L-sit progressions

Started by Gavin Strelitz, April 1, 2010 · 7 Replies · 3,985 Views

Gavin Strelitz

Hi all,

I can hold an L-sit for 30s at the moment and I had a couple of questions about how I'm going to progress this:

1. How long a max hold do I need before I think about progressing it?

2. Is the next move to v-sit or straddle L or to maybe start the manna?

I train using the Steady State Cycle, with three training sessions per week.

Thanks

braindx

Work on straddle-L concurrently, and start to middle split hold for manna when you can.

Samuel Carr

I always thought that once u had a solid l-sit (like 30 seconds), u keep moving your legs up closer to a v until you're holding v-sits? And also is the manna middle split hold more beneficial than l-sits for core strength?

irongymnast

I can also do an L-sit for more than 30 seconds but there's no way I can go to a V-sit. Once I try to lift my feet higher, I'm falling backwards. Am I lacking flexibility or power? Or both?

Gavin Strelitz

Thanks braindx, that is probably the way I'll go. I am doing l-sit lifts as part of my training too and this will help with v-sit. I've read that developing/training manna is good for overall work.

Irongymnast- take this for what it's worth as I'm only three months into BtGB training but my understanding with v-sit is that you need to push down more with your arms and concentrate on pushing your hips forward. That way you'll keep stable. Also, try them in a tuck first and develop a v-tuck sit. Then try and extend the legs.

Blairbob

The GymnasticBodies manna progression incorporates training for the V-sit. V-sit is accomplished mainly by pushing the hips forward and active pike flexibility.

irongymnast

Does "pushing hips forward" require arm strength or body flexibility?

braindx
irongymnast said:
Does "pushing hips forward" require arm strength or body flexibility?

Triceps, posterior shoulder, scap retractors + good active shoulder and core flexibility.