Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Playing with planche strength

Guest Ido Portal

Thanks Ido, for sharing this truly insprational video with us. His wrists must be made out of flexible steel!

Guest Ido Portal

Amazing skills and the one arm thing, bent elbow or not, is one of the most impressive displays of strength and control I have seen in years. He is facing down, the body is straight and.... he presses out of there. Come on, that is really something, if any of you have tried such a thing, you should realize that.

My problem with the field is that there may be amazingly talented people there, but I have yet to meet someone with an approach or method to the madness. I do not say there isnt one, but for sure, if there is, he is rare and unique in a field of amateurs. Some crazy talented amateurs, but still.. amateurs.

Too bad, because I am sure many people with less natural talent will be able to display equally amazing things with some quality instruction.

Ido.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA!!! Wow! I don't know about anything else, but I want to be able to swim in a straddle planche.

That one arm thing was amazing! He was definitely unsupported, that was just hard to believe strength and skill!

Too disgusting man, the one arm was insane man, how is that possible? The rest of the clip was crazy as well, the balance arrrrrrrrr

Mikael Kristiansen

That is just fantastic. His form is great, and it looks impossible, ends by pressing it out too!

I believe, however, that that guy has atrophied legs or something, because I have seen other clips of him where his legs look strange. It is still incredible though.

I am training to do a "1 arm planche" at the moment, but I usually do it from a 1 arm flag position which I then twist and lean forward. If I keep a 3-4 kg weight in the other hand I can get it pretty close with legs open. It is very very hard, but seems possible with enough training. Maxim Ivanov, a russian handbalancer is doing that technique pretty good, and then drops it to 1 arm lever well at 2.40:

LoIY_YVox6c

Doesnt look as crazy as that bboy, but still.

I know a number of handbalancers have done this balance with legs together. There are some pictures on the net of Paulinetti and another guy doing it:

http://www.beastskills.com/AF2007.htm (down the page a little)

http://www128.pair.com/r3d4k7/Chinups.html

I have seen some debate wether or not it should be called a 1 arm planche, but with a close look at the pictures, you can see that if they theoretically twisted back and put the hand down they would be in a planche, so I would say that it is as close as you would get to a 1 arm planche, even though the dynamics are different. The arch and twist in the back is to be able to keep the centre of gravity above the hand with legs together, similar to the twist in a 1 arm back lever. Oleg Izossimov, a famous russian handbalancer also told me that several did it before, but that few are training it nowadays. He also told me about a russian who several years ago used to press out from 1 arm elbow lever without tempo, not twisting it to the side like the chinese kids.

I was/is a bboy, even though I train in circus school, and I as for amateurs training I by the level of performance they are able to achieve. They dont have the same structure of training as a lot of professionals(and thus can have a higher chance of injury) but still they are able to develop techniques from an empiric approach.

• 2 weeks later...
Scott Caron

And since no one has posted it yet, Ivan is indeed a circus artist. Not only does he paddle his planche but he has the most unique display of integrating hand and aerial work I have yet seen:

I couldn;t figure out how to imbed the video...the youtube bracket function in the posting box didn't seem to work with the URL...oh well...

bGNosmeb3-Y

• 2 months later...
Ryan Hutchins

I'm gonna start reading every last message Coach sends us from now on. He isn't here physically to push us but he keeps us going by pushing us mentally and giving us every digital training tool imaginable. For me its as simple as someone else can do something that you can't Ryan. So what you gonna do now? This guy is amazing indeed. However this inspires me to work on all areas of my static and dynamic strength training. Thx Coach!

And since no one has posted it yet, Ivan is indeed a circus artist. Not only does he paddle his planche but he has the most unique display of integrating hand and aerial work I have yet seen:

I couldn;t figure out how to imbed the video...the youtube bracket function in the posting box didn't seem to work with the URL...oh well...

He's going to put Coach out of business, doesn't need rings!

To embed just take the part of the url after the equal sign the actual refernce code.