Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I try to gain?

Kyle Courville

Kyle Courville

I am 15 years old, 5'8", weigh about 138 pounds, and have a bodyfat% of about 6-10%. I want to put on about 10 lbs of lean bodyweight(I know while gaining muscle you gain fat) in 8 months, but I am worried if trying to get bigger or serious strength training will affect my growth. I seriously doubt I am finished growing yet; my Dr told me I still had a ways to go at my last visit in January. Will gaining that much muscle slow or stunt my growth? My whole family is tall. My dad is about 6'3" and my mom is about 5'10" or 5'11".

P.S. I hope this is the right thread since gaining is a diet thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Animalonfire

Damn! I just wrote a really long response and my internet cut out and lost it.Again but in slightly less good grammar/detail:

I'm 16, 5'9", 145-150lb, 7-9%BF. Up from 133ish, some of that was skeletal growth (it was a while ago..).

Gymnasts tend to be short, because smaller guys tend to make better gymnasts, many gymnasts are Chinese(has to be said). See how big some of the eastern European ones are, was their growth stunted? And chances are you're training wont approach theirs in either intensity or volume.

Growing requires energy, so eat a bit more then recommended, simple. Perpetual hunger in teenage males tends to be the result of their eating so badly and not getting enough nutrients (usually protein- 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (body massx(100%-bf%) per day is a good place to start (more as/if you need it) ). The closer to paleo the better. Yes you are growing, no you are not immune to eating crap, it will either mess you up visibly, or quietly. It will not leave you undamaged, you are not unique or special (in that respect, I'm sure you're very special in your owm way :P ).

Presumably you live with your parents, they buy the food so let them know what you're after, or you'll just create conflict. If they oppose what you eat, have a counter argument ready (you may wish to practice on friends after you've one your research. Just to add, there are few feelings more satisfying than that you get from eating a pork rind in front of a squeamish vegetarian(no that is not unfair, they eat tofu and rice in front of me)). Also, if you can cook something appealing that fits with your diet it helps in persuasion, try and get them involved and you're onto a winner (my mum lost 3kg in 3 weeks by loosely following paleo, the breadmaker weeps in the corner.)

Anyway, hopefully it works this time :D . Of course you should try and gain, it's good for you.

As usual I've left some loose brackets lying around to keep you on your toes.... No-ones perfect :wink:

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.