This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gavin's Workout Log

Started by Gavin Strelitz, May 12, 2010 · 468 Replies · 17,909 Views

Gavin Strelitz

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new here but interested in keeping a log to track progress and hopefully get some useful pointers from some other forum members. :D

About me:

32 years old

5 foot 10

79kgs

I train a T/Th/Sat routine and follow the Steady State Cycle approach.

Static holds max times:

FL: Advanced tuck 40s

BL: Advanced tuck 40s

PL: Tuck 26s

L-sit: PB 30s

I have just started (Tuesday) Week 2 of this cycle and the workout was as follows:

3 mins skipping (double-jumps, criss-crosses and a few other tricks)

3 and a half mins handstand work

4 sets of the following with 3 mins in between sets and 30-40s between exercises:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x Rows (tucked)

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

5 x PPP (feet on a bench)

4 sets of the following with 3 mins in between sets and 30-40s between exercises:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

5 x SLS

PB L-Sit (30s)

5 x HLL

10 x Shoulder dislocates

3 x German Hangs

8 x Wall Extensions

Static air-baby work around 1 min.

Full stretching routine around 25 mins after I've cooled down and chilled out.

Gavin Strelitz

13th May 2010

Week 2 of Cycle

3 mins skippping

3 and a half minutes of handstand work. Showing nice improvement here as I can hold the handstand off the wall for good sections and getting a nice feel for making adjustments to balance with fingers and the heel of my palm. I want to start trying some handstand wall runs soon.

4 sets of:

13s tuck PL

5 x dips

20s advanced tuck BL

5 x weighted pull-ups (I failed to complete the full 5 on the last two sets, but nice slow repetitions throughout)

4 sets of:

20s advanced tuck FL

5 x plyometric jumps onto a bench

15s of L-Sit PB

5 x Circular HLL (completed all but pretty shaky legs in the last two sets)

10 x shoulder dislocates

2 x German Hangs

2 mins of air-baby work. Again, this is improving nicely for a new skill. I'm still on two hands but managed to square my hips out with an extended leg on both sides of my body. I'll try and get a few fingers off the ground with the support hand next time round.

About to go through my stretching routine...

Gavin Strelitz

14th May 2010

45 mins of football (soccer) and we got up 2-0. :D

Gavin Strelitz

15th May 2010

Week 2 of cycle

3 mins skipping

3 and a half minutes of handstand work. I'm going to try more free-standing HS work in the coming week.

4 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

Assisted HSPu x 5

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

Front Lever Pulls Half x 5 (couldn't complete all 5 on the last two sets and my form isn't incredible with these just yet.)

4 sets of:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

Plyometric jumps onto a bench x 5

L-Sit PB (15s)

Back extensions x 10

3 x German Hangs (PB)

10 x Shoulder dislocates

3 x 10s Bridges

Air-baby work. Again nice improvement in this skill. The structure is much more stable and I can open my hips out on both sides. Now to start lifting/decreasing the help with the support hand.

Stretching routine.

Gavin Strelitz

16th May 2010

18 mins of skipping done in 6 sets of 3 mins with a 1 min break in between.

The first and last three mins are a bit of a warm-up and cool down, so no tricks and done at a fairly relaxed tempo. I up the pace for the middle sets and include tricks (double-jumps, criss-crosses etc...)

I've got most of my tricks down so I'll browse around youtube to find a new one or two to slot into the mix.

If I get bored today at some point I'll do a bit more air-baby work and try and get that support hand off the ground...

Congrats to Chelsea on the double, and well done to the Stormers for getting the home semi-final in the Super 14.

Week 3 of the cycle to begin this Tuesday.

Gavin Strelitz

18th May 2010

Week 3 of Cycle

I train in an outdoor area that has all the equipment I currently use, like parallel bars, dips bars and other bits and pieces. This has a few advantages, like being free, and has a great view of the ocean and nice fresh air. However, when it's raining it isn't much fun. So for my training I moved some elements around so I could finish off the rest of it at home once it came bucketing down. I did everything that needed a high bar (FL, BL, Rows) at the park then ran home and finished off my sets.

Total completed work:

Three mins skipping. Good tricking, nice sharp criss-crosses and tried my new trick, an EB. I don't quite have that down yet but it'll come.

4 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s) Completed half at home

5 x PPP Completed half at home

20s Advanced Tuck BL

5 x Rows in Tuck position

4 sets of:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

5 x SLS Completed all at home

L-Sit PB (15s) Completed all at home

5 x Jack-knives Completed at home

10 x Shoulder dislocates

3 and a half minutes of handstand work. This has really come on nicely. When my form is right I naturally come off the wall and I am holding the HS free.

Air-baby work. Also progressing nicely. Opened hips out on both sides and got a couple fingers off the ground with the support hand. I also fell over a few times and now have carpet burn over my left eye. Hilarious.

Felt a bit strange after as my workout as the usual continuity was disrupted but got all the work done anyway.

Saber2

You got a nice log going on. Have you rained in Gymnastics before? I only ask because of your work with the air babies. I am no gymnast but I have been doing this style training for a little over a year and have not progressed as well as you have. Then again I try tackling all my goals instead of focusing on one, because I have an addictive behavior so when I go for one I lose the others. Anyway keep up the good work.

Gavin Strelitz

Cheers Saber,

I haven't trained gymnastics before but my training in the past few years has been based solely on bodyweight exercises like pull-ups and push-ups and that type of thing. BtGB has shown me a whole new range of exercises I can try and a way to structure the workout.

Gavin Strelitz

20th May 2010

Week 3 of Cycle

3 mins skipping

3 and a half minutes of handstand work

4 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x Dips

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

5 x Weighted Pull-ups

4 sets of:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

5 x Plyometric jumps onto a bench

PB L-Sit (15s)

5 x Circular HLL

10 x Shoulder dislocates

3 x German Hangs

Static Air-baby work.

No major advances with the skill work (HS and Air-baby). All up feeling good.

Gavin Strelitz

22nd May 2010

Training was rain affected again. It's been quite miserable in Sydney for the past week.

Three mins skipping

4 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x Assisted HSPu

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

5 x FL Pulls (Half) - Couldn't complete all the reps of all four sets.

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

5 x SLS

PB L-Sit (15s)

10 x Back Extensions

Three and a a half minutes of handstand work

10 x Shoulder dislocates

10 x Wall Extensions

Air baby wok

Gavin Strelitz

23rd May 2010

Skipped for 18 minutes. This is completed in three minute sets with a minute of rest in between. I felt really good through this but was obviously puffing pretty hard at the end. The tricks were performed very nicely. My new trick, a front to back EB, is still in its infancy and is a way from being performed perfectly. I threw it in a few times but I don't quite have the hang of it yet.

Week 4 to start next week. Given that the rain that has lashed Sydney for the next week is set to continue for another week I might try and find an indoor gym for the week and see if I can pay on a per use basis.

Saber2

So your from Australia, beautiful country. I have been there a couple of times because I have a few friends who live in the Sydney area (Mossman). Australia is the only country I would want to live in if I left the states. You guys have the best public transportation system.

Two questions:

1) What is the Front to Back EB? Sounds interesting

2) Did the State of Origin begin and who is up? Yeah thats right this Yankee knows all about the State of Origin. When I last visited in 2005 I got to go to the 2nd game.

Gavin Strelitz

Hey Saber,

I'm pleasantly surprised to know that an American knows about State of Origin. The series starts on Wednesday (tomorrow night) and I'm really looking forward to it. I think this series will be brutal. Despite living in NSW for the past 14 years I back the Queenslanders. I lived in Mosman for about a year and half.

An EB is sort of like a criss-cross performed by starting with a side. That might not mean much to you so check out this clip.

Go Queensland!!!

Gavin Strelitz

25 May 2010

Week 4 of cycle

I managed to get a day pass for an indoor gym. Pretty strange experience as I'm used to training outdoors. Anyway, they had everything I needed so got in a very good session.

Three mins skipping

Three and a half minutes HS work

4 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x PPP (inclined)

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

5 x Tuck Rows

4 sets of:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

5 x SLS

PB L-sit (15s)

5 x HLL

10 x Shoulder dislocates

3 x German Hangs

Static Air baby work for around 2 mins. Lots of control now in the leg extension on both sides.

Gavin Strelitz

27 May 2010

Week 4 of the Cycle

Nicley focussed in this session and the technique in my holds and exercises is getting better. My body is responding well to the load at the moment.

Three mins skipping

Three and a half minutes of HS work. I tried freestanding for the last minute but it wasn't great, rolled forward a few times and didn't get any decent spells of staying up. I'll keep at it though.

4 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x Dips

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

5 x Weighted Pull-ups

4 sets of:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

5 x Plyometric jumps onto a bench

PB L-Sit (15s)

5 X Circular HLL

3 x German Hangs

10 x Shoulder dislocates

Air-baby work

1 min Headstand

Stretching routine.

Gavin Strelitz

29 May 2010

Week 4 of Cycle

I trained again in the rain today. The good news is that after this weekend the forecast is for no more rain. We'll see how that actually pans out though.

Three mins skipping

Three and a half minutes of HS work. After last session I went back to working off the wall with the last minute and a half aimed at free standing. This worked well and I got some good holds.

4 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x Assisted HSPU

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

5 x Front lever pulls (I did the full version of the exercise in half-lay to get better form)

4 sets of:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

5 x SLS

PB L-sit (15s)

10 x back extensions

10 x Shoulder dislocates

3 x German Hangs

Air baby work for around 2 mins.

Week 5 of the Cycle to begin next week and I'll throw in some skipping tomorrow, hopefully it isn't raining.

Gavin Strelitz

30 May 2010

18 mins skipping and no rain. I pulled off my new trick maybe once or twice but I'll just keep working it until it feels natural.

Gavin Strelitz

1 June 2010

Week 5 of Cycle

I have noticed a very slight twinge in my right pectoral. It's quite dull but can be sharp in certain circumstances. What is the best thing to do in terms of rehabbing/recovering? Should I cut my training in half in terms of number of sets? How will this affect the steady state cycle? I will continue to stretch and massage each day but I'd appreciate any feedback on the best way to deal with this. As I said it's quite minor at the moment and I'd like to deal with it before it becomes an issue.

Despite this I was able to complete my full workout, although that probably wasn't wise. I'll see how it feels tomorrow morning.

Three mins skipping

Three and a half minutes of HS

4 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x PPP

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

5 x Tuck Rows

4 sets of:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s)

5 x Plyo jumps onto a bench

PB L-Sit (15s)

5 x HLL

10 x Shoulder dislocates (slight irritation of my pectoral on some reps while doing this)

3 x German Hangs

Air-baby work

Stretching routine.

Saber2

My advice is do light sets on chest excercises if it doesn't bother you. Otherwise you may need to take a day or two rest on the chest and let it recover. By light sets I mean instead of Planche work do pushups or even wall pushups. Something that will maintain the muscle but not tax it. As for will it hurt your steady state, that all depends on how you respond after recovery. Keep on stretching and you should be back in no time.

Also when I have muscle pain, I try to consume more protien. I am not a science person but I know our muscles need protien so even if they are sore I figure it can't hurt to have more protien. I might get blasted by others who know more on the topic, but I am just saying this seems to work for me.

Gavin Strelitz

Cheers Saber. I'm going to back off most chest exercises and train around it, but will maintain the muscle as you say.

I'm doing lots of stretching and massaging and keeping up the nutrition.

Gavin Strelitz

3 June 2010

Week 5 of Cycle

My chest still has a slight twinge so in today's session I cut out alot of work. Also, it's still raining quite hard so I'm not going to train in the park. I'm massaging and doing lots of stretching to get my chest back to 100%. No FL or BL work or pull-ups or dips, so quite light in the chest area really.

2 and a half minutes HS work

2 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x normal pushups

4 sets of:

5 x SLS

PB L-sit (15s)

5 x Leg raises

10 x Shoulder dislocates

Stretching routine

I'll continue to monitor the chest until I am good to resume full load. I'm also starting trigger point massage work with a tennis ball.

Gavin Strelitz

5 June 2010

Week 5 of Cycle

I did a good trigger point massage session with a tennis ball last night, focussed on the upper body. It did a good job and my upper body feels much more loose today, especially my traps. My right pectoral is recovering very well and to keep that going I have halved the chest exercises for today's session.

Three mins skipping

3 and a half minutes HS work

2 sets of:

Tuck PL (13s)

5 x Assisted HSPu

Advanced Tuck BL (20s)

5 x Front Lever pulls in half lay

4 sets of:

Advanced Tuck FL (20s and completed two reps, not four)

5 x Plyo jumps onto a bench

PB L-sit (15s)

10 x Back extensions

3 x German Hangs

10 x Shoulder dislocates

Air baby work

Stretching routine

I'm also going for an hour massage shortly and will continue to work on the right pec with the hope that it's 100% for the start of the next week.

Gavin Strelitz

6 June 2010

18 mins skipping.

Gavin Strelitz

8 June 2010

Week 6 of Cycle

My chest is still slightly irritated so I'm cutting out almost all the work that attacks the upper body until I am 100%. So tonight's session was pretty light. I'm seeing a physio on Thursday to find out what I've done and to fix it.

Three mins skipping

4 sets of:

5 x Pushups (don't hurt)

5 x SLS

PB L-sit (15s)

5 x HLL

1 min of Headstand work

Stretching routine

Gavin Strelitz

10 June 2010

Week 6 of Cycle, although this Cycle is now defunct.

I went to a physio to get an offical line on what I've done to my chest. It's a pectoralis minor irritation (strain) on my right side. Physio has given me an excercise to do and I'll monitor it as I go. Also, after posting about this injury in the Joint Flexibility section Coach suggested I focus on recovery and 100% healing and then on re-designing my program. So this weekend I'll have a look at what I'm doing and adjust intensity and volume accordingly. Obviously I'll only start this new program once I am completely healed. In the meantime I will continue to work areas that aren't affecting my chest and stretch and massage.

4 sets of:

5 x pushups (not affecting my chest)

5 x SLS

PB - L-sit (15s)

5 x leg raises

10 x Shoulder dislocates

10 x wall extensions

Stretching routine