This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Animalonfire's log.

Started by Animalonfire, May 20, 2010 · 29 Replies · 2,722 Views

Animalonfire

Turns out cleans beat up my traps, and I have only 10kg away from 1/2bw on Cuban press

5x3 60kg cleans

2x60+5x50,7x50,7x50 press (smallest increase is 10kg)

3x5 chins+15

would have been 5 of presses and chins but my hour was running out

7 20kg Cuban press, 4x25kg cuban press (nearly got 5) (5plate tied to middle of bar with MA belt)

PWO ~50g WPI and the last of the experimental milk (won't be getting any more!)

Animalonfire

When auto-regulating, I have a horrendous habit of going for my favorite lift, taking ages with it and then deciding I don't really feel like anything else and coming back inside for between 1/4 and 1/2 a gallon of milk with a bunch of WPI. There are so many things wrong with that, and I know so little about programming that I'm vowing to jump back on the WODs after exams are over. This time I'll do them on the allotted day, and O lift around the leg days. Combined with some MA practice and a spot of hand balancing I should be suitably exhausted over the summer. Plus if I get some extra shifts at work I can get a bunch of funding for my various activities as well :). I had a cursory glance at sponsorships earlier, looks like I need a few wins under my belt beforehand, and then I get payed for doing what I'd do anyway :D . I'm quietly confident that this can be arranged when I throw in some "finishing touches" to my present game (including a stack of cardio, perhaps I'll visit my former kickboxing teacher). I'll mention fighting to Frank(coach) once the dreaded exams are vanquished. Feels like I only just got through the last lot, Daily training (usually of better quality than described above) certainly hurts grades, so it's being scrapped for a few weeks (no more than 3) :?

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi, Animalonfire. 8)

I see you practice Muay Thai. That's really cool! I love Muay Thai, but I've never been able to practice it since there isn't a credible instructor for miles around. Muay Thai and BJJ make a deadly combination! Karate would be a great addition, too, but you can't do everything at once!

Have you thought about making your own rack? That would be a lot cheaper. Especially if you know a welder and woodworker who could help you.

Animalonfire

That's interesting, I just assumed boxing would be the logical next step but honestly I have no idea what karate offers. Any particular styles or practitioners to google for? I think a Thai holiday is in order! If only to learn the two main shin "kicks" and post yourself a years supply of coconut :wink:

With regards to the squat rack, the one I'm looking at is 250kg safe and £100 from a site that is renowned for offering 10% off to phone orders, and will be heavily subsidized by my dad who owes me a birthday present after failing to find a wielder for an elaborate high bar/punch bag setup, and we really looked all around. The UK absolutely shits the bed on hardware unfortunately, or I'd have a set of parallel bars and a high bar sorted by now! This is the rack btw http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bod ... p-rack.php . Now when I find room for Stahl bars, I'll insist on making my own (unless I can steal them from school when they re build their sports hall). I'm going to phone and labor the point that I'm a penniless farm hand who mined for many hours to afford a cf315 rack, whilst living on a diet of table scraps and stale bread...

Quick Start Test Smith
Animalonfire said:
That's interesting, I just assumed boxing would be the logical next step but honestly I have no idea what karate offers. Any particular styles or practitioners to google for? I think a Thai holiday is in order! If only to learn the two main shin "kicks" and post yourself a years supply of coconut :wink:

Ha, that would be nice.

Karate is great. Karateka consistently seem to have a crispness and efficiency of movement that a lot of other martial artists don't. Although, in my opinion, any of these old martial arts that were created during hard times are (were) great. Unfortunately, a lot of styles have been reduced into simply sports (not that I have a problem with sports, but sport-karate and real karate needs to be separated). These days, it mostly depends on the practitioner and not the style. Or a very specific group taught by an impressive practitioner with the same philosophy.

Sensei Max Beddow is an impressive Goju-ryu Karate practitioner I've seen on youtube. Check out some of his knife work:

These days, I think that the perfect martial art would be a combination of Muay Thai, BJJ, traditional karate, and boxing.