Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength training and marathon

Marcin Chmiel 404921

Marcin Chmiel 404921

Hi,

My current goal is to run an ultramarathon so now it is my main focus in training sessions. 
But on the other hand, also want improve my strength and skills. 
I chose to learn one arm pull up and 5 HSPU, so my question: is it good to train that both skills 2 times per week with 2 exercises for each skill ? 
And also which exercises choose to learn one arm pull up? Choose from "rope climb" ? My level is foundation 2, I can perform wide pull up  l sit with perfect form 5x5. 
Greetings. 

Alessandro Mainente
On 2/21/2022 at 3:19 PM, Marcin Chmiel 404921 said:

Hi,

My current goal is to run an ultramarathon so now it is my main focus in training sessions. 
But on the other hand, also want improve my strength and skills. 
I chose to learn one arm pull up and 5 HSPU, so my question: is it good to train that both skills 2 times per week with 2 exercises for each skill ? 
And also which exercises choose to learn one arm pull up? Choose from "rope climb" ? My level is foundation 2, I can perform wide pull up  l sit with perfect form 5x5. 
Greetings. 

Hi Marcin, for running the marathon you should insert strength training for the lower body because already knew that it increases the economy of the run up to 19%.

For the rest of your goal generally speaking 2 times a week is the minimum, how many exercises depends on technique, strength deficit, and sets of the main exercises. from my experience, if you follow the progression of foundations you should be able to reach 5 hspu without the excessively complicated program.

the one arm pullup is another planet because if the technique of the general pullup is bad then there is no reason to approach rope climbing (referring to that i suggest you to post your form in the private subsection of foundations 2 and have a review.) if rope climbing has bad technique there is no reason to approach the one-arm pullup. one arm pullup is a stand-alone skill that without proper technique has only one epilogue: injury. i have coached more than 50 students to one arm pullup..trust me if i say that the biggest part of youtube has only acceptable technique. here you can see what i mean for technique 

Marcin Chmiel 404921
On 2/22/2022 at 4:15 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Marcin, for running the marathon you should insert strength training for the lower body because already knew that it increases the economy of the run up to 19%.

For the rest of your goal generally speaking 2 times a week is the minimum, how many exercises depends on technique, strength deficit, and sets of the main exercises. from my experience, if you follow the progression of foundations you should be able to reach 5 hspu without the excessively complicated program.

the one arm pullup is another planet because if the technique of the general pullup is bad then there is no reason to approach rope climbing (referring to that i suggest you to post your form in the private subsection of foundations 2 and have a review.) if rope climbing has bad technique there is no reason to approach the one-arm pullup. one arm pullup is a stand-alone skill that without proper technique has only one epilogue: injury. i have coached more than 50 students to one arm pullup..trust me if i say that the biggest part of youtube has only acceptable technique. here you can see what i mean for technique 

Hi, I posted my form check about rope climb as a preparation for one arm pull. 
You said that 2 times a week is minimal so I decided train 3 times. About HSPU I am doing negatives 5x1 so I hope it will be better in future. 

So that is my workout program:
Rope climb + hspu negatives as a 2 skills

My last question is should I put some exercises push pull for example archer push ups and archer australian pull ups as a basics to engage other muscle groups ? And also for core l sit hold ? 

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Marcin Chmiel 404921 said:

Hi, I posted my form check about rope climb as a preparation for one arm pull. 
You said that 2 times a week is minimal so I decided train 3 times. About HSPU I am doing negatives 5x1 so I hope it will be better in future. 

So that is my workout program:
Rope climb + hspu negatives as a 2 skills

My last question is should I put some exercises push pull for example archer push ups and archer australian pull ups as a basics to engage other muscle groups ? And also for core l sit hold ? 

Is said minimal...for gaining strength...usually i train with minimum volume. 

about adding more..it depends on how much you do on the main exercises. the more you do the fewer spots you have for additional work. additional work is also inserted considering the weak point of accessory muscles...of the weak part of the rom.

Marcin Chmiel 404921
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Is said minimal...for gaining strength...usually i train with minimum volume. 

about adding more..it depends on how much you do on the main exercises. the more you do the fewer spots you have for additional work. additional work is also inserted considering the weak point of accessory muscles...of the weak part of the rom.

Okay so I will observe my body is that workout program isnt overload. 
Maybe training 4 times per week will be more productive for strength adaptation  but I must first see how many reps should I do to feel fresh every workout session.   About additions work, it is good to choose exercises which can help to strength weak parts of the body but.. Are there basic exercises worth doing, regardless of the division into weak parts of the body?

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Marcin Chmiel 404921 said:

Okay so I will observe my body is that workout program isnt overload. 
Maybe training 4 times per week will be more productive for strength adaptation  but I must first see how many reps should I do to feel fresh every workout session.   About additions work, it is good to choose exercises which can help to strength weak parts of the body but.. Are there basic exercises worth doing, regardless of the division into weak parts of the body?

It depends on the phase of the periodization you are doing. the more away from high intensity you are the more you can use basic and general exercises and also work for weak points. the more you work with low reps the more you need to work for weak point for the high intensity.

the truth is that work for the weak point still exists but in a different form..depending on the phase you are in.

Marcin Chmiel 404921
10 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

It depends on the phase of the periodization you are doing. the more away from high intensity you are the more you can use basic and general exercises and also work for weak points. the more you work with low reps the more you need to work for weak point for the high intensity.

the truth is that work for the weak point still exists but in a different form..depending on the phase you are in.

Understand, thank You.