Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New woman on the block

Frodocious

Frodocious

Hi Guys!

My name is Frodocious and I'd just like introduce myself.

I'm a 34 years old female who's been lurking on this site for a while and finally got round to registering.

I've always been interested in gymnastics training but have never really had the chance to train. I went to a local gymnastics club's adult classes for a couple of weeks, but as these were on a tuesday morning, I couldn't keep attending due to work commitments - it still amazes me that they chose that time for an adult session.

I've done martial arts and weight training for a number of years. I'm currently doing Judo, BJJ and Ninjutsu and am hoping to start back at Capoeira later in the year and feel that some gymnastics training will really help me in these.

My current skills are fairly basic, I can hold a frog stand for well over a minute but can't progress to the tuck planche (it's probably a core strength/balance problem). I can do cartwheels, 1 armed cartwheels and roundoffs with ease and I've recently bought a set of rings to play with.

My initial goals are: full handstand pushups, tuck planches, front levers, pistols, bridge to walkover, a decent static hold on the rings and ring dips and a general improvement of my strength and control that will help with my MA training.

I am keen to incorporate gymnastics training into my weight and skills training and any help or advice will be appreciated!

I'm looking forward to Coach Sommer's book and playing on this board!

George Launchbury

Hi Frodocious,

Welcome to the forum. Was surprised you were a new member here, but then realised I recognised you from the RossTraining.com forum (I sometimes have a look round there, but not registered).

Be good to hear how you get on.

Cheers,

George.

P.s. Frog-stand: check your hips are level with shoulders, as it gets a lot easier if they aren't. Also you could try the frog-stand with straight arms as an interim exercise?

Frodocious

Yes, I've been on Ross's site for a while now. I've tried the frog stand with straight arms but I just can't seem to get it right - my arms keep giving out. I will check my hips on the basic version though. Cheers for the tip!