Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Importance of Supplementation for Athletes

Joshua Naterman

DAMN this stuff is expensive! 1-200 $ for a few months of VITAMIN supplementation is easily spend :shock: I should definately try and get a job over summer............ Besides that sure thing supplementation helps A LOT! I have about 5 things on my list so far and I'm improving like crazy..

I can go for 100€ or more per month :wink: You are crying (joke) about 200 for few months :lol:

Yes it's worth of every nickle spend if chosen correctly.

Joshua Naterman

Question for Ido, or anyone else who actually knows:

I have been researching various forms of zinc and magnesium. Would you recommend the glycinate over zinc momomethionine aspartate, rate them equally, or recommend ZMA over the glycinate? Should there be a mix, with a goal of a certain amount of elemental zinc?

I have a similar question about the magnesium chelates: I've seen a magnesium lysine/glycine chelate mix, magnesium aspartate, and magnesium glycinate. Should there be a mix of these, is one better than the others, or does it matter as long as it is a true chelate?

I know that aspartic acid is really important in the body, and that supplementing with it helps from what I have read. I don't know if that influences your personal choices in this regard, but I am looking forward to your input! Thanks in advance for answering when you have the time.

For those interested (non US people I'm guessing) it seems as though Johnny Bowden's website has free shipping and that is a HUGEEEE help considering 50% of what I normally pay is shipping when buying in US. Think I may have to buy stuff before i leave Qatar so i wont have to pay import taxes in Denmark.

• 1 month later...

Good article. Think I should be taking a lot more fish oil. Was taking about a gram a day. Obviously nowhere near enough. :oops:

I'm also using a supermarket brand which seems to have next to no active ingredients in. Luckily I've found a UK brand which claims to be all natural high quality EPA/DHA from bottom of the food chain fish. Isn't too expensive when I work out how much I'd have to take of the supermarket brand to get the same amount of active ingredients, about double. But that's only 12 pounds for a months worth, think I can live with that. Here's the link if anyone's from the UK:

http://www.nutriglow.com/product.php?xProd=90882

Don't know what Ido would think of it but it's the best liquid fish oil I could find from the UK.

Scotty Hagnas

Hi Slizzardman-

Supplementing with different forms of Mg and Zn chelates is best, as the different forms go preferentially to different tissues. One of the difficulties many have with restoring magnesium levels is that they try to use just one form. I never recommend plain ZMA products for this reason.

The ideal plan is to have a RBC magnesium test done (not a serum test) to know where you are at. Based on this, you can work to restore your Mg levels.

Magnesium Glycinate is excellent, probably the single best form for restoring Mg levels, plus it will help with Phase1 liver detox processes. It is particularly useful post workout or before bed.

Scotty Hagnas

Portland, OR

Thankyou, Scotty a lot!

I had been thinking about starting to take Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc seperately. Especially the latter 2 as it has been noted that milk has a disproportionate amount of Calcium to Magnesium. Didn't really have a clue about what kind of Magnesium would be good.

• 4 weeks later...
John Sapinoso

Where does everyone get their multivitamins from?

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.