This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Animalonfire's log.

Started by Animalonfire, May 20, 2010 · 29 Replies · 2,722 Views

Animalonfire

It's about time I made a log. Nothing terribly exiting, but it will at least help me to track my progress.

I'm 16 years old, 175cm tall, 150lb, 7-9%bf[Edit-BF% measurement was on a BS emp machine. Ignore it). All measurements subject to change.

My 2nd SSC is just coming to a close, I'd have liked to spend a week longer on it, but my phone (stopwatch, timer and so much more) decided recently to go into hibernation and not respond to charging, so I'm resting up before testing new max holds having experimented with FBE's (previously overlooked) for a few workouts.

3WO's per week. No legs ATM because GHR set up is kaput, and I don't want to make myself more quad dominant then I already am. Workouts on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday/Sunday. Also beginners Gymnastics on Thursday, and Muay Thai on Friday(Hence Sat/Sun).

Workout A

A1)Tuck planche 5x5s

A2)Advanced tuck front lever 5x12s

B1)Straddle L (Rings) 8.57x7s

C1)Circular HLL+HLL (Rings) 3x4+1

Workout B

A1)Advanced tuck back lever 7.5x8s

A2)Bent leg MSH 6x10s

B1)L sit (Rings) 8.57x7s

C1) Kipping Muscle up 3x3

As a warm up I use Ido's method of 5minutes of something>squat clinic>Shoulder stabilisation and ROM. I cool down with some other prehab. HS work comes between warm up and WO, If I do it after I'm shaky.

Diet is grain,potato,sugar free. Lactose only from small amount of cheese(phasing out), 1 Fruit a day + PWO (lots of veggies), soon it will include PWO then it will be only PWO. 1gprotein/lb LBM. Beans only when cooked by someone else(I feel it's unfair to be THAT demanding of someone who is doing you a favour). Omega 3:6 I'll worry about in the future, coming to terms with everything else for now.

Usual days eating looks like:

3-4 eggs+herbs/spices+salt(because I sweat in summer) > Meat+salad+oil > organ+veggies(recipes on request) > Meat+veggies for dinner.

Water is between 2 and 4 litres. I'm still finding a level that I like.

Supplements when I have money. 4th WO when I have the capacity (perhaps it will come with supplements).

The eventual goal is to be great(hopefully international) at something. Possibly taking advantage of Britains lack of male gymnasts, or just finding an obscure track and field event and really going for it. Muay thai I don't have easy access to if I want to take it beyond self defence/cardio(gymnastics+university athletics 20 mins drive away, MT is 40), but it might end up being MT+Boxing>MMA/just MT. Who knows?

Anyway, I'll update when I finish planning my next cycle, and maybe not again untill 8-12 weeks later. I've never kept a log before.

Any comments welcome.

Animalonfire

So I've decided that as far as programming goes I'm basically going to copy what Ortprod has been doing. Both levers+Planche every WO+one of the other FSP's+Pull,press,core and legs FBE's(ever rotating). I'm going to pair the Fl and Planche though, coach seems to stick by it, and I prefer to pair opposing muscle groups(for minimising rest, and hearing that it works more efficiently).

Hopefully it wont mess with my manna progress because manna, L and straddle L all seem to complement each other anyway. If it does at least I'll develop the levers and the planche. It's a pretty big step up in work intensity but I think I can take it now.

Testing as soon as I feel totally recovered or just get impatient and really want to train.

Thought I'd add: Yesterday I got my first (and second) roundoff>BHS>Backtuck on the tumble track. I see that (and the MUp for rings and the PressHS for Pbars/equilibre(HS doesn't really cut it for me because it can be done badly)) as the first major milestone in tumbling. I feel like I'm crossing the line between being into gymnastics and being a gymnast(albeit a newbie one). I'll have crossed it when I take it to the floor.

Animalonfire

Straddle front and back levers, and at least a momentary flat tuck planche (at least because it was from cold). I don't know why I'm so surprised about it, but I am (very happy also). And I already know that I can MSH horizontally. Since these achievements I've acquired an old phone from my sister(mine are all either new or broken) so will time them next workout. Would be tonight but as I have 6 exams over the next 4 days it won't be.

Adding to my avoid list anything microwaved having glanced at this article. TBH I feel pretty stupid for not having avoided it before. Never mind, can't change it.

Back to revision.

Animalonfire

Haha. I hadn't even posted my times and I'm already slacking from logging :P. Like I've said I'm not going to be too devoted to it as others are, but I feel rude for not having posted at least my work sets (PR's double).

Ahem...

Front lever-Flat tuck-8s

Back Lever-Straddle-4s

Planche-Flat tuck-3s

L sit-Ring support-7s

Straddle L sit-Ring support-12s

Manna-Low middle split hold-4s

Previously as far as I can remember FL 12s flat tuck (Half way through SSC I started to hold them low, hence regression), BL flat tuck 8s, 5s tuck Pl, straddle L and L 7-8 ish, manna 10s bent leg MSH.

All in all not bad progress. FBE's I'm simply taking as they feel appropriate because by the time I remember all of the numbers it would be time to change them. Also lower risk of injury with bent arm work.

Dietary changes since last post: No more non milk dairy, ever decreasing legumes(would already be out if it weren't for family meals), found a decent fish oil(natures best) 70%Ω3 taking 6g/day,and should buy some HCL caps on Monday.

2 final exams on Wednesday and honestly their not even important ones. German. I need a C in a "modern foreign language" to go to uni. Not too difficult on a multiple choice paper, especially as I have time now(no more school) to revise and do at least one WO of some kind per day. Time I think to find a job also to stop me turning to pokemon(gold version) to occupy my abundance of time :P

Animalonfire

Awesome workout this morning:

Warm up

Locomotion>skin the cats>squat clinic>shoulder ROM+ stability>wrist pushups

Strength

3x(3s flat tuck planche> 8s flat tuck Front lever > 3x half decent muscle ups(with sweaty hands!))

3x(4s straddle BL > 5xHSRLL > 4s slow(ish) MSH > 3(per leg) jumping SLS)

Floreio/metcon

3x(rotations to high bridge>au cortado (as slow as possible-damn scary when you are tired, a noob and over a patio!)>rotation to QDR (first inter/advanced variation)

Over the course of the WO between 2.5 and 3 litres of water disappeared. Far more than usual(about 1-1.5). then afterwards a banana, an apple and a tuna(only meat available) salad, with cold and bitter green tea from breakfast just because I hate waste.

Currently going through rickyVT's log on Ido's forum, starting from page 7(because that's where the link is to). Great stuff.

Tomorrow is floreio WO no. 4 :) (mixed up order because of a cancelled muay thai session that I turned up to anyway because my phone isn't working(I think i'll replace with a samsung b3210 btw-I hate that I can remember that..)and just did some skipping(double unders feeling good by the way, just not more than 3 in a row or the rope gets stuck between my toes) and joint prep with a few other things which is no.3+ a few extras)

Maybe when the phone is bought I'll put together a video(or with my existing slightly out dated camera -whichever is higher resolution).

Also thankfully no pokemon since Friday. (juggling, finding a phone, finding a job, reading books+training articles, also training)

Animalonfire

Wrists do not appreciate training every day :| . I just went for a few handstands on the carpet(GtGing) and they feel pretty bad.I'll ease back into it after a few days rest and rehab. So Floreio, GB and HS's on different days for a while until I feel more confident on my wrists. I am putting this in writing as a lasting record that I MUST NOT HS! This does little for my mood :(

Animalonfire

I was going crazy on my own without fully functioning wrists I met up with a friend to attempt some sort of tricking type moves into the school long jump sand pit. Safety concious firmly in "the box" PE teachers were nearby so we went for the most socially acceptable warm up we could think of (shuttle runs) until they dispersed with their flocks of students. We got some very questionable punch fronts, a few of which were landed above a 90 90 horse stance height :wink: .Then I had a few attempts at aerial cartwheels after building some confidence, but no success and I was struggling not to put my hands down so discontinued. Then we started introducing standing back tucks. My first with a spot, then from then on my first, second, third and so on back tucks :D. Also got Dan to a spotted back tuck and the punch fronts were his first. After my confidence had gone up I thought It would be cool to go for a gainer. There is still sand in my nose, ears and any other opening you can think of...

Somewhere along the afternoon I realised that my abs were pretty cooked(traps also, I have no idea why). I'll be experiencing some "dark times" at gymnastics later. Actually it will be my first ever "proper"/age appropriate class, so should be pretty cool. Probably my first time on some apparatus (but not one that requires pressing).

Diet-I have re-added cheese out of calcium related paranoia. Considering supplementing, finding more sources, and finding out if wrist was calcium related or not.

Animalonfire

Gymnastics was pretty damn awesome. Same format as before(stations of unisex skills+air track), only more highbrow, more heavily coached and with males of my own age :D . I had a few compliments, including one from Robin (Head coach) that I felt great about. I almost had one from our less chirpy eastern European coach last week, but I think it was more factual less praise(BHS backtuck is good, but round off is not there), I think it's like muay thai coaches in Thailand(as in you don't try to impress them, because they really have seen it all and they really don't give a shit about you(or so I've heard)).GBing is definitely paying divides (saving formal thanking of Coach until I get my first lever). In between trampoline jumps(which I have neglected a little bit) we were called up one by one for rope climbs, I glanced over and saw some hands+feet near the top, on my turn I just had a near effortless hands free climb up+down. I wasn't tempted to kip because my abs were on fire.

On the wrists, I managed to totally forget that they were under strict TLC but no pain and I won quite a few HS standoffs and got my first floor BHS(pretty clean apart from hands being staggered). I also started mounting into HS's differentially. I'd previously been lunge/kicking up with straight legs, and had fun with bouncing into a tuck and pressing up like an inverted OH squat, today I had one straight leg and one bent lunge/kick up it worked quite well.

New phone with stopwatch and countdown timer. NO dictionary though(the single best use of a phone ever IMHO), will attempt to download one if I figure how to even transfer data without a magic cable. Will also check if I should have received one...

Animalonfire

Wrists are better, just easing back onto them. WO 3x/week, HS's every now and then (very limited) and in future will be on the paralettes for a while, floreio I'm not sure about. I think that I'll carry on using bits of it was warm up/cool down. This is a pain in the ass as I was just getting my QDR rotations (inter/adv 1)almost rock solid and about to move up a progression, Bridge rotations (high and low) are feeling good and I'm not far from the working advanced variations (which I can do, but not yet 10x in a row), and au cortado presses I had a dream about doing repeatedly, it felt great and I'd like to feel like that again. The rest I haven't gotten around to trying because that's about when my wrists said that they didn't want to play any more.

Bit of a revelation on my BHS yesterday, I'd previously been aiming to slam my hands into the ground as hard and fast as possible. It worked very well on the tumble track and the trampoline, but scared the crap out of me and wasn't too effective on the floor. There was literally no space on the floor yesterday so I did my usual RO>BHS>back on the air track and after a couple of corrections from Levi ended up earning actual proper praise from him :D . This happened by reaching for the ground and sort of pulling it like spider man doing a Fl on a ceiling, rather than my previous striking the ground whilst swinging the hips.

I also got my first front half's on a trampoline, although Piking just before the end as I've seen others do enough times to realise that it is beyond hideous looking. Got some front halfs and a few 3/4's jumping from a trampette also. And had a go at feet>back>feet on the trampoline, next week I will try feet>stomach>feeet and stomach<>back, perhaps then I'll be ready for 3/4 and 5/4 fronts. (I don't know is this is the correct terminology).

Unfortunately no muay thai because I'm ill today. Phlegm(spellable), snot, headaches, etc. I had a green tea with some vit C powder in it this morning, just in case it helped. It kept me amused at least.

3 weeks until the earliest possible end of the cycle. I counted after attempting a back lever on the beach and I think succeeding. I'll have to wait and see.

Time for dinner

Animalonfire

So next SSC I have decided will consist of:

AM: Statics-60s (or as much as is appropriate) total time. 4 holds per WO, L sit time will have (hopefully) increased up to a point where I can warm up with it, so I suppose 5 holds. This should support optimal FSP development more than in the region on 9-21 secs/WO...

PM: WODs. Because Coach knows his programming far better than I do, and because I'm sure my dynamic strength is lagging behind a little.

Preahab before and after each, perhaps also about time I focused on some stretching outside of clubs. I've got a full sideways straddle, and almost full front/back splits just from having good genetics for it and pretty minimal work(although I'd have rather had average sized wrists and ankles). Also a lock arm/leg bridge and totally relaxed german hang without feeling any discomfort that I only just started working on. So I'll be focusing on my active with any drills I can find.

I've actually never worked on active flexibility outside of a couple of isolated occasions. No wonder it's so awful.

I just looked back at my goal that I've since forgotten about. Still looks reasonable. I should clarify that I don't expect to win any Olympic medals, but OTOH if I work efficiently...why shouldn't I? I shall see where my training takes me, as long as it's fun and productive everything else is secondary. for now I have other tasks...

Find job>buy supplements with money. Awaiting return emails from my references (maths+physics teachers), will probably collar them in person tomorrow.

Get onto a safe cycling course so parents will let me cycle to gym. Just reminded myself by writing the log post, no progress so far.

Training with particular regards to wrist prep, and active flexibility, some more "complete" FSP's would be nice also. Back lever,L and Straddle L final variations will be half way there.

I will post a warning on my first entry that this log contains little/no useful information... Should save some people some time.

Animalonfire

Just got my first set of 20 snatches having seen a video by Wez Peden. I thought to myself "if he can bounce the clubs on his hands twice before catching, I can bloody well do 20 snatches in a row" and it worked :D.

cKAKMGrcINM

Tomorow I will go for a new trick. I'll regret wasting the holidays unless I improve myself.

(so far cascade, tennis, half shower, reverse cascade, columns and now snatch. 20 consecutive catches/rounds of each is practice)

Time for bed 8)

Animalonfire

Woke up just before 6:00 this morning, and having just prepared my breakfast the thought occurred to me that it was a training day. So I covered it up, warmed up inside in my shorts because last time I warmed up (which involves lying down)outside with no shirt on I found myself covered in red ants :shock:. Then it started raining, so naturally eye of the tiger/battle without honour or humanity started playing itself in my head.

I will embed them both in case anyone wishes to dramatically improve their day. (sadly there is no repeat button on youtube...)

YnfFTVjRpLI

cf45I1ZI__w

Then I went to town and dropped off 11 CV's, visited some friends, and took the school bus home in time to bake my mum a cake for her birthday. Totally paleo of course

http://crossfit-dover.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=26 if anyone is interested. ADD SOME CINNAMON. I used raisins instead of honey and nothing imploded. Gi should be fairly reasonable because of the almonds and the eggs.

3 ball flash BTW

Animalonfire

New work sets.

Straddle front lever: 6 seconds

Straddle back lever: 6 seconds

Level MSH: 6 seconds

Ring L sit:20s (the camera fell asleep after 40s and I'd have probably been doing 3X xx anyway)

Flat tuck planche: 5 seconds

Straddle L sit (floor): 12 seconds

Strength is now on Saturday,Sunday and one other day of the week. This is not ideal but school is on, and now that it isn't compulsory, it is focusing on gearing us all up into total whores for our future bosses. Combine that with trying to push the work capacity envelope (just a little bit), and you have a terminally annoyed AOF, who wakes up in the middle of the night, falls for the carbs (not the grains though), and pussies out during hard conditioning. I didn't mind too much the last time this happened because it was all training induced during the summer. At the moment being on a par with myself is a struggle, and I'm not even up to 4x/week strength. I'm looking forward to weekends simply because of the increased sleep. I think that large amounts of Vit C are in order.

My additional trouble at the moment is that my Muay Thai coach has said (prompted) that if I want, I can fight(actually, it's some basterdised 90s rounds with extra rules jobby, but it IS far better than what kick boxing was so I absolutely shouldn't moan) at some point in October. Due to parental reluctance to take me to any thing other than 1 MT class per week, I'm trying to do at least one other bit of cardio per week. I think this is where I go over the boundary of what is a comfortable amount of work. I don't like the idea, but I think looking into strength maintenance may be necessary if I want to do well in the conditioning. Once that's over I may be able to get into the WOD's at last, and start really kicking my ass in a well programmed manner. I think for this I'd have to have a chat with my gymnastics coach about use of his facilities (I had this talk with my school "PE" (needs an extra e...) teachers, who would love for me to do well in the things that I love, provided it didn't require that they either supervise(read in a corner) me whilst I used their vast array of equipment, or turn a blind eye to some health and safety doctrine breaking. I soon after got into trouble with more senior staff for inadvertently bitching openly about it in an email to one of them.) due to my gardens being less than perfect as a gym.

Oh, and I finally got a RO,BHS, back ( :D ) and am in the process of co-ordinating (with my mum) separate food(cheap meat+frozen veg) for myself, and my family. Currently, eating is sin that is liable to open bitching and stropping from other family members, who later deny that they are unsupportive and/or bitchy.

Animalonfire

So having managed to over train by doing less work than usual, and put myself through all kinds of unpleasantness my fight was cancelled 2 days before it was due to take place. Needless to say, I was not happy about this, and will be resuming business as usual very shortly (24 hours after I feel up to par). I think 3 months or so if this + occasional HS's and I'll give the WOD's a go. After I have that work capacity without problems I'll have another go at fighting, letting the WODs be my (non technical) fight prep. This whole episode has basically just shown me that I'm pretty useless at programming, and that I should either follow instructions (back of BtGB), or get someone to do it for me (WOD's). I'll learn about it eventually,but in the mean time my reading is being stalled by lack of funding (next in my list is Pete egosce's pain free, after that I think I'll go for science of sports training, and I suppose something by Pavel later on...). That's all for now

Animalonfire

Left shoulder disagree's with planche(to be fair, I was pushing my luck with the hold times...), so following one of slizzardman's posts on volume/intensity deloading, I've decided to cut the volume from 12x5s to 5x5s. That's cut in half, minus one for luck :P . Back lever and manna are looking feeling really good, straddle L is also quite pleasant to do, and I'm actively lifting my legs now. Planche looks a lot cleaner(no more back arching), but feels as hard as ever. L sit is a funny one, I have absolutely no idea how it is. Front lever is not so good. I find that my hands slide together, which I think inhibits lat action and scapular retraction. I knew that my hips would be at less than 180º when I started(but It was better than bloody flat tuck-again), and I'm actually pretty happy that there isn't a <90º issue, but I'm a bit worried about my lower back. I'll be visiting a scrap yard in the school holidays with a friend that knows the standard procedure for purchasing bits of scaffolding/metal pipe. Then I can finally set up a pullup bar that isn't trapped in a doorway. I was talking about this a while ago, but I couldn't make any sense of online retailers without buying enough scaffolding for a small house. I'm also taking a course in lifeguarding to get me an income for supplements. I really hate the feeling when the fish oil has run out, and I know that it's gone for 2-3 weeks at least. I also want to add zinc, vit C, and probably D3, but those are just nice thoughts at the moment...

Currently off to discover SMR with a tennis ball :)

Animalonfire

Missed 2 strength sessions this week, because I've been feeling pretty ill and thought better of risking making it worse. Today I'm just tired and feeling craggy, so I'll be doing business as usual (Muay Thai). Seriously considering stopping the muay thai and my own 3x/week strength for WODs. The reason being that my results are all strength based, and I'm pretty well useless at everything else. Muay Thai is at a stupid time of the evening that prevents me from both seeing friends on a friday, and getting to sleep at a nice time (9.00 finish, 20 or so minute drive, followed by dinner before I can even consider going to sleep). My problem is telling John (instructor) that at least 60% of the students of that class (me+a couple of others who rarely turn up) wont be training there any more. Plus I really do want to learn, and enjoy it when it's going well. I've been giving this some thought for ages, but have yet to come up with a conclusion that isn't "keep going until you make a decision". I'm pretty sure that it's going to have to be someone else's decision, because I'm too big a pussy to make it. (input would be wonderful)

pogo69

I don't have answers, but I can tell you that I gave up BJJ last year at least partly for the same kind of reason.

My BJJ gym is about a 45min-1hr drive away; training was 7:00pm to 8:30pm, which invariably ran to after 9pm. I have my kids with me every 2nd week, so I had to drag them along which was just too much.

Decide what you love the most; muay thai or a sane lifestyle/timetable. It sounds like you've already made the decision; you just need to embrace it and have no regrets.

All that said; I'm the master of procrastination, so what do I know? :?

Animalonfire

Thanks for the input.

I've certainly decided to stick with it following a good session last week, and quitting halfway through isn't something I'm into TBH. When I feel a competent fighter and not just a striker(which I'm still not quite at), I wouldn't object to dropping it and just getting out the bag every month or so. But not for another year at least 8)

Currently preparing to talk mum(who pulls the strings) into letting me go to the Ido seminar in Helsinki. Luckily just so happens that there is no school on the Friday, and I can afford everything, just allowing me into a foreign country with a group of strange men. And as any British mother knows, strange men are most certainly paedophiles who prey on anyone up to the age of 17 and 364 days whom despite training 5x/week (plus a floreio if I can go to the seminar) are unable to curtail their sexual advances... Of course if such strange men are met by a parent, they are instantly given the all clear invariably :evil: . I'd love to hear from a psychologist why this is the case, but basically I'll need to find someone to take with me, or ask her when she's in a relaxed state (after dinner probably). If I miss the space because of discussions though, I'll be extremely unhappy.

Off for some music research (the omitted songs from the kill bill soundtrack, and are they worth purchasing?...)

Longshanks
Animalonfire said:
Missed 2 strength sessions this week, because I've been feeling pretty ill and thought better of risking making it worse. Today I'm just tired and feeling craggy, so I'll be doing business as usual (Muay Thai). Seriously considering stopping the muay thai and my own 3x/week strength for WODs. The reason being that my results are all strength based, and I'm pretty well useless at everything else. Muay Thai is at a stupid time of the evening that prevents me from both seeing friends on a friday, and getting to sleep at a nice time (9.00 finish, 20 or so minute drive, followed by dinner before I can even consider going to sleep). My problem is telling John (instructor) that at least 60% of the students of that class (me+a couple of others who rarely turn up) wont be training there any more. Plus I really do want to learn, and enjoy it when it's going well. I've been giving this some thought for ages, but have yet to come up with a conclusion that isn't "keep going until you make a decision". I'm pretty sure that it's going to have to be someone else's decision, because I'm too big a pussy to make it. (input would be wonderful)

I'd make something light to eat for tea early on at 5pm ish and just have a PWO shake after training Muay Thai before bed. I know it's sometimes a pain in the ass traveling to training if ait's quite far away (I used to travel 1 hour to BJJ and 30 mins to muay thai twice a week each) but it's well worth it. Especially when you start getting much better, it gets much more fun.

Animalonfire

"Moved on" FSP's quite a while ago actually....

XRLsit: 3x20 (was still struggling so didn't bother to bump up times)

Flever:4x15 focus on recruiting proper muscles, coaches advice to pull shoulders down and back is great

BLever:10x6s Not high any more

Nothing else unless the WOD calls for it.

I ended up going for WOD's, and it turns out my worries about work capacity are unfounded because 1)wods are shorter than push pull core leg 2)WODS are varied in both physical attributes (power,ring strength, etc) and areas of body (I won't give examples :wink: ) 3) some WODs can be done inside my house, so I don't always have to freeze and get filthy in the garden. My only concern is that I barely see any pulling compared to pressing. [Just looked out of the window and saw a (delicious looking) rabbit flea in terror from a bird 1/6 of its size :lol: ]

May be deciding to drop gymnastics now. Having put up with things like static stretching and 5 minute aerobic shit during warm ups, I ended up discovering that hidden by a mat type thing (who's stuffing has all fallen to the bottom, making it just a sack) there is a vary large metal bolt that sticks out of the wall. Screaming left buttock and semi headache ever since, and that was on Thursday, today is Saturday. And the owner(my coach) knew all about it, and despite complaints from coaches doesn't care to have it removed, so I'm going to give him a hard time about it next week, and if I don't get some decent answers I think I'll be off. (Entirely unrelated, I asked him the other week if he got the CD I sent him for Christmas. "Oh!" he says "was that from you?" and just carries on with what he was doing!:evil:. Muay thai instructor OTOH inadvertently looks cross eyed and disappointedly for a moment at the bottle I give him, then tries really hard to look pleased, and thanks me graciously). Then the next day I get a text from john saying no more muay thai until he can find another hall, as the church just doubled the rent ( http://www.christinyou.net/pages/greed.html ), which costs them fully 90 minutes of lighting. Possibly time to go over to 2-3x/week of something somewhere else becuase in the end I'd rather do one thing well than many things moderately(many things well will come later in my life I think). Possible candidates are: Muay thai (in a funky new center that has just popped up in bath), Judo/BJJ (gracie berra academy local), athletics at bath university (super massive sports complex with every bit of kit imagninable (except a sprung floor I think...), floreio art from Ido's blog, boxing somewhere.(Gymnastics not included because I really do dislike the (only) gym). Of those I think possibly just the cheapest, or closest :? . So many variables it's not even worth attempting to use logic. Of course I'll keep up the the WODs and I think. For the time being however, I have to sort out a 5 minute speech in defense of Harry Potter as a piece of literature(despite my knowing very little about either) in the name of extra curricular fun :shock: . "its character building" I keep telling myself..... :roll:

Animalonfire

Longshanks: I'll give that a go if i get the chance :P . Thanks

Animalonfire

I should clarify, the bolt thing was after several instances of "the bitchy ginger coach" coming over and screaming at the whole class every time one of us fell over. She made claims like "if any of you get injured, the club could be closed down" and "Your putting everyone around you in danger". However she is happy to static stretch her entire class for minutes at a time, and a good portion of them have their kneecaps held in place with bits of tape...

Animalonfire

Very quick update:

second incident at gym with a (hidden) chunk of wood next to the trampoline. BANG! said the wood as it greeted my heels, half mumbled, and half shouted at instructor/owner "THIS BLOODY GYMS BOOBY TRAPPED ISN'T IT ROBIN!", and I stormed/limped off and did some Cuban presses in the weight room. got to something like 15kg+(light)bar for 7 reps, because I've forgotten exactally what Ido recommended. Looking into more weightlifting now that I have free gym use because I'm a lifeguard at a sports center :mrgreen: .So reading starting strength and I'll find the press numbers before I next go.

Muay thai back on, but it's still just me and the instructor, who is earning from me below minimum wage minus the combined cost of his fuel, and hall rental :( . I've found a proper BJJ center in my area, and I'm going for a free trial muay thai session followed by a free trial MMA session tomorrow 8) . That means three hours of action! And I can go to other classes on different dates, but for now I'll stick with that + wods + floreio/hand balancing in prep for an ido seminar in my own country :mrgreen: . Gym coach earns enough to own a gym, and john can't be earning anything from me so theoretically no guilt, but I feel like I'm letting john down somehow... And I defiantly owe Mr Brady an apology for cancelling to go to his ido seminar. I think I'll send him a CD.

now off to do the WOD from the 10th because the others all require me to go outside in the dark,rain,mud,cold...

Edit: not quick at all. Title seems very ridiculous now :wink:

Animalonfire

I've had a great time between now and my last post. I'm doing Muay Thai 3x/week and will start BJJ once I'm out of debt from attending an Ido seminar(just payed off) and buying a bar/rack setup (£260 to go).

The seminar covered handstands, mobility, straight arm strength, wrist prehab... all top notch stuff. Photo's on his facebook page of "Brighton UK seminar". All of the stuff makes me feel helplessly inadequate and maladapted exactly as it should :)

Muay Thai also leaves me feeling helplessly inadequate and maladapted, and I daresay so will jiu jitsu

First time deadlift was 5x60kg, which is even worse than it sounds given my 4x71kg HSPU :shock: . Hopefully it will make a few jumps in the coming weeks. It feels like the bar is travelling for miles, perhaps due to my octopus legs...

And the WODs have gone in favor of accumulation/intensification cycles, due to lack of work capacity for them.

A(advanced :D ) level exams in all 4 subjects (Bio, Chem, Maths, Phys) in just over a month :o . Then I'm released for summer :mrgreen: Rough seas ahead

Animalonfire

2 a day for 2 days, then just Ido's (freaking awesome) HS drills today. The others were 5x5 overhead pull/press, muay thai, deadlift,HLL, planche and FL and http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/08/n ... ments.html (i'm very nearly disco ready ;P). All thanks to the royal family for getting married and giving me an extra day off.

Deadlifts are awesome! Lower back work (which I'm deficient in)+grip work(which I'm deficient in)+scapula retraction(which I'm deficient in)+glutes (deficient), and some hamstring action.Semicautious 5x60kg 2 weeks ago is now 5x100kg grinding, but not quite balls to the wall. Double overhand grip starting to feel shaky. I hate the idea of asymmetrical loading so I'll try hook grip before over/under. Cleans being learned with weight tomorrow, so far just 1x50 for presses(20kg less than HSPU!?). I think this is where the money is if I want to throw people effortlessly, along with some time spent tossing a bag around at the "gym"(it's a padded room with some MMA gear). And Greg Everett's Olifting book is on its way from the US because its cheaper over there, probably related to massive VAT. In the meantime I'm getting through some Pavel material and looking for a lower carb replacement for fruit.I remember before I ran out of kcals low carbing was awesome and I'd do well to get back on that trian. looks like I'll be bulk buying some coconut and a few other fat sources http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/search/coconut/.

time for bed