Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aaron Hughson

Consistency vs Intensity

Recommended Posts

Aaron Hughson

I’m always wondering where progress is best made. And in the world most people’s answers, I would presume is intensity. But I feel consistency would be the clearest choice. But when does your consistency just mean you’re spinning your wheels? When is your intensity too little to take you to the next level?

Fat doesn’t seem to come off fast enough. Strength and progress is inconsistent at times.    If I calculate my calories and macros it’s consistent within a 100 calories. So I’m kind of stumped.

@Alessandro Mainente knows I’ve taken to a 3 day weight training routine for my girlfriend but I’ve remained at my levels with Foundation 1, Stretch Series and utilizing restore series on my weight training days as a post WO recovery. It’s only been 2 weeks of the WT. 

I’ve honestly not been consistent in my training week to week though. Sometimes skipping an entire week. Because either I’m kept up late, not enough sleep, or emotionally drained from one thing or the other. 
 

Guess I’m just mad at myself. I’ve known a better version of me before this and it feels harder now than it was then to achieve what I use to be able to do.

Whats your advice? My goals are an overall better functioning, performing and looking body.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Aaron Hughson said:

I’m always wondering where progress is best made. And in the world most people’s answers, I would presume is intensity. But I feel consistency would be the clearest choice. But when does your consistency just mean you’re spinning your wheels? When is your intensity too little to take you to the next level?

Fat doesn’t seem to come off fast enough. Strength and progress is inconsistent at times.    If I calculate my calories and macros it’s consistent within a 100 calories. So I’m kind of stumped.

@Alessandro Mainente knows I’ve taken to a 3 day weight training routine for my girlfriend but I’ve remained at my levels with Foundation 1, Stretch Series and utilizing restore series on my weight training days as a post WO recovery. It’s only been 2 weeks of the WT. 

I’ve honestly not been consistent in my training week to week though. Sometimes skipping an entire week. Because either I’m kept up late, not enough sleep, or emotionally drained from one thing or the other. 
 

Guess I’m just mad at myself. I’ve known a better version of me before this and it feels harder now than it was then to achieve what I use to be able to do.

Whats your advice? My goals are an overall better functioning, performing and looking body.

 

 

 

The answer is really really complex because basically, you are asking how a person should program the training. well, my suggestion is to read some books. There is one of mike iSraetel about the "principle of strength training" who covers a good part of how much should be done. Deeper discussion and methodology are in the Tudor Bompa and Carlo buzzichelli "periodization training for sports". Principles are transversal while adaptation of principles is unique.

Generally speaking, there are guidelines that depend on the level of athletes. But after coaching GST for years i can say that the good trainer does not apply a fixed scheme but on the opposite, it adapts based on the reaction and feedback of his athlete. Everyone has their own tolerance to volume and intensity- If a person is still making progress you can decide to push more and see how it goes and it is still a trial process.

once intensity is fixed and low, the volume makes difference...if the intensity is medium then volume makes difference, once intensity is high then volume makes difference.

if intensity should increase to make neural improvement you MUST manage its effect with volume. Intensity is what can LEAD to potential gain, volume is how you manage the effect of the intensity on the nervous system. too much? overreaching, too less? undertraining. Prileprin table gives an idea of the range you can tolerate..minimum, ideal, and the max volume for an exercise. you can find thousands of articles about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron Hughson
On 4/17/2021 at 12:24 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The answer is really really complex because basically, you are asking how a person should program the training. well, my suggestion is to read some books. There is one of mike iSraetel about the "principle of strength training" who covers a good part of how much should be done. Deeper discussion and methodology are in the Tudor Bompa and Carlo buzzichelli "periodization training for sports". Principles are transversal while adaptation of principles is unique.

Generally speaking, there are guidelines that depend on the level of athletes. But after coaching GST for years i can say that the good trainer does not apply a fixed scheme but on the opposite, it adapts based on the reaction and feedback of his athlete. Everyone has their own tolerance to volume and intensity- If a person is still making progress you can decide to push more and see how it goes and it is still a trial process.

once intensity is fixed and low, the volume makes difference...if the intensity is medium then volume makes difference, once intensity is high then volume makes difference.

if intensity should increase to make neural improvement you MUST manage its effect with volume. Intensity is what can LEAD to potential gain, volume is how you manage the effect of the intensity on the nervous system. too much? overreaching, too less? undertraining. Prileprin table gives an idea of the range you can tolerate..minimum, ideal, and the max volume for an exercise. you can find thousands of articles about that.

@Alessandro Mainente Very interesting the adaptation and feedback component of this response. So as a small but more than likely vital help to my overall progress, I should attempt to post form checks in the forum?
Obviously none of these form checks would be free weight related, though I find myself practicing PPT and APT engagement whenever lifting things. Alessandro you’re obviously passionate regarding all things related to human physiology and kinesiology it would seem. Thanks again for your insights regarding this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Aaron Hughson said:

@Alessandro Mainente Very interesting the adaptation and feedback component of this response. So as a small but more than likely vital help to my overall progress, I should attempt to post form checks in the forum?
Obviously none of these form checks would be free weight related, though I find myself practicing PPT and APT engagement whenever lifting things. Alessandro you’re obviously passionate regarding all things related to human physiology and kinesiology it would seem. Thanks again for your insights regarding this.

well i MUST be passionate...is my work, i coach, i assist coach Sommer on the forum, i write articles, i participate to conventions, i was a co-presenter in some in some degree discussions for students around italy, i spoke at university (without having a sports degree and for me it was a good satisfaction)...

so basically... knowledge for me is everything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.