Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thrive + medical issues?

Lucy Criddle

Hello - I've been deliberating about Thrive, but am not sure if it's compatible with medical issues (celiac, thyroid - hashimotos and highly suspected gut yeast overgrowth) which means that there is a lot that I need to cut out (grains, dairy, inflammatory foods, sugars etc). Already I've adapted my lifestyle beyond recognition of what it was like before, but the focus on habit creation as well as linking nutrition needs to GST in particular is what appeals. Like most people, I'd like to shift some excess kgs (~12), but am also aware that sleep and rest plays a huge role in this too ... (and compensating with coffee makes things worse, as amazing as the stuff is .. ahem).

Without knowing the course content, I'm just going to note where I'm at, and where - to my knowledge - the gaps are.

Currently: barely drink alcohol - max 5-6 servings of clear spirits per month; do meal prep each week - ~ 60% (quantity, not calories) vegetables, 10% fruit, remainder as meat or fish; always striving to cut out coffee, but max 2 servings in a day (pref espresso with coconut + MCT oil mix, or a guilty cappuccino), never after 2pm, otherwise herbal tea or water; not totally carb-free, will add beetroot, sweet potato or pumpkin type of veggies, occasionally potatoes or rice e.g., if eating out; main meals are breakfast and lunch, with lighter dinner; workout in evenings except weekends; make my own bone broth, organ meat recipes and am not hung up on conventional eating habits, such as sugary breakfasts.

Challenges: lingering bad habits - e.g., temptations at the supermarket, especially on way home from gym, finishing everything on plate even if full, etc.; eating out / social occasions (how does Thrive even deal with this?) being confident with the right fuel mix / quantities to balance working out and fat loss. My metabolism is super rubbish and I can easily do IF without feeling hungry, for example .. unless I'm tired then I do feel hungrier and have noticeably stronger carb cravings. 

Would welcome your thoughts! Even if it's to say that I just need to sleep more! haha (I get about 7.5hrs / night FYI)

Edited by Lucy Criddle
got kg vs, lbs wrong way round!
  • Like 1

Thrive is a behaviour based diet and for sure you will get more organized and a lot more systematic about your meal prep. As you were describing your lifestyle and the foods you can't have and you don't want, I think that Thrive is super suitable for you. You'll get the most optimal food and you will cut out as many antinutrients as possible (also present in grains and so on). 

100% recommended

• Like 2

Everett Carroll

Hey Lucy,

Oscar said it well: you'll do fantastic with Thrive and likely feel relieved by the added structure to your diet. The only thing I'd like to add to his response is that if you're ever in doubt of how a certain task/suggestion in the course might affect your medical conditions, you should consult a registered dietician. Feel free to ask on here, as Jeff is incredibly knowledgeable, but to be safe, consult a professional. I don't foresee you having any problems based on your post; that is more of a general suggestion. Enjoy the course!

• Like 1

ok chaps, I've bitten the bullet and signed up to Thrive. You'd better warn Kate Moss (or whoever is in fashion nowadays, I have no idea). 

@Everett Carroll good point about the dietician. Because of just relocating to a new country .. and new health insurance provider, I need to wait about 2.5  more months until I can see someone. But I have a fairly good idea of the basics (like, don't stuff my face with bread at 10pm) and have discovered through trial and error what doesn't work. The pros of having proper reactions to certain things is that pavlovian conditioning plays a helpful role! The rest won't kill me, but doing it right will just make me better :-)

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.