This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/SE1>iM - Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold

Started by Matt Karlin, July 21, 2017 · 4 Replies · 246 Views

Matt Karlin

Hello - Just started this progression and couldn't come close to getting the hold.  It feels like a big jump from the previous progression where you are holding onto a table.  I tried "hopping" into like in the video, but couldn't find the balance point and my legs fell.  When I tried "hopping" stronger, I fell on my face (thankfully I had enough strength to do this gently).  And the "hopping" while bending the legs 90 degrees was tough too.

I think if I can find the balance point I would have enough strength to hold, but...Any tips for getting into this position?

Thanks,

Matt

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Matt Karlin,

Please send video for form check on your SPL PE5 and HBP PE3. Lacking mastery on these elements will most likely be the reason for not being able to do the bent arm half straddle planche. Core strength and Leg strength (glute strength) also play a big role for being able to get it. Without mastery of the earlier elements then your bent arm half straddle planche will seem impossible. I hope this helps.

Jeremy Huston

To get a feel for the balance, I found the Half Straddle Elbow Lever very helpful.

images.jpg

 

Nicholas Murray

I had been stuck on this for ages.

I enter the position from a crouch, hands on the floor beside my knees. Lean forward, further than you think you need to. Initially I hold my legs too high - it makes balancing a little easier - then lower slowly.

For me, the one thing that made the most difference was not letting my chest sink towards the ground - keep the elbows bent at 90 degrees or a bit less.