Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

getting ready for life after 70

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

This is a bit long winded, but even so.
I discovered this website about a year ago, by way of the Crossfit main site, and got inspired enough to start using my rings and pull-up bar with a bit more focus. I knew I could do a muscle-up (no kipping) and decided that it was time to see what I could make of a front lever; having admired and aspired to do John Gill’s FL and one arm PU way back when I was a rock jock. So, here is what I discovered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?vrncGa8wC4X4

Time to let the world know that (gymnastic skills’) life is not over yet in your late 60’s. Owing a (small) debt to the good CF community and conscious about their definition of fitness, I posted a challenge: 10 sec. hold of straddle FL, BL, and 30 sec. free HS. Of course, hubris (and the urge to show off) took hold of me and I started to try skills that take a lot more base line than I have, like the iron cross (thank you Blairbob for giving me a nudge back in the right direction):

Fortunately my elbows told me to not push it and I got back on track with the free HS training, starting out with bungee cord support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn9zoG6cRDuY

, and then, after 2 months having found the right ceiling height in my house and with another 4 months of diligent practice, my 25 second free HS (I know, I still have to learn to kick up into a free HS, but that will come, believe me):

You can imagine that I have now become very curious about how far I can get with these simple static gymnastic skills, which I simply love to do. So, I got coach Sommer’s book and are experimenting now with further programming for the FL, BL and free HS. I plan to make use of the digital coaching here if there is something to coach. You are more than welcome to comment on my current FL, iron cross and HS form, but please realize that this may be as good as it gets. Currently, I expect that it takes at least 50 hours of quality practice to get a good handle on a new skill (like a free HS push up, once having mastered the free HS).

Besides feeling really good, one of the side benefits of all this is that I have started to get serious about stretching (using some basic yoga). No, I do not have a gymnastics background. I am not an exceptional athlete. My age and proportions are not ideal for gymnastics (69 this month, 6’1â€, 169 lbs). I am not interested in getting “bigâ€; more than happy with how I look. My strength and body control that allowed me to get a straddle FL pretty quickly are probably from rowing and long distance x-cntry skiing (e.g. double poling 40 km). If you are curious to see how that works, here I am rowing a 2- in a 7.5 km race:

Neal Winkler

Hey I seen your videos before! Glad to have you on board, and I also look forward to fitness after 70 (in many decades in the future). :wink: :lol:

Erg inspirerend Frits! Ik ben een stuk jonger dan jij (bijna 36 nu) en pas kort geleden begonnen met experimenteren met dit soort kracht- en balanstraining maar ik vind het geweldig. Bedankt voor je videos en je verhaal - extra motivatie voor mij!

I hope to see more posts and videos in the future - they are a true testimonial to the power of the body and the mind!

Frank_GulfCoast

Greetings from CrossFit Gulf Coast in Sarasota, Florida!

Awesome work!

Great to see another fellow CrossFitter over here.

Keep up the great work!

nytennisaddict

I am inspired! i'm gonna think about this when i get that "i-don't-feel-like-working-out-itch".

do you think you can post your typical weekly workout here? i'm wondering about volume/rest ratio... I figure I have 30+ years to catch up to you :P

-d

Spartan300

That's great, really enjoyed these videos. I'm 47 and have just started introducing gymnastic moves into my existing program so this is inspiring.

Just goes to show, if you keep training, the body is amazingly adaptive.

Truly age is no barrier, let's face it you're not gonna be at the olympics, but that's not the point, the point is the fitness and strength that you can develop and keep until your later years is incredible.

This guy is truly inspirational and i take my hat off to him, superb. :D

Very RESPECTABLE :!: :!: :!:

I can only wish I will be in that kind of condition at this age.

RESPECT!!!!! You make me feel weak haha, but wow that is so damn good you should be proud of yourself!

At almost 70 years of age... AMAZING! Keep up the great work. I'm 30 and not at your level yet. I can only hope (and work) to be as healthy, fit and vibrant into my later years. You are truly an inspiration. Thank you.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

My excuses, another one of these long winded postings.

Thank you for your positive responses.

It is interesting to see how much more skills that combine strength, coordination, balance, agility, flexibility and accuracy are appreciated when age is added to the equation. Never mind. Me inspiring you, inspires me as well. I aspire to eventually be able to do a HS on a rollator (a four-wheeled walking aid that I can already get as part of the old-age health insurance package here in The Netherlands). I just read where coach Sommers talks in his book about one of his fellow coaches who can do 75+ full ROM HSPU at age 60+, and I am thinking "If he can do 75+, what excuse do I have not to get at least one!".

Here are my reactions/answers to your reactions/questions.

Blomleg: Een handstand doet wonderen om (weer) balans te krijgen in je leven. Bovendien is het goed voor je hart. Niet te gauw opgeven! Geef het een beetje tijd om het leuk te gaan vinden.

Frank-GulfCoast: No, I am not at CF-er. I like the community and athletes a lot but not the training method. Timed motion to increase work capacity was an original idea of Henry Ford that brought him riches and his workers job security. Becoming a slave of the stop watch is not for me, though. It makes me nervous and it does not help me to find the control and balance that I am looking for. Besides, I can still pick up and move a refrigerator if I have to. Just kidding.

Spartan300. Yes, the body is amazingly adaptive, but even more so, the body goes where the mind leads. For example, at least half of the time practicing to balance on my hands I am fighting the impulse to let my feet come down when I overbalance.

nytennisaddct: Posting my w/o schedule won't serve your purpose, I think. Here is an overview. I row 4x a week for endurance (I still race). On the days I row, I do gymnastic static strength training (GSTT) before or after rowing after a couple of hours rest. I always stretch at least half an hour before GSTT and often in between. I try to focus on quality and not quantity. Volume and frequency (5x a week instead of 3x a week; 2 hours a session instead of 15 minutes ) will go up as I become more proficient at a skill (I have a compulsive personality). If the mood grabs me then I will do 2 GSTT sessions a day, just because I enjoy it that much; usually, I will then take one or two days rest. I do a lot of visualization, and am convinced that it helps together with getting feedback from a video.

trianglechoke7, omegant, adsy, gregor, stevena9: Thank you. If I can do it, you can do it. Just be patient. Thirty years is plenty of time for adaptation.

Longshanks

Very impressive! I hope to god I'm doing that well when I'm 70! :shock:

Aside from being quite strong, you look great for 69. I would love to be as fit as you appear when I get to that age. Do you have attribute much of your physical condition to diet or other health habits? I'd love some details if you are up for it.

Jay

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I think it is partly genetics, but mostly the type of exercise I do. My endurance type of training (rowing and x-country skiing) keeps me lean by keeping my level of metabolism high (i.e. I burn a lot of calories throughout the day because I do high intensity aerobic and anaerobic exercise 6 to 8 hours a week by rowing); besides, I don't overeat and I am very conscious of what I eat, even if I do not keep a strict diet. The stretching and static strength type of gymnastic training that I do about 8 to 10 hours a week are the main reason that I do not look as "flabby" as some, or maybe most, in my age group. Just to be clear about it, I don't think there is anything wrong with looking your age. So, "flabby" is OK, by my count. In fact, a lot of "flabby" looking athletes in my age group can row or x-country ski circles around me. If my physical condition (as you call it) is closer to the ideal that was defined way back in ancient Greece, then that is because I love to challenge myself with these skills that take strength and balance.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm totally getting back into training seriously because of you. Thank you. It's really inspirational to see this. You're over 4x my age and there are things in your videos that I can't do; it really make me want to try harder...

Your mindset is just phenomenal, by the way. Why can't all old people be like you? heheh

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I agree that mind set is the key. I think giving in to stereo typing is what handicaps a lot of people when they get older. And, maybe modern man is just lazy and really beliefs that happiness is to be found in the number of pills you take.

I've tried to convince my parents that age has only a little to do with being able to stay fit, as I've heard it in many places, but they won't listen to me. In fact, I'm going to go show them this video right now. :D

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I hope it helps. My wife and kids all appreciate the fact that I am working hard on staying fit. I do a lot of rock climbing with one of my sons. My daughter, who is heavily into yoga, gives me pointers on flexibility and balance, while I can show her some of my strength moves. I go mountain biking with my other daughter. I sometimes join my wife when she x-cntry skis from East to West across Finland each winter. It adds up to a lot of quality time together.

I hope it helps. My wife and kids all appreciate the fact that I am working hard on staying fit. I do a lot of rock climbing with one of my sons. My daughter, who is heavily into yoga, gives me pointers on flexibility and balance, while I can show her some of my strength moves. I go mountain biking with my other daughter. I sometimes join my wife when she x-cntry skis from East to West across Finland each winter. It adds up to a lot of quality time together.

Where are you located Frits? I'm in Helsinki, if you're ever in the neighborhood let me know it be nice to meet. I'm also a yoga teacher and have a studio here so there's a common thread...

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I live in Heemstede, The Netherlands (near Amsterdam). Living in Finland, you probably know about the Rajalta Rajalle - hiihto (the border to border ski). That is the one I am referring to. Last year my wife and I also joined a small group that was skiing from Virolahti to the Arctic Ocean. We “only†did the last 715 km from Kuusamo to the Arctic Ocean. I am trying to decide whether to participate again next year. I agree; there is a common thread. I have no plans right now to visit Helsinki, but if I do I know how to contact you.

• 3 weeks later...
Ryan Hutchins

wow.. you have inspired me. I already was into gymnastics and training. But i would slack sometimes and not be serious about a schedule. You will be in the back of my mind kicking me when i get tired. Your dedication and overall level of fitness is something that we all should have. Regardless of age.