Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastics as Fitness Continues to Explode

Coach Sommer

• 2 months later...

This is a year old story, but in the spirit of gymnastics as fitness.

Jump to It and Get Fit

By Fiona Russell, The Sunday Times (London), June 24, 2007

Gymnastics is usually associated with school but a growing number of adults are taking it up to keep fit, says Fiona Russell

Leighanne Carnochan paces out a 15-metre approach, turns to face the vault and takes a few calming breaths before performing a handspring which propels her over the apparatus to a perfect landing on the other side.

Her neatly executed routine draws a scattering of applause from onlookers. After several months of practice, Carnochan, 28, is delighted to have pulled off such a challenging move. It may look easy when performed by bendy teenage gymnasts who have trained since childhood, but Carnochan, a nursery nurse who only took up gymnastics in her twenties, knows how much work is involved in making it look effortless.

She is one of a growing number of adults who are taking up a sport most of us left behind at school. Gymnastics clubs across Scotland are reporting unprecedented numbers of adults signing up for classes to learn everything from how to turn a basic cartwheel to complicated routines on the parallel bars.

"In the past few years there has been an explosion in adult numbers attending classes," says Margaret Jackson, a senior coach with Scottish Gymnastics.

"From one or two smaller sessions that started a few years ago in and around Glasgow, there are now six clubs in central Scotland that run adult sessions and at a few there are even waiting lists."

Jackson, who coaches adults at the Midlothian School of Gymnastics in Lasswade, believes adult gymnastic classes have become popular as an alternative to the usual fitness gym session.

"People tell me that they were finding the gym boring and were looking for a fitness class that was a bit different.

"They've maybe seen their own children enjoying gymnastics or perhaps they remember doing some when they themselves were youngsters," she says.

"When they come along to a gymnastics class they find there is so much to experience, from floor work to the apparatus, and many different fitness benefits in terms of flexibility, co-ordination, strength and weight loss."

The adult gymnastics classes are open to all ages, and attract a wide range of abilities, from complete beginners to those who want to brush up their skills.

A two-hour session includes a warm-up to improve joint flexibility, muscle strength and the cardiovascular system. Adults are also taught basic floor skills, such as forward rolls, cartwheels and handstands, as well as moves on the apparatus, including vaults, beam, rings and bars.

"I'm sure it was much easier to do a forward roll or a handstand when I was a kid," says Dougie Graham, 30. "I've seen lots of adults come along to clubs feeling a bit self-conscious but when they realise that everyone's in the same boat they relax. Just because you're a grown-up doesn't mean you can't master the moves."

Carnochan, who attends the City of Glasgow gymnastics club, has also been surprised by her achievements. "I'm now doing the splits, back flips and apparatus routines. It keeps me fit and I never get bored even when I go three times a week."

Details: For City of Glasgow gymnastics club see www.cityofglasgowgymnasticsclub.co.uk; for Midlothian School of Gymnastics see www.lasswadegymnastics.co.uk; for East Kilbride gymnastics club see www.ekgymnastics.com; for other adult classes contact Scottish Gymnastics at www.scottishgymnastics.com