This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Erich Lin's workout Log

Started by Erich Lin, April 3, 2010 · 70 Replies · 5,963 Views

Erich Lin

Okay, so I've been in and out of training very inconsistently for the last 1-2 years (I've done about a month or two of the WOD's, maybe a week or two of steady state on and off, and usually take 3 month hiatus from working out...i'm lazy :) ) What I've come to realize is that I need a routine. After scouring the forums, and the WOD's, I've come up with this. Let me know your thoughts.

Determine max handstand hold time and divide by two. Let this be x.

Day 1-3

Handstand (stomach to wall) for x seconds

rest 2 min

8 rounds of PL, FL, BL (rest 30 seconds in between each, rest 90 seconds in between rounds)

rest 2 min

5 sets of a plane of push (rest 2 min in between)

rest 5 min

5 sets of a plane of pull (rest 2 min in between)

2 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 bridge wall walks

Day 4 (I like to let my mind roam free on this day)

mess around: SLS, archups, MU's, multiplane, mess around, sprints,etc...., or maybe nothing at all

60 seconds straddle L

2x30 weighted pike stretch

3x10 hip extensions

2x60 seconds of Seated Toe Point Stretch.

Programming/progression

Every month, add 30 seconds to handstand

Every workout, try to add 1 second to FSPs, but never have 1 round be more than 1 second away (ex: 6 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 would be *illegal*...instead I would have 5 5 4 4 4 4 4 4)

Every workout, try to add 1 rep to FBE's, but never have 1 set be more than 1 rep away (ex: 4 2 2 2 2 would be *illegal*...instead I would have 3 3 2 2 2)

Move up an FSP when I have 8x15 for the FSP, and I feel comfortable enough to do at least 4 seconds of the next FSP

Move up an FBE when I have 5x5 for FBE, and I feel comfortable enough to do at least 2-3 reps of next FBE

Backoff period

Every 4 weeks, reduce intensity by half for one week

I anticipate a 1.5 hour workout. I would say I am a lazy beginner. I can perform a pretty slow muscleup with no kip, close to a straddle bl, and surprisingly straddle fl (i find that strange since bl is supposed to be way easier, but for some reason my bl is relatively weak). still have balancing issues with pl, and cannot do a handstand for more than like 3 seconds. I have horrible, just horrible shoulder flexiblity (really hurts my handstands). I also have horrible hamstring flexiblity (really hurts l-sits, pikes, and any sort of press handstand work). I think the stretches that I have included should be good enough at least for the beginning. Let me know of any criticism.

Erich Lin

4/3/2010

HS: 25 seconds max

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7

FL (Flat tuck): 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7

BL (flat tuck): 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7

XR Bulgarian Pushups: 5 5 3 2.5 1.5

FL Row Tuck: 5 5 5 3.5 2

2 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks

I was only able to hold a handstand for 25 seconds max using stomach to wall, and feet pointed. I had a shoulder width grip (3-4 inches apart), and maybe like 3 inches from the wall. It's pretty pathetic :( Now that I've determined my max, my next workout will be performing 13 seconds of HS.

FSP's were relatively simple, so I will add 1 second to all 8 rounds next time.

My endurance is pretty weak as evidenced by my FBE's. I blame it on the fact that I have not worked out in over 2 months. Also, I noticed that my body tries to naturally cheat with the rows. It tries to raise the hips so that my shins can touch the bar quicker (ie less range of motion). Fortunately, I had a mirror. I watched every single millisecond to make sure my hips stayed in line. This made the rows significantly harder, especially towards the latter half of the sets (poor endurance).

Wall extensions were impossible, but I gave it my best shot. I can't even have my forearms touching the wall in neutral position.

Overall, 1.5 hour workout. I kept a website open to keep track of time.

Edit 1: Added the FSP progressions I used

Erich Lin

So I did not workout today. I was ridiculously sore!! And it's the second rest day....guess that's why you don't take monthly hiatuses :P

I did take some measurements:

5'6"

130.4 lbs

4.9% body fat (according to calipers)

Razz

Good to see another log. Your bf is definately higher than 4.9%

Erich Lin

Thank you Razz! I will try to keep this as up to date as possible with all my progress :) I always seem to fall off the bandwagon, so hopefully this keeps me accountable :)

Hehe .. it actually is 4.9%. I know there are lots of hard gainers in terms of body weight, but to put it into perspective, I used to be 5'5" 85 lbs... :P

I honestly have no flab of skin. When they measured me at work with the impedance machine that you hold on with two hands, it didn't register my body fat two years in a row (I was the first they ever had that with)....the result was E9...they had to look it up, and apparently that means the body fat is under 5%. Granted those impedance measurements have quite a high variance, but using my calipers, it comes to 4.9%. I have measured my friends who have also had their body fat taken with impedance measurements, and the result is drastically similar. So I'm pretty sure I'm 4.9%. I do have an 8 pack :)

FYI...this was not meant to brag...:)

P.S. I am buying a new caliper that is a spring system , which should be even more accurate...but given the fact that I have measured myself with both impedance, calipers and measured my friends, I'm pretty sure I'm under 5%.

P.P.S. I once went for 3 months of eating like 50 double cheeseburgers from McDonald's every single week. That's 600 double cheeseburgers probably, and barely gained a pound....it's probably the most sick metabolism ever...if I eat normal or don't work out, I will lose weight. It 's kind of a curse because I have to buy so much food to maintain my body mass of 130 lbs... :(

Razz

4.9% means you have no water retention under your skin at all.. go look at the best prof bodybuilders you can find at the time of competition they are not even 4.9%... anyhow that doesn't really matter :P sounds like you are really low bf! Oh and for the metabolism if you actually have a high metabolism you need medicine and if not you are probably not eating as many cal as you need.. i mean i have so many friends that eat several big macs and really unhealthy but still don't gain weight and it's because they barely eat anything besides that.. it is hard to gain weight for many people because the amount of cal needed is quite high compared to what you normally eat.

Erich Lin

well, the new calipers might illuminate a different reality, but given impedance measurements from professionals dozens of times, as well as my own caliper measurements, 4.9% seems to be the case :P

i've actually measured my calories to the teeth. I am a super meticulous person...and it was at 3500 calories . Now I'm at 2700.

Hehhe...every year my doctor shows me my blood results compared to the normal, really healthy and super healthy. Some how, all my blood work , shows me exceeding the super healthy (some were not measureable..ie off the charts) ...so I think in terms of health, I'm okay. Nevertheless, 2 months ago, I switched to a paleolithic diet with a focus on balancing my O3-O6 ratio and eating a ton of saturated fat , particularly butter, lard, nuts (starting to eat less of this cause of high O6 from poly), etc. I just don't want to get cancer or any mutations (this isn't for losing weight etc). :)

I think my body has found its stabilization point. I' went from 85 lbs to 130lbs , and have plateaued. I can't eat any more than I can right now because my stomach simply can't ingest anymore or I'll throw up :) Also , looking at gymnast profiles, for my height , <140 lbs is the standard. And looking at my body compared to theirs, I would say it is quite similar.

My highest weight was 136, and that is obtained when I am working out. I'm 130.4 right now...I haven't worked out in probably 2 months :)

Erich Lin

Grrr... this is day 3 of rest, and my chest is still ridiculously sore!! I've been doing about 10 reps of shoulder dislocate on my rest days...should i not? Is this what is keeping me sore? It could be that I just have not worked out in a while.... this is lame... it's not an injury...it just feels like DOMS

Amebix138
erichlin said:
Grrr... this is day 3 of rest, and my chest is still ridiculously sore!! I've been doing about 10 reps of shoulder dislocate on my rest days...should i not? Is this what is keeping me sore? It could be that I just have not worked out in a while.... this is lame... it's not an injury...it just feels like DOMS

You should definetely do some light active recovery if your that sore, like some push ups, ring rows, sit ups and back extensions and squats. Just to get the blood flowing really.

Erich Lin

Thanks Amebix. I'll try some pushups to get the blood flowing tonight. I'll skip on working out again

It's still pretty sore, but less sore than yesterday I think.... I hope to be back in the game by tomorrow for my second workout . I'm thinking of doing even more than 8x8 on the FSP's. They were really easy last time, so maybe i'll shoot for the moon. I'll try 8x10.

Erich Lin

4/7/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

FL (Flat tuck): 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

BL (flat tuck): 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

Dips-XR: 3 2 2 2 2

Chin-ups - Inverted: 5 4 4 4 4

2 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks

This workout started pushing me to my limits. Even though I only jotted down 8 sets for PL, I must have done over 13-15 because whenever I lost balance, I would redo the set until I get a perfect 10 seconds. I began to lose form (really really slightly) with FL. BL started becoming tough.

For the Dips-XR, I am probably doing a cross between bulgarian and the normal dip. I'm trying to follow the book where it says to keep the arms away from the lats, so I'm going out pretty far, and when I return to neutral, I'm like 1/4 - 1/2 in an iron cross with the inside of my elbows facing forward. It might be harder than the Dips-XR the book is stating, but I love it , so I'll keep to it.

For the chin-ups inverted, I am unsure if I am doing it right so I uploaded videos of that. Please critique if you get a chance. Should I be going higher, should my wrists move out from my hips? Right now my elbows are moving away from my body outwards and my hands are moving up the side of my body , but staying in the same vertical plane

Front

MN0lDXbfdlo

Side

GcsrRMdh95U

Total workout time was 1.5 hours. About 1 hour and 10 minutes for working out, and 20 minutes for the prehab stuff at the end.

Erich Lin

4/10/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11

FL (Flat tuck): 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11

BL (flat tuck): 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11

HeSPU: 4 3 3 2 2

Pullups - Wide grip behind: 3 3 3 2 2

2 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks

Man Planche is annoying. I keep falling over and have to recount the entire set. I performed my HeSPU with shoulder width grip (which is substantially harder as the book mentioned). Also, my endurance is weak. For the wide grip behind, there was a big difference from the top of the neck and the base of the neck. I did the base of the neck as the book mentions. Also , I did double shoulder width...felt a crazy stretch

Joshua Naterman

If you're not used to it, double shoulder may be too much. I doubt it, honestly, but if you feel a super dooper stretch, you might want to start at a 1.5x shoulder grip and move an inch per workout towards the full 2x shoulder width just to be safe.

Erich Lin

Thanks slizzardman. It wasn't too bad of a stretch, but I'll be on the lookout next time.

4/11/2010 (mess around day)

3x5 SLS (5 reps each leg alternating) with 25lb bar or maybe it was 35lb...not sure

3x .5 seconds BL straddle

3x3 seconds FL straddle

1x3 MU

3x5 Natural Leg curls

2x3 RLL-headstand

30 reps of HS wall runs

Straddle L - PB low 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8

2x60 seated toe point stretch

2x30 weighted pike stretch

3x10 hip extensions (straight, side, around , 1 set each)

Why is FL way easier for me than BL? From scouring the site, it seems BL should be easier.... I can hold a straddle FL for 3 seconds, but a straddle BL for only .5 seconds. Am I weak in some small muscles that BL requires?

Okay for straddle L I start rounding my back if I lift my legs too high up. I, thinking that this is bad, therefore didn't lift my legs as high. I believe my round back is compensating for my lack of flexibility in a pike stretch. This happened when I do L-sit as well, but it has gotten better because of stretching. I understand that one should lean forward in a straddle-L, but should one be rounding their back?

Lastly, hip extensions are brutal...

Erich Lin

5/8/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

FL (Flat tuck): 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

BL (flat tuck): 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

XR Bulgarian Pushups: 3 3 3 2.5 2.5

FL Row Tuck: 3 3 3 2.5 1.5

2 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks

Yep, it's been over a month since my last workout....I was sick , and then there were other excuses...but I'm back.... Man workouts are tough when you don't workout for a while :(

Also, i'm going to start taking creatine...so this is Day 1. I'll do 8 weeks on, and 6 weeks off with 5 grams a day when i'm on.

Erich Lin

5/12/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11

FL (Flat tuck):11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11

BL (flat tuck): 11 11 11 1111 11 11 11

Dips-XR: 3 2 2 2 2

Chin-ups - Inverted: 5 4 4 4 4

2 rounds of

10 foam roller thorasic extension

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks (keeping knees straight and elbows straight with shoulders over ears the entire time - much harder than free style bridge wall walks that i was doing before)

Erich Lin

Forgot to post my 5/15 workout

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12

FL (Flat tuck): 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12

BL (flat tuck): 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12

HeSPU: 2 2 3 2 2

Pullups - Wide grip behind: 3 3 3 4 3

Erich Lin

5/19/2010 (mess around day)

3x5 SLS (5 reps each leg alternating) with 15lb bar

BL straddle 3 5.5 6.5

FL straddle 3 3 3

1x3 MU

3x5 Natural Leg curls

2x3 RLL-headstand

30 reps of HS wall runs

Straddle L - PB low 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8

2x60 seated toe point stretch

2x30 weighted pike stretch

3x10 hip extensions (straight, side, around , 1 set each)

Whoa my bl straddle time improved a ton!! and my fl straddle time is staying steady.... I wonder why.... I didn't workout for a month...strange...

Erich Lin

5/23/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13

FL (Flat tuck): 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13

BL (flat tuck): 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13

XR Bulgarian Pushups: 3 3 3 3 3

FL Row Tuck: 3 3 3 3 3

2 rounds of

10 thorasic extension foam roller

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks

Erich Lin

5/26/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

FL (Flat tuck):14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

BL (flat tuck): 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

Dips-XR: 3 3 3 3 3

Chin-ups - Inverted: 5 4 4

Erich Lin

5/29/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

FL (Flat tuck): 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

BL (flat tuck): 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

HeSPU: 3 3 1 3 2

Pullups - Wide grip behind: 5 3 4 3 3

1 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

3 Bridge wall walks

Erich Lin

Yep it has been a month since my last workout...I seem to always do this.... anyway my excuse is that I got sick and then did not feel as motivated to get back into it. Just worked out today:

6/22/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 10 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

FL (Flat tuck): 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

BL (flat tuck): 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

XR Bulgarian Pushups: 4 3 3 3 3

FL Row Tuck: 4 4 3 3 3

2 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks

Erich Lin

6/27/2010

HS 13 secs

PL 13 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

FL 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

BL 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

Erich Lin

7/7/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 15 15 15 15 15 15 11 15

FL (Flat tuck): 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

BL (flat tuck): 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

Dips-XR: 4 3 3 3 3

Chin-ups - Inverted: 5 4 4 4 4

1 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks

Erich Lin

7/19/2010

HS: 13 seconds

PL (Advanced Frog stand): 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

FL (Flat tuck): 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

BL (flat tuck): 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

HeSPU: 3 3 2 1 1

Pullups - Wide grip behind: 4 4 4 3 3

1 rounds of

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks