This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ground rows - WOW

Started by Leigh Kettle, March 21, 2018 · 66 Replies · 3,866 Views

Thomas Hanssen

Im curious to see how this goes aswell.

These forumthreads have a tendency to become a "Heres what i am doing so thats what you should also be doing"

I might add that people can have a very different outcome to a training program, due to genetics and the fact that  we are unique little snowflakes:) 

If there was a perfect program we would all be in a few years elite gymnasts doing malteses and mannas. While others thrive on high volume lower frequency, others are better off at high frequency, low volume...Just another cent.

 

Leigh Kettle

I totally get you Thomas but I’ve been stuck for too long on these ring rows to not give some other ideas a shot ha ha 

 

 

Steve Parris

Ground rows and push ups took me seven months, despite previously conquering slow muscle ups, L sit Russian dips and wide L sit chins. 

Chris Fluck

Love reading the strategies! For what it's worth, I just moved to step 6 of PE2 ground rows. 10 months so far on ground rows and 8 months alone on step 5. "Chop wood and carry water." 

I've enjoyed listening to Coach on the Tim Ferris podcast multiple times. I always pick up something new or get a reinforcement. To the best of my ability, I've embraced the concept that Foundation is a 4 year college program for me. As of now I'm a first semester "sophomore" LOL. This outlook really helps. I'd say I've only gained maybe 3-5 reps over what I could do 5 months ago but the feeling of them is radically more powerful and the carryover to daily activity is profound! Hang in there everyone!

Ryan Walker

I’m also struggling with Rows and felt there is some good info in this thread. I think one struggle is that it’s a big jump from incline to ground rows. It doesn’t need to be like that. You can gradually increase the load by increasing the angle. Do this by moving your feet forward from the ring and/ or lowering the rings. The rep schemes suggested are awesome, but I would also suggest adding high rep / low load and low rep / high load to further muscle confusion. This would include moving back to incline rows and up to elevated rows as long as you can maintain proper form and use the lats.

I would also consider changing tempos.  If you don’t know how this works read this: https://www.t-nation.com/training/questions-about-tempo-training

Everyone is different and these tactics are not always nessecary, but if you are working hard and stuck on the same movement and reps for 6 months, you should have changed it up months ago. This is basic strength & condition.

As far as increasing load with angle, this is what my floor looks like so I can help track. 1 where my feet are for elivated rows and 7 is where I’m at for floor rows. I have to lower the rings for floor, but you get the idea.

E06040A3-F5F0-464E-BFAB-D89C5F41448B.jpeg

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys 

so ........

after weeks of trying the scheme given to me by @Paul Bassett here I am final set of 4x9reps

this is the second time this week to prove it wasn’t a fluke 

if coaches come back with the foRm isn’t good enough I may have to quit gb and take up ballet -this may be more suitable to my weak ass pulling strength lololol 

what you guys think 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Awesome job, Leigh! Congrats on the great progress!

Paul Bassett
On 6/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, Leigh Kettle said:

Hey guys 

so ........

after weeks of trying the scheme given to me by @Paul Bassett here I am final set of 4x9reps

this is the second time this week to prove it wasn’t a fluke 

if coaches come back with the foRm isn’t good enough I may have to quit gb and take up ballet -this may be more suitable to my weak ass pulling strength lololol 

what you guys think 

 

Cool!!! Nice!

What's your next move?

Leigh Kettle

Thanks jeffrey

And again big thanks to you Paul 

in answer to your questionn I’m  gonna give 5x9 a go over a couple of weeks period and see how I get on 

its difficult to say what kind of rep scheme plateau buster could work for me  as the reps increase tho- for example when I inevitably get stuck on the 12 rep sets that are round the corner  ... 10 sets of 6,7,8 maybe ... like you say . Surely that would be more impressive than completing 4x12 though so it’s a difficult one 

 

Paul Bassett

Yeah, make 5x9reps easy. 

It does seem the volume works .- you could also play with a heavy day with high reps and some rest periods rather than stretch.  Traditional strength style. 

So do one of your sessions 5x9 and the other focusing on high rep sets of say 15 with longer breaks.  Personally I think there's benefit to practicing sets of 15 even if its not strictly following the back to back mobility strength system. 

Get your body used to the task... then compress the rest - start at 1 min rest then remove 5 seconds every week.

 

Leigh Kettle

Brilliant Paul love this idea 

annoyingly with family matters taking over I haven’t been able to train these last couple of weeks with any consistency. Back on it tomorrow so hopefully haven’t lost too much _am going to regress in all elements to re focus again and with the rows go back to the 10 set strategy for couple of weeks rather than regressing 

Aaron Altamura
On 3/23/2018 at 4:28 AM, Leigh Kettle said:

Petra believe me it pains me when I get stuck on 4x9 for so long after some of the strength stuff I used to do 

my elbows feel amazing tho - they never used to - 

leigh 

Just curious, how does this affect your elbow health?

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Aaron Altamura said:

Just curious, how does this affect your elbow health?

high time under tension leads to more specific IGF1 related to connective tissue angiogenesis..in the long terms more blood flow and faster recovery,

PAUL DALY

Fwiw here's my mini progression method. I'm also at 4*9. 

I do:

4*9,3 

4*9, 4

4*9, 5

4*9,6

Then:

10, 3*9

10, 3*9, 3

10, 3*9, 4

Etc. 

Currently I'm at 11,11,10,10,4. 

I won't check easy for 4*9 until I can actually do 4*12. 

Leigh Kettle

I’m On 4 x 12r now  :)

things are looking up 

I’m currently attempting 4 x 12r on my two upper sessions and then I’ve added in a third session where Ill focus on the 6x10r with 15 seconds stretch in between each set

im gonna stick with this for a few weeks and see where I am 

Tom Bussien

Hey @Leigh Kettle , how are things going? I'm also stuck on 5x9 ground rows and 4x12 push ups. Though I only started Foundation One 7 weeks ago, and I've been on 4x12 push up for 4 weeks and 5x9 ground rows for 6 weeks, so I'm not sure if I can call that a plateau. Still I feel like I should be able to progress faster since I'm 21 haha.  

Has anyone heard of the Greasing the Groove technique? Doing multiple sets of 50%-60% of your max rep with at least 15min between sets, as much as you can during the day (as much as practically possible, I doubt it would be practical with rings rows since we don't have a pair of rings hanging around us all day). There is no goal for a number of sets, but it should be at least 6 sets. Doing that 6/7 days a week. I heard from many people it's one of the best way to build muscle endurance. I'm gonna do this technique for push ups since you can do them anywhere. For rows, I feel like mixing things up (elevated/ground/incline rows, high reps/low sets, low reps high sets, doing the reps/sets required + adding other sets) is the way to go.

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Tom Bussien said:

Hey @Leigh Kettle , how are things going? I'm also stuck on 5x9 ground rows and 4x12 push ups. Though I only started Foundation One 7 weeks ago, and I've been on 4x12 push up for 4 weeks and 5x9 ground rows for 6 weeks, so I'm not sure if I can call that a plateau. Still I feel like I should be able to progress faster since I'm 21 haha.  

Has anyone heard of the Greasing the Groove technique? Doing multiple sets of 50%-60% of your max rep with at least 15min between sets, as much as you can during the day (as much as practically possible, I doubt it would be practical with rings rows since we don't have a pair of rings hanging around us all day). There is no goal for a number of sets, but it should be at least 6 sets. Doing that 6/7 days a week. I heard from many people it's one of the best way to build muscle endurance. I'm gonna do this technique for push ups since you can do them anywhere. For rows, I feel like mixing things up (elevated/ground/incline rows, high reps/low sets, low reps high sets, doing the reps/sets required + adding other sets) is the way to go.

For a beginner, the Btgv method is not suitable due to the fact that the SNC overuse and then overuse injuries are the primary possible consequences . once you have already reached a decent level of conditioning you can consider this type of protocol.