Rep tempo

Started by Joe Cox, April 25, 2021 · 1 Replies · 1,967 Views

Joe Cox

I'm improving nicely since the six months or so I've been doin GST. I started from the very beginning, doing elevated pushups, etc, and now can do regular pushups again without any shoulder or elbow pain. Also, my flexibility is vastly improved. 

My question now is, what tempo should we be doing our reps on puships, squats, pullups, etc? I've heard people say slow reps build strength, fast reps build power and endurance. Any truth to any of that? Should we mix it up?

Thanks,

Joe

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Joe Cox said:

I'm improving nicely since the six months or so I've been doin GST. I started from the very beginning, doing elevated pushups, etc, and now can do regular pushups again without any shoulder or elbow pain. Also, my flexibility is vastly improved. 

My question now is, what tempo should we be doing our reps on puships, squats, pullups, etc? I've heard people say slow reps build strength, fast reps build power and endurance. Any truth to any of that? Should we mix it up?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe, it depends, as you said, on the goal. I you are at the beginning of the journey and basic strength is the final goal then controlled tempo like 1-2 for the eccentric and concentric with one second stop between reps.