Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Split training - nothing works

Bartosz Jackiewicz

Bartosz Jackiewicz

Hello to everybody! I'm new to this forum but I see very interesting content here and experienced people so hopefully I will find here some good solutions to my problem.

Probably many can relate to my situation which is I am not flexible and nothing has worked on me so far. I am thinking about buying one of the stretch courses (middle split is first on my list) but it's quite expensive for me so I want to be sure this will be good spent money. To be honest, I'm slowly losing hope to improve my flexibility.

To give you guys an idea of what I have tried let me describe shortly previous programmes. Maybe you can advise me if you tried something similar and stretch series changed it all leading you to your dreamed splits. 

When I was 15-16, I stretched 3 times a week. It was exausting training lasting about 1,5h. It consisted of warm-up, isometric stretching (trying to get as far as possible to side split, contraction, then release, go further) and static stretching as well. At the end I could achieve full range of motion that I had that time. I tried 3 months of training like that. There were no effects. 

So I tried different one: stretching once per day, about 30-45 min, not so demanding, mostly static stretches. After one month still no effects.

I know now that not every excercise I did was perfectly done, but not even smallest progress? Come on!

Now I'm older and decided to give it a try one more time! I stretch 3 times a day, each session about 30min. First 10 min is foam rolling then I do four excersises with 1min hold each: one for adductors, hamstring, glutes and quads/illiopsoas. During training day I change one session (in the middle of the day) and I add excersises with movement and isometric stretches. So far it's been one week of training like that then one week break (lack of time) and now back to it. I'm planning to go like this for 3 more weeks and see if there will be any results. If not, then the last hope I can think of is stretch course that maybe has something I haven't tried yet.

I saw many people posted their progress during one of the stretch serie and it's really impressive. My doubts are that I am one of those people that no matter what will try, still stay like a brick.

I hope someone more experienced would help me on my problem and advise me if stretch series are the good choice in this case (middle split or maybe different one). 

Best regards.

Pauline Taube

Hi Bartosz,

Thank you for reaching out.

The stretch series will for sure help you improve your splits and overall flexibility. Each of the series are meant to be done once a week. On your day off you may add some daily limbering. Getting familiar with the exercises in the course and follow along Stretch workout will help you improve over the weeks and months.

The Middle Split and Front splits course is definitely the way to go if you are looking to improve your splits. 

Do you have any further questions about the courses or in general? We are happy to help you getting started on your journey towards the splits :) 

Petra Dvorak

Hi Bartosz

first: it will take more than 1 month to improve ;-) take pictures of yourself at the beginning and then compare after 3/6/9/12 month

second: if you count the life long access to the online courses, they are NOT expensive at all!

• Upvote 1

Bartosz Jackiewicz

Thanks for replies. 

I think I will try side split course first and see how it works. Just need to read some more on forum to get the idea how it looks like and if any equipment is required. Once a week is a bit rare, but with light stretches every day to maintain progress seems ok.

first: it will take more than 1 month to improve ;-) take pictures of yourself at the beginning and then compare after 3/6/9/12 month

I don't expect tremendous results after one month, but at least small progress to know that what I was doing work - as it occured, it didn't :) I measured how far I'm from side split and front split, that way I can see where I am with training. For example I need to go down 42cm to achieve side split, which is the same amount that I had 10 years ago. Well, at least it's not worse! :D

If you dont have money for both I d add first Front Split course.

Why is that? Is it better to start with?

Alessandro Mainente

Because basically the first goal for adults it is to restore FIRST the posterior chain range of motion.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Antonio Alías Montoya
2 hours ago, Bartosz Jackiewicz said:

Why is that? Is it better to start with?

I have found that tight hamstrings impide me to improve on the middle split, tight hip flexors impide me to improve on the thoracic bridge and both impide me to improve in all core exercises.  I have found that the muscles you strecht in the front split has the biggest carriover to other movements, at least as a beginner. GST focuses a lot on hamstrings flexibility from the very beginning and as Alessandro is pointing, it s intentional. If you really want to see improvements I really  recommemd you the stretch courses, the are a scientific and proved approach, but expect small changes after at least 3 months, and a little bigger after a year and just big after some years!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bartosz Jackiewicz

Just few minutes ago I purchased Front Split Course as you advised. Tomorrow I'm going to check at what level my terrible flexibility is and then start stretching! I will for sure add some daily limbering and excersises for other parts that are not included in course and will keep track of progress. :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Nathaniel McAdoo

Personally I have found that sitting on the floor more throughout the day works miracles for my hip flexibility. It just helps keep the hips open more between stretch and foundations for me. I usually start in a 90/90 on one side, then shift to half straddle, then full straddle, then half straddle, then 90/90 spending 3 ish minutes in each position (look up movnat sitting positions for more examples of these.) If you are extremely inflexible it might be good to use a pillow to raise you up slightly. Take it slow, no pain, I started with one cycle of this (otherwise I got achy hips) and increased over time. Its great for meals, tv watching, etc. 

• Like 1