Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carbs PWO and fat adaption

Razz

Hey guys

Created this post to get some thoughts on the whole idea of carbs post workout. Reading here on the forum as well as this article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md92.htm

sparked some thoughts and I would like some qualified thoughts on what is better.

Is the whole idea of carbs post workout old school and no longer the ideal way?

What are benefits and basics of becoming fat adapted? (Yes i have read on the subject, but want opinions from forum members aswell)

Goals are strength and power, not endurance.

EDIT: As I'm not fat adapting any time soon (It wouldn't end up good) I guess one of the questions I want answered is: When not fat adapted, should one still take carbs PWO according to the chart that Poliqiun released fx. or should one always strive towards fat as much as possible, despite not necessarily doing a full on low carb diet?

Neal Winkler

The study that's the inspiration of the article you linked to is interesting.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/conte ... 293/3/E833

It should be noted that the subjects were untrained. So, it might not apply to resistance trained individuals (but it certainly might).

Also, assuming a typical recommendation of 1g of protein/lbs of bw, the subjects ingested almost all of their days protein in the six hours following the training bout. Specifically, they ingested 1.8g/kg. So, if your meal pattern is similar then according to this study you don't need to worry about carbs PWO.

Furthermore, the subjects trained fasted.

If you don't eat as much protein PWO as the people in the study then you can't assume that carbs PWO won't be beneficial.

Hmm the training in a fasted state is what worries me, because that would make a big insulin spike from the PWO protein alone.. I guess the best way to find out though, is to experiment with it myself, in the future that is

Neal Winkler
Hmm the training in a fasted state is what worries me, because that would make a big insulin spike from the PWO protein alone.. I guess the best way to find out though, is to experiment with it myself, in the future that is

It wasn't that large. The protein + high carb was, however.

zh10100750670001.jpeg

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.