Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Converting a tire for sled use

Ryan Libke

OK, I have a great tire that I want use as a sled for pulling. I want to attach an eye bolt, but before I do, I am concerned about drilling into rubber and then a steel belt. Any suggestions? Any experience? What diameter eye bold and drill bit would be best?

At some point, I might put some weight on it, but I think the friction will be enough resistance for sprints right now. I have seen a few ideas on-line, but thought to ask the forum members here.

Joshua Naterman

Get a 3/8 eye bolt, that'll be PLENTY.Put a nut all the way up the eyebolt and then a large washer. Put that into the 3/8 hole you drilled into the tire, you'll probably have to hammer it in. From the inside of the tire put another large washer all the way on, cover threads for 1/2 inch with epoxy glue or threadlock, and screw on the second nut. Use threadlock or epoxy glue or something snazzy like that to seal the threads below the nut, preferably the epoxy. That epoxy clay stuff also works great. Now you can either use the tire by itself or you can fill the tire with cement. You could also put some wood planks inside the tire and lay weight plates down for added resistance. Have fun and don't worry about drilling the rubber, it will be easy! I would suggest using a metal bit, since there are steel strings inside the tire rubber.

Ryan Libke

Thanks for the advice. I bought a metal drill bit and got through the steel belt. I end up having to screw the bolt through the steel belt. Hammering did not work for me. I managed to pound my thumb, but not the bolt. :cry:

Joshua Naterman

LOL!!! Poor thumb! Well, at least the bolt is through the tire! Sorry about the thumb.