Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

supplementing with infant formula?!

John Sapinoso

John Sapinoso

My buddy told me that sometimes when he can't get protein powder or fish oil here in the Philippines, he will take large doses of infant formula instead. My first thought was that he was a retard, but after a bit of poking around I think it might be plausible? I'm going to the store tomorrow to read the labels, but in the mean time does anyone have any input?

Hmm, well if memory serves a lot of infant formulas use whey besides milk protein solids. Some will also add omega3's to the mix.

Jason Stein

Hey Tsoonami,

Not sure about the Philipines, but in the US a lot of infant formula is soy-based, which hopefully you and your friend will avoid with a 10-meter pole.

best,

jason

I'd given this some passing thought.

The idea that cow's milk is pretty good at making people grow, even tho it is designed for baby cattle, made me think that possibly baby formula would be really good at making people grow.

The logical extension I suppose would be to get the real thing. Not sure what the ethical, legal or technical implications of this might be.

Baby infant formula is a poor substitute to harmful substance compared to the real thing. As well baby formula is tailored to the individual. How awesome is that?!

Last I remember formula has whey and DHA added. Not sure about EPA nor am I sure of what kind of whey and if they also use milk protein.

I know a friend told me once he used to drink those geriatric protein supplements like Ensure.

Jason Stein
Last I remember formula has whey and DHA added. Not sure about EPA nor am I sure of what kind of whey and if they also use milk protein...I know a friend told me once he used to drink those geriatric protein supplements like Ensure.

Blair,

Many if not most infant formula in the US is soy-protein based, as soy is considerably cheaper than whey.

Your friend who drank Ensure was basically consuming soy oil and soy protein isolate.

This is not a good thing.

best,

jason

I was actually joking about the legal, technical and ethical implications of acquiring human breast but it seems we have the means and the market place.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_you_buy_breast_milk

This could be the latest designer supplement. Do you imagine there are any cranks out there who drink baby milk? Perhaps in a hermetically sealed tent breathing mountain air imported from the Himalayas? :)

Jason, the soybean oil issue is pervasive in all processed foods in the states. However, not all formulas use soy. Check the label of course.

Jason Stein
Check the label of course.

Blair,

This is an issue I had to be very vigilant with in regards to our daughter when milk from the tap was not readily handy.

I was being literal above, though: Ensure is soy protein.

best,

jason

Perhaps now it is. I can remember some years ago, Ensure and the similar products in that aisle as to nutritional supplements for the elderly were not always soy. Soybean oil maybe. It's been 5-7 years since I've looked at them, I think.

Today I went to Safeway and checked out the mature adult and infant nutrition section.

Only one maker, Enfagrow used oil in their formula that wasn't at least partially soy. There still was soy lecithin but no soy protein. While some of the rest did not use soy protein, many used soybean oil.

Only BOOST did not have any soybean oil or soy protein. All the other drinks like Ensure and the knock-offs typically where milk, soy, whey protein blends.

Getting back to infant formula, most seemed to have only 2.5g of protein per 5fl oz. Not a lot of protein, really.

On another note, quite a long time ago I did a bunch of internet research on making your infant formula and seems that is still probably the best option. There are loads of recipes out there.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.