.

Harout Aintablian
Hi Chiflado,

Firstly, "whole wheat" is merely slightly less processed than white flour, it's a long way from whole. Whole grains would pretty much pass through undigested. It just means that very little is taken away during processing, and that it's not bleached.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Mine is that people are not evolved to eat grains. Eat things you are not evolved to eat, and you're asking for trouble. Look at the health of the general population of the western world if you want evidence. I don't know anyone who gave up grains and didn't feel a whole lot better. Whichever way you look at it, any form of grain is a high-carb foodstuff, and therefore bad for you regardless of it's origin.

I agree, too much meat IS bad for you. A common misconception is that the opposite of a high-carb diet is a high-protein diet ...it is not. It is a high-fat diet, with adequate protein. With everything, the key factor is quality of food: You are what your body makes from the food you eat. Asides from grains, we are also not evolved to eat hormone-filled, antibiotic-ridden, grain-fed Omega6 feed-lot cattle.

I don't expect (or want) you or anyone to just take my word for it, they should read around the subject and form their own beliefs. As I have said before - People live with the consequences of their nutritional choices.

I'd love to just drop the whole issue and not have to keep going round the houses, as grains will always be touted as healthy while there's money to be made, and some illusion of 'healthfulness' remains with which to distort the facts.

In short, people should eat as much bread as they like. Just do it with their eyes open to the short- and long-term risks. It's amazing what the human body can cope with (and survive on) ...but you can't expect it to run optimally and/or survive for a long time that way.

Regards,

George.

Greetings,

George, you made my day great :)

I am also a believer in low carb/high fat diet...and almost all my patiwents argue with me when I tell them to make carbs up to maximum 15% of their daily intake.

Let me share my story....I was 110kg (245 pounds) height 5'11, large frame...I was very awful looking in the way that my whole overweight was mainly my belly...and that is terribly dangerous...its is the "silent killer"...we call that Metabolic syndrome or X syndrime.

In Beirut,Lebanon we have sweets besides the western sweets, what we call Arabic sweets and they are heavy in sugar-syrup....and I used to like tham alot along with the delicious "black forest " cake...also the french fries, and alot lot of breads...Lebanese people are bread eaters...the pita bread....with virtually every dish we eat pita bread...so all these led a bull-apetite holder like me to be such overweight, I believe I'd have gone far more if I was not in my martial arts training.

In 2005...I started to drop sweets, bread, sugar, potato, rice...all these lttile by little and replaced them with fat...my wight fropped from 110kg to 84 kg...which is good

Now my eating habit is:

3 hard boiled eggs or 150gr of cheese..breakfast

Steaks ( fried in mutton fat or butter) with salad with 2 slices of whole grain bread ( no more pita bread) at lunch.

A medium bowl of salad..mortly with tomato and cucumber

As for snacks....I take some cheese in late afternoon

Of course, I also enjoy dark chocolatte bars, and sometimes I give myself a "cheat" day where I enjoy a piece of cake.

Bottom line...Denny...don't get frustrated...you're still in school, means your basal metabolism is still high, try to cut things little by little.

Good Luck

Kind regards to all of you,

• 2 weeks later...

Try not to mix much fat with much carbs if you can help it. It is a killer equation.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.