Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joaquin Malagon

Pull-Ups

Recommended Posts

Joaquin Malagon

Hey community, is it unusual to be able to crank out a few pullups after being able to perform decline rows for reps? Also are foot supported  pullups okay to work on in conjunction with different row variations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joaquin Malagon

Also is there a horizontal pulling variation that heavily stresses the lats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Joaquin Malagon said:

Hey community, is it unusual to be able to crank out a few pullups after being able to perform decline rows for reps? Also are foot supported  pullups okay to work on in conjunction with different row variations?

The primary goal of rowing variation is to prepare the grip and the primary elbow flexor, this preparation must be achieved prior to the pullup approach. so finish the rowing variation then approach the pullup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frank Santasiero

Rowing movements work many of the same muscle groups as pullups so if you work rowing movements with intensity and then move right on to pullups then your ability to perform pullups will be compromised. Similar to doing heavy bench presses and then moving right to dips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke Searra

Joaquin, by foot supported pull-ups, do you mean someone holding your feet or using a band?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joaquin Malagon

To clear up any confusion I didn't mean doing pullups right after rows, but rather that doing rows can allow you to do pullups. @Luke Searra By foot supported I meant doing a pullup with the feet resting on a surface, sort of like bench dips.

Edited by Joaquin Malagon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frank Santasiero
On ‎05‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Joaquin Malagon said:

To clear up any confusion I didn't mean doing pullups right after rows, but rather that doing rows can allow you to do pullups. @Luke Searra By foot supported I meant doing a pullup with the feet resting on a surface, sort of like bench dips.

Well then from that perspective, yes doing rows can help in your ability to do pullups. Unless of course you do them right before pullups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke Searra

Joaquin, yes, ring rows will absolutely give the pre-requisite strength to do Pull-ups, as well as having strength carryover into other elements like legless rope climbs. Having your feet on a surface is definitely one way to scale the pull-ups, just as you could by using negative pull-ups. The eventual goal of course would be to use less and less strength in the supporting legs so that you can eventually do the pull-ups with no support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joaquin Malagon

Oh okay that makes perfect sense, also one more question. For rows at least, must we retract the scapula first prior to pulling or can we retract as we pull? Which one gives the most benefit? The reason I ask is because that is how I have been doing my toes but now I am unsure if it the proper way to do them. 

Edited by Joaquin Malagon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Joaquin Malagon said:

Oh okay that makes perfect sense, also one more question. For rows at least, must we retract the scapula first prior to pulling or can we retract as we pull? Which one gives the most benefit? The reason I ask is because that is how I have been doing my toes but now I am unsure if it the proper way to do them. 

The bottom position should have the depression plus a neutral position of the scapulae that has the most benefits in terms of stabilization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joaquin Malagon

Great! This is how I have been doing them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.