Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today I realized I don't know how to strength train

Santiago Pinzón

Santiago Pinzón

Today while I was training I realized this. Let me explain.

I've been training for about 2 years gymnastics type and 3 year+ of lifting before that. In that period my focus has always being strength (not endurance or muscle) and I have achieved things like a 405 deadlift, muscle ups, straddle front lever and so on.

The thing is, while in flexibility training I feel like I really know how to stretch, in strength I feel ignorant on how to actually do the exercises. It is not a matter of form or programming, it's about HOW TO ACTUALLY DO IT. For example, when I see how most people stretch I know it's ineffective because they struggle too much, stay in the position too short and try to force themselves into positions that are out of reach. When I stretch I know the correct depth at which to be, which muscles to contract, etc etc. But in strength, I realized I'm just how I see most people are in flexibility: I get into a position, struggle too much, get impatient and try to get myself into something harder (ie. a full front lever), only to fail and retry. Up to now my progress in flexibility has surpassed greatly that in strength, I do not think it has to be with genetics (I always was gifted for endurance, not these too) but on this crucial point.

Also, I don't know the most effective exercises for strength. In flexibility loaded flexibility was a game changer for me, but strength is just a constant frustration.

So this is both 1) something for people to reflect on. You may do an exercise, but do you really understand it? Al least for me understanding = progress; 2) A question on any insights you may have on this. Do you know any books that talk about this? Specially very strong people, could you put into words how to you actually do the strength exercises? Do you try to go to failure, do your max, stay on a 70% max zone, what??

Thank you!!

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Strength training is a process of optimizing a motor schema/pattern. When you move t failure you have no chances to develop the same level of QUALITY in this schema, never. a minimum of the buffer is necessary.

The problem is basic theory and methodology of training plus programming, something covered pretty well in the books of tudor bompa & carlo buzzichelli.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Jason Berger

Pavel Tsatsouline's Naked Warrior is a fantastic book, exactly what you want in terms of activating your body for maximum strength. Also look into old Maxick / Max Alding muscle control courses.