Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Working Rings at the Local Playground..

LkBurn

Hello there!

I received my second pair of Coach Sommer's rings, today. I decided to bring my first pair out to venture. My friend and I, who have been moderately ring training together, went to a local playground to hang these rings from. It was a nice day outside today-- 71 degrees in the Providence, Rhode Island area. The first park we went to had no where to successfully hang the rings, or atleast had no children on it. Therefore, we decided it would be a smart idea to relocate to another local playground. We arrive at the park, see that there is a swing set that is about 12 feet high that would be perfect for mounting the rings .. and there were no children on them. My friend and I wrapped the swings around the supporting poles and brought out the rings. People in the park had the most astounding look on their faces; we must've shocked them bringing gymnastic training into a playground. We set up the rings, double wrapping them so they would not shimmy around on the bar above us, and began doing an extremely basic routine. My friend began just jumping to support and doing basic ring dips, which looked pretty beastly in itself. It was my turn and was feeling pretty good. I began doing some basic routines that I've seen on here, such as a muscle up to a forward roll to hang, then to a back lever. I rotated to an inverted hang and attempted to do the second portion of "basic ring routine I" and go through a front lever. Although I went through the position, it was way too fast and can feel the strength deficiency (which is the skill I am trying to work, along with planche). Now, I am hanging and use my strength to pull through a muscle up and back to support. People are looking at me like I just completed an act of God, and I decide to try my luck with my iron cross. I have been able to hit it a couple of times for about 2.5 seconds, and that was starting fresh. I decided to go for it, anyways, lowering into the position of the cross. Now in the cross position, my pectorals on fire, my triceps tiring, and probably turning red in the face, I realize I had stopped a game of basketball. The faces on those kids were priceless, even though I only held it for about a second and a half. I can only say this:

Thank you Coach Sommer for your excellent articles that are available on the web (having me reach the iron cross) and your superbly designed rings that a pair are now kept in my car.

Sorry for the long post, it was just a really awesome (for lack of a better word) feeling.

Guest Chiflado

Haha I enjoyed reading that! I went on a cruise in Feb (absolutely horrible cruise btw... :P The stops were ok but the ship itself was not so great... they did have a pretty nice gym though... :P) anyways I was doing some bodyweight stuff and this guy said something to me like "You are doing some hard work." (I think I had just done some pistols...) Of course about everyone else is on some type of machine or pumping iron so I was sort of an odd ball... :P

Thats awesome! I get that reaction in the park sometimes too. IN fact all my friends and I usually do when we work out in the park. A few times we had a rings setup similar to yours and we got some funny looks. The best part was when these BIG guys showed up after seeing us practicing basics ring stuff like muscle ups and levers. They figured it would be easy for them since they were so huge. One guy was able to get up but couldnt stabilize for his life. THe other guys chest was so big he couldnt bring the rings in to be able to muscle up. It was a humbling experience for them.

Heres a short video of myself in the park on doing some basic ring stuff and other random fun body weight training. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09YKMyCqD0

Joe

Guest Chiflado

Hehehe... well actually in comparison with alot of the guys on here I'm a weakling. It is interesting to here the stories though...

Sorry I guess I my thing may have been egotistical (is that even a word?)

Sorry about that.

John Sapinoso

haha don't be sorry that comment was all in good fun

[=