Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How are Xtreme Rings Different?

Coach Sommer

How are Xtreme Rings Different?

Due to the number of emails I have received asking for comparisons between the Xtreme Rings and the elite rings, I have decided to simply re-post my answer here.

The primary differences between the Xtreme and elite, in no particular order, are:

1) The Xtreme Rings have a heavier texture that matches that of the competitive rings that my athletes compete on. This is not an inherent design flaw of the elite rings. It is a little bit like which is better; chocolate or strawberry? In actuality neither; my personal preference is simply for the heavier texture in the training of my athletes and clients. Your personal preference may vary.

2) The Xtreme Rings have no slots on the sides of the rings, nor will they in the future. This is not a design element that I find useful. Competitive gymnasts tape their rings to stabilize them for swinging skills, not for strength work. There is no need to stabilize them for strength work. My athletes have always conditioned on rings that move freely. Not having slots on the Xtreme Rings also greatly accelerates the speed with which Gymnastic Bodies attachments can be both placed on and removed from the straps. More on the Gymnastic Bodies attachments later this year.

3) The Xtreme Rings are a solid single piece manufacture, not two halves glued together.

4) The strapping is extra long (18') to accomodate handstand work.

In conclusion, you don't need the Xtreme Rings and only the Xtreme Rings to enjoy the benefits of the Gymnastic Bodies program; the elite rings are more than adequate for general fitness training. The Xtreme Rings are simply more convenient for some aspects of the Gymnastic Bodies training and follow the personal preferences I have developed after thirty years of training high-level athletes. The most important point is that you have rings of some sort to train on.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just recieved the Xtreme Rings and am very pleased!

I agree with all of Coach Sommer's points above; particularly #2. The slits in the Elite Rings just make adjustments more difficult than need be. The Xtreme Rings are much easier to adjust and to thread though the buckle.

I like the grip better as well.

Great product!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Also price is much more attractive than Elite Rings.

They are, but even when they go up to their originally intended price they are still a better purchase IMO.

• 6 months later...
Kamali Downey

I have the Elite rings, but I'm thinking about getting the Xtreme Rings.

Now that I'm starting to do my upside work like inverted hangs, skin the cats, lever stuff etc. I'm concerned about the grip or lack thereof on the Elite Rings.

So how is the grip on the Xtreme Rings? It is my understanding that they have a very good grip?

George Launchbury

The grip on my Xtreme Rings is far superior to that on the model of Elite Rings I had before. I felt much more comfortable using them when inverted, and it made a difference to my training straight away. I always felt a little unsafe on my Elites when inverted.

Regards,

George.

The grip is pretty nice. The elite rings have a gnurl on a small section of the ring while the gnurl is all over the Xtreme.

Plus, I noticed the other day that my extremes have a bit more mass/density than the elites and this means they feel a bit better. Rogue ring's are of course of higher density and heavier mass but in case they go flying I'd rather not knock myself or someone else or chip a tooth.

Kamali Downey

So it seems I am not the only one who doesn't like the Elites when inverted....

I think I will upgrade to the Xtremes

The elite rings are a good piece of equipment, granted the texture is different, but it doesn't mean you cannot get a good grip on the elites.

I will say that I like the rougher texture of the Xtreme rings as opposed to the elite rings, Also the smaller diameter of the Xtreme rings make it easier to get your hand around the ring. That being said with a larger ring it requires more grip strength to "feel secure" on the elites, which isn't a bad thing.

In the end, they are both great pieces of equipment, for all intents and purposes. Personally, I use the Xtreme rings as my primary ones and my elites I use on the go.

David Picó García

For elite rings you can customize the feel of your rings, you can use heavy sandpaper to add or light sandpaper remove texture. Use horizontal strokes with sandpaper to give them a nice grain. Wrapping them with athletic tape offers a rough surface. Tennis racket overgrip offers a softer surface (from the web) I have thouse but i didnt tried them inverted.

I didnt try the Xtreme so i dont know if this is possible.

I also tried an old wood rings but they cause me bruises on my wrist if i dont put protection for doing for example some muscle ups, so there's no problem for inverteds but a pain for muscle ups.

• 1 month later...
Richard Duelley

At the gym here at Virginia Tech we only have 1 low pair of rings and they are set up with a pulley mechanism. Its not really set up that great (there is a rather large knot right above the rings that really eats up your arm when you do dips. So yesterday I brought in my Elite Rings and the other 2 guys from the mens team loved them (the other rings had of a pair of carabiners holding them up so switching the two pair out was easy. One guy knew all about putting your arms through the straps and we had a nice cross/maltese session. I told them about the Xtreme Rings and both of them said they were going to buy a pair. I might actually get a pair of Xtremes because I currently have my Elites wrapped with tape and I dont really like it that much, I dont even use the strap slot.

I was also talking to the leadership of our team about getting a pair for the gym. The bad thing is, since we are a club team, we get zero financial support from the school so every piece of equipment we get we have do fundraisers for :( and the next piece in line is a stall bar (my idea as well!). But I am in the process of talking the mens team members into chipping in $10 or so to buy a pair of Xtreme rings for the gym! :D

I cant wait until I get some spare cash so I can get a pair for myself!

• 8 months later...

Got my Xtreme rings today.

The gripe is alot more solid than china generics - china generic QC is bad, one side is warped and smaller.

The texture of the rings feels much more secure than elite rings.

But if you're doing dips and chins then china ones works fine, ring work wise - take xtreme rings.

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

Silver buckel - Xtreme rings

Strap - Left side Xtreme/Right China Generic

Full package -

IMG_0769.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have the old Elite's, it was before i found this site. Tyler's new EXF's weren't an option in Europe. Now that i've had them a while i think i'm happy i got the old ones, not convinced that the new improvements are improvements. I actually like the 'retaining slot' it hasn't caused me any problems, but after getting used to the rings, i see how it really doesn't serve much of a purpose either.

I like the feel of his old rings and the lightness, feels high tech to me. But i'm not trying to advertise the old Elites, i'm looking to get a set of Xtremes soon. There is only one sticking point is --

One difference that Tyler brings up on his site is THICKNESS. He claims his rings are thicker because molding them in two halves and glueing allows for a thicker ring. I'm really happy with that aspect of the Elites, i almost wish they were thicker! What kind of difference can i expect with the Xtreme rings? Is the difference in thickness significant? Does it cause more pressure in the hand in support position, dips etc?

David Picó García

i have used both, i have old elites and a friend forum member omegant have the xtreme. I didn't compared them at the same time, but my impressions are that there is no difference at thickness, but there is a difference in the grip feeling (rough at xtreme). I liked both. What i like most is that extreme feels more solid. The elites are glued and i have a part of them that have lost some glue and creeps a bit (i have put american tape to reforce it). This was because i left them some months outside which i think is not recomended in with any ring (sun, rain...). xtreme are a bit heavier but not really too much difference as this weight feels more solid.

• Upvote 1

I'm really happy with that aspect of the Elites, i almost wish they were thicker! What kind of difference can i expect with the Xtreme rings? Is the difference in thickness significant? Does it cause more pressure in the hand in support position, dips etc?

The Xtreme Rings are the exact thickness of competitive gymnastic rings and there are no plans to change that.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

i have used both, i have old elites and a friend forum member omegant have the xtreme. I didn't compared them at the same time, but my impressions are that there is no difference at thickness, but there is a difference in the grip feeling (rough at xtreme). I liked both. What i like most is that extreme feels more solid. The elites are glued and i have a part of them that have lost some glue and creeps a bit (i have put american tape to reforce it). This was because i left them some months outside which i think is not recomended in with any ring (sun, rain...). xtreme are a bit heavier but not really too much difference as this weight feels more solid.
I'm really happy with that aspect of the Elites, i almost wish they were thicker! What kind of difference can i expect with the Xtreme rings? Is the difference in thickness significant? Does it cause more pressure in the hand in support position, dips etc?

The Xtreme Rings are the exact thickness of competitive gymnastic rings and there are no plans to change that.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the replies-

I think the competition is trying to make 'other rings' sound thin and weedy.

Rogue Fitness has long built some rings that are wider than FIG spec to cater to the bigger guys in CrossFit doing rings. That's all it is really. We're talking about 6'+ guys weighing in at 250lbs. Roughly 6" to a foot taller and 100lbs heavier than most gymnasts. They used to be known for making their rings out of steel, I think. There is some niche for that I guess. Useful as tow straps. My friend who was into rings training at another gym had hands roughly two knuckles bigger than mine and was over a foot taller than me and a 100lbs. Hand size became an issue on pommel horse if I remember. Also bare in mind, I have relatively small hands (besides being 5'+).

As well, they have announced they will be releasing some wood rings that are FIG spec ( but I doubt they have a composite construction like FIG gymnastics rings ) that will be FIG dimensions.

• 3 years later...
Guest SuperBru

Does anyone know when the Xtreme rings are going to be available for purchase?

When they are available for purchase. :)

• 1 month later...

Seriously tho i was about to purchase some rings and they just aren't on the site anymore. Is there any information at all about this?

Seriously tho i was about to purchase some rings and they just aren't on the site anymore. Is there any information at all about this?

Nothing recent. The most important feature of the XR is the long straps that allow for handstands, so my recommendation would be to look for a set of rings from another vendor that also come with long straps.