This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Erich Lin's workout Log

Started by Erich Lin, April 3, 2010 · 70 Replies · 5,963 Views

Erich Lin

10/6/2010

So today I felt like testing what my maxes are after 2 months (9 static workouts, 2 mess around days -> 11 total workouts). I'll post it in the form of x->y. X is from 8/6/2010. Y is today 10/6/2010

HS 27->47

PL(Advanced Frog stand) 25->60

FL (Flat tuck) 25->40

BL (Flat tuck) 31->47

LS FX 18->33

SL (PB-bent) 30->49

Advanced frog stand was done with perfect form, elbows locked. Front lever didn't improve as much as I wanted it to, but I blame it on the fact that I am now retracting my shoulders which makes it a bit harder. I'm quite disappointed on the back lever. I thought I would be able to hold 60seconds since about 3 weeks ago I held a 12 second straddle and 5 second full lay, but I will continue to work on the BL flat tuck until I hit 60 second max. So hopefully 2 months from now, I will hit that 60 s. I'm quite impressed with this since I only did about 9 static workouts in 2 months and all my times have close to doubled. My friend who is a beginner had his times tripled! We are on the same workout plan :) I'll be taking half these times. For planche, i'll move on to tuck planche. I've been timing myself randomly off and on and I seem to be maxing at 30 seconds ish for tuck planche and 5 seconds for advanced tuck planche (although i kind of go much farther out than the book does). I'll test my tuck planche max tomorrow and post that. I'll take half that time.

HeSPU (stomach to wall, chin to floor) 4 4 4 4 4

Pullups - Wide grip (2-3 x width) (tuck L) 5 5 5 5 5

30 s german hang

30 s reverse planche (feet on ground)

10 wall extensions

10 wrist pushups

5 Bridge wall walks

I added the german hang and reverse planche to really up that shoulder flexibility.

Also a video of my advanced tuck planche just for kicks and giggles. I am pretty worn out in this video as I had already done my workout but I really wanted to see where I was at:

DgHT1zX8UoA

Erich Lin

Went to a gymnastics gym today and played around. Also did some quick ring routines. This was one of them:

_98oPPIFlFw

It's pretty sloppy, but this is like one of my first ring routines ever. They are fun!

Erich Lin

10/11

SLS (5 reps each leg alternating) with 35 lb bar front Racked 5 5

RLL-headstand 4 4 4

Lsit - hang to L 5(5 lbs) 5(5lbs) 5(5lbs)

Natural Leg curls 5 5 5

Windshield wipers (half) 3 sets of 2 repsx2

2x30 weighted pike stretch

10 hip extensions straight

10 hip extensions side

5 hip extensions round

Erich Lin

10/14

Didn't really have time to do a real workout today so did a quick 1 hour workout including dynamic stretches, workout, and cooldown stretches.

3 min HS total time (about 25-40 second sets) Took a video, and shoulder angle is still far from open

Advanced frog planche 30 s

L sit 27, 17 15

Planche lean (fingers back) 30, 30

Reverse Planche 30, 30

Stretches

Pike (1 min 30 s)

Hip flexors (1 min 30 s)

Butterfly (1 min 30 s)

Bridge with feet on elevated surface and pushing forward on chest (2 x 30s)

Wall extensions 5 reps

Erich Lin

10/16

Went to the gymnastics gym today.

Warmed up with:

HS 23 23 14

PL Adv Frog 60s Hands forward

PL lean Hands backwards 2 x 30s

FL 20 20 20

BL 20 20 20

Lsit 16 16 15 13

SL Pb bent 20 20 20

Fooled around the rest of the time.

2x30 s shoulder stand on pbars

attempeted shoulder stand on rings

1 muscle up

1 negative from shoulder stand slowly to inverted hang

some tumbling practice

some maltese practice lying with back on floor holding weights

2x30 s german hang

60 s reverse planche

came home and did some stretches

Erich Lin

2/9/11

Wow it's been a while since i've posted. I've been working out off and on. Mostly off. Took some max hold times today , but I feel they are not indicative of my real hold times since I was quite tired and decided to work out at midnight. I'll redo these hold times sometime on Monday, but i'll post them anyway -

The numbers before the -> is my 10/16 number and the numbers after the arrow are today's:

HS 47 -> 29

PL(Advanced Frog stand HF) 60 ->DNA

PL (Advanced Frog stand HB) -> still can't hold for long

FL (Flat tuck) 40 (non retracted shoulder blades) -> 34 (retracted shoulder blades)

BL (Flat tuck) 47 -> 31

LS FX 33 (using fingers) -> (using hands flat) -> 30

SL (PB-bent) 49 (HF) -> 24 (HB - didn't try again after losing balance)

Did some OAC practice, also I think i got a straddle front lever pullup, but didn't bother to film. Some quick handstand pushups, HB by hips pushups, and bridge wall walks summed up the rest.

It was mainly a day to see where I am at, but I will retest my max again in a few days when I am more in it :)

An interesting note is that I have noticed that my front lever is now at half lay (past straddle). Of course, i'll keep working the flat tuck, but i find this interesting. I have barely practiced straddle or half lay , so presumably from this, one can work the lower progressions feeling safe that their higher progression will improve. Same with my full lay back lever. I can hold this for well over 8 seconds, and I am still training flat tuck. Just some food for thought :)

Erich Lin

So I went to the gym today and did a 2 second full lay front lever! With barely working out these past few months, I attribute it to my focus on Lsits, which I worked on more so whenever I had free time. I did them with hands flat on ground. Before I was doing them with fingers to compensate for what I now realize was a lack of pushing power from my hands to shoulders. Anyway, hope that makes it to others who are having trouble with front levers -> GET THE LSIT DOWN WITH HANDS FLAT ON THE FLOOR. Right now I'm at a solid 34 seconds paying careful attention to flat back , knees locked, elbows locked, and pushing hard on floor to keep my legs up and toes pointed.

Erich Lin

11 seconds full lay front lever. i'll post a video soon! woottt.. THIS IS AMAZING PROGRESS, AND I'M LOVIN' IT!

Erich Lin

Wow, every day i'm seeing some incredible gains in strength. I haven't had a routine for a while. Mostly it's been, FSP warmup , fool around on rings, practice skills, etc...

Goals achieved:

Lsit

Back Lever (10+ seconds)

Front Lever (10+ seconds)

Erich Lin

P-b-Fei_c10

Erich Lin

Edited and deleted this post of a routine as I never actually followed the routine.

Erich Lin

I'm going to start updating this again. Since I've last posted , I've been to two seminars and have definitely learned a lot. I have been quite inconsistent in working out, so this will motivate me to workout more consistently.

Today's workout was:

Jump rope forwards + backwards

Arm swings

Floor shoulder series

FSP (Manna, Straddle L, PL lean, Lsit) x 2 rounds

Naners 1x5 (should add weight next time)

Chest Rolls HeSPU 1x5 (technique is faulty, so going to dial down to HeS -> Seal , just the negative to get the form next time)

Top pulls 1x5 (should add weight next time)

Dip -planche (tuck) 1x5

Front Lever pulls - circle 1x6 (full lay x2, straddle x 2, flat tuck x2)

Lsit lifts 1x5 (couldn't get very high because of flexibility, which has improved a lot since I last posted)

OAC Lockoffs 3 sets of 5 seconds each arm

Pike, straddle, shoulder flex/ext stretches

Erich Lin

Forgot to record my 10/11 workout , but basically explored a few different movements to see what I can/can't do, what the limitations of my current gym are, etc... Spent about 2 hours, my usual workout time.

Today (10/12) I did:

Jump rope backwards and forwards

Arm swings

Wrist series

Dynamic/Bridge work for shoulders from seminar

Scap series from seminar

Weighted shoulder series from seminar

Single bar shoulder series from seminar

Shoulder flex/ext stretch + Pike+ straddle stretches (all weighted)

Erich Lin

Some more exploring today:

Practiced a ton of Chest Roll - HeS to get the technique down. Did about an hour or two hours of this in two different sessions. I think I finally got the technique down. The trick for me was to learn to wait to press until my chest has touched the floor hard, and then when dropping back down, let the chest hit the ground first and hard before the other parts of your body land. I was able to successfully push up to Handstand as well with this, but I'm not going to add that into my routine until later. I want to do 25 or more of this every workout just so I get the technique down. Another trick I did was to add a padding under my pelvis to limit the shock pain because of bad form (having the groin hit before the chest). I must've taken like 1 hour of video footage to figure all this out and I watched the BtGB video of the Chest Roll - HeS like 100 times. Also watched tsoonami's video and read a lot on the forum about it. Really happy with this accomplishment, I thought I would never get this.

Rest of the workout was:

Pelicans with straight arm with knees

Reverse crank (full back lay to full back pull)

Front Lever Pull->Bulg Dip (straddle FL to bulgarian dip)

bent arm Pelicans (bottom portion only for bicep conditioning) with knees

RLL straddle with ankle weight (2.5 lbs each leg)

Lsit lift (to the best of my ability)

RLL- wall straddle HS (hands were far from wall.... poor flexibility)

dillon shoulder series + invert press with bands in front of me and my head pointing to the attach point

3 sets of One arm lockoffs for 5 seconds each arm

3 sets of pike/straddle/shoulder flex/shoulder ext weighted

Another giant accomplishment today was my flexibility. I can now palm my entire hand on the ground and place my head on my knees (not chest on my knees mind you :( ). Coming from just being able to get my hands only to my mid-shin a few months back, this is HUGE.

Straddle flexibility has also improved a ton. I get now bend way past 90 when sitting. Before I couldn't even get to 90.

All in all, a great day!

John Sapinoso

excellent, let's see the vid!

Erich Lin

i'll try my best tsunami :) seems so hard to make/edit a video. yours are very well done :)

Erich Lin

Today's workout was:

Warmup

Jump ropes

Arm swings

Floor shoulder series

2 rounds of FSPs @ some amount of time that i feel 50% exertion (Manna, Straddle L, PL Lean, Lsit)

Workout

Cross Dips (x5)

Crescent PU on knees (x5)

Front Crank (x5) full x1, straddle x 3, flat tuck x 1

Backwards Roll (x3) tight tuck at an extremely slow rotation (no kip)

HSPU all the way down to the max that my arms can go down, maybe about 3 feet elevated

Lsit lifts

HLL in straddle

Prehab

Jeff's band series from seminar

Dillon's Elbow prep

5 bridge pushups

Stretching

2 rounds of Bridge, GH, Weighted Pike Stretch, Weighted Pancakes Stretch

Flexiblity is improving, and strength is improving.

Erich Lin

Today (10/21) I did:

Jump rope backwards and forwards

Arm swings

Wrist series

Dynamic/Bridge work for shoulders from seminar

Scap series from seminar

Weighted shoulder series from seminar

Single bar shoulder series from seminar

5 Bridge pushups

2 rounds of bridge hold/GH hold + Pike(weighted)/ straddle stretches ( weighted)

Flexibility is improving tons! I have moved in about 3 inches for dislos and inlos on each side in a matter of 1-2 weeks. Straddle and pike flexibility continue to improve. Some strange pain sensations in shoulders are disappearing with all this prehab. Didn't do much strength work today, but from previous workouts, they are also steadily improving. I'm loving my new routine

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

nice job on flexibility stuff!

erichlin

Been a while since I updated this, but this is exciting to share :)

 

I have not done LSits for nearly a year, and the last time I tried these, I was able to do 3 steps.  I guess my active flexibility improvement helped a lot with this!

 

erichlin

Elevator (Inverted Muscle up )I have never worked on these before nor specifically trained for it.  I won't be working much strength in the next few months to focus on mobility, so this likely won't progress, but posting this for future reference :)