Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope climb cirques question vs ring OAC work

Asad Chaman-Ali

Asad Chaman-Ali

Hi does anyone here have experience what in the long run without wasting your time and effort pays off for OAC/OAP work direct unilateral work on the rings like archers mantles negatives or more indirect on the climbing rope like legless and the final progression called cirques.

Alessandro Mainente

There is no comparison between the rope climbing and the one arm chin up, the biggest differences and the most important regards:

-the type of grip that on rope climbing in radial or longitudinal, this creates a massive conditioning of the last 2 hand fingers muscles avoid the frustration of having an epitrocleitis in the future due to bad preparation;

-the movement of changing the arm makes a massive work for the lower and middle traps something you cannot perform with single arm chin up

-rope climbing is the milestone for preparing for one arm chin up.a lot of guys here in Italy using a self-made approach now have terrible elbows conditioning while my clients with a strict preparation with GB protocols have one arm chin up and pullup with healthy elbows.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Asad Chaman-Ali

But since its brachialis intensive rope climbing. My main question is does it have carryover to pronated grip OAP. I am mostly strong with pronated grip on the bar or rings to make a small motion depression the scapula bending the elbow arm to 45 degrees. But cant get past that stage. My right arm lat scapula is my right where i am able to get past from the dead to 45 degree arm angle but the weak point in my case is the biceps i think.

Alessandro Mainente

The weak point is a combination of weak shoulder extension and weak elbow flexion. Unfortunately, I cannot make any type of conclusion because I've never trained you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 5:01 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

There is no comparison between the rope climbing and the one arm chin up, the biggest differences and the most important regards:

-the type of grip that on rope climbing in radial or longitudinal, this creates a massive conditioning of the last 2 hand fingers muscles avoid the frustration of having an epitrocleitis in the future due to bad preparation;

-the movement of changing the arm makes a massive work for the lower and middle traps something you cannot perform with single arm chin up

-rope climbing is the milestone for preparing for one arm chin up.a lot of guys here in Italy using a self-made approach now have terrible elbows conditioning while my clients with a strict preparation with GB protocols have one arm chin up and pullup with healthy elbows.

I was told by previous athletic trainers (specifically in baseball) that  epitcondylitis occurred from overuse of forearm/elbow muscles in baseball bat type grip , which would be similar to the grip on rope climbs. Could you articulate how rope climbs would prevent epitcondylitis?

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

there is no load or exercise that can cause injury but how you reach this exercise.

100 kg of benchpress can cause shoulder problem if you reach them too fast without proper connective tissue adaptation. on the other side if the time required for tissue adaptation is respected there no reasons for having an injury.

i would add that the rope climbing is a controlled movement while the baseball is accelerated first and followed by an eccentric effort until the end of the movement. accelerated pattern movement can be performed only due to connective tissue properties that can accumulate and release energy. if the connective tissue is not prepared then the rate of healing is longer compared to the frequency of the technical exercise. and this leads to injury.

the problem is not the load, is how you reach this load.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Asad Chaman-Ali

But just mastering basic legless rope climbs building up to 5x5 will that alone get me a OAC concentric dead hang rep. Or do i also need to work the dead hang part seperately?.

My scap retraction depression is pretty descent on the bar. But as you said rope climbs heavily works the brachialis forearm elbow flexors while also having some tendon conditioning effect. And also some lower trapezius muscles which is also some of the Muscles that your use in OAC.

But last point will working alone on basic legless rope climbs get me a OAC from dead hang Or do i need to add weight vest after i reach 5x5 My elbows forearms are pretty strong since i can do a supinated back lever progressions without any kind of pain discomfort!. So about frequency about the rope climbs and load volume intensity?.

I am long time ago past that tendonitis stage!

Alessandro Mainente

Back lever does not prepare for rope climbing and vice versa. bent arm strength is a different world from straight arm strength.

Rope climbing has conditioning effect and the structures involved must already be conditioned for rope climbing. if not inner elbow problems are behind the angle.

in the major case of my clients, i had the necessity to implement more structured programming for the one arm chin up after achieving a triple 5mt legless rope climbing.

only a couple of them who are extremely strong on pulling got the oac after the rope climbing mastery.

• Like 1

Asad Chaman-Ali

One last question dude before we end this topic. Is there a difference between how the scapula lower middle trapezius bicep brachialis muscles are hit during either short vs long strokes on the rope climb exercise. I mean i know plenty of crossfitters who are able to do a heck alot of rope climbs both legs and legless but no way are capable of the slightiest bit of OAC/OAP. But they take the exercise during the WOD as efficient as possible. And they do short strokes. So the main question is does long strokes on the rope hit the biceps brachialis scapula trapezius harder for the OAC purpose?.