I've just finished up a 9 month program at a circus school and I have a question regarding proper activation of the shoulders during pulling exercises. The school that I was attending is heavily focused on aerial disciplines and one of the first concepts that the coaches made sure to introduce the students to was engaging the shoulders by retracting the shoulder down as far as possible and squeezing the shoulder blades together. Forgive me for not knowing any of the proper terms for what I'm trying to describe happening in the shoulder's anatomy, but it's essentially the opposite of the type of shoulder extension that one strives for in hand balancing. The coaches explained that without this type of shoulder engagement any kind of pulling movements, especially dynamic ones were dangerous and damaging to the shoulder joint.
I was very surprised by this because I don't believe I've ever heard anything about shoulder engagement in this sense even mentioned by coach Sommer or anyone else on this forum. And I feel like all of the gymnasts that I've seen on highbar and rings perform giants and other skills that put extreme stress on the shoulders with their shoulders fully extended. I'd love to hear any opinions or information from people on this forum on whether it necessary or important to engage shoulder joint in this way, and if it's actually dangerous not to.