This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Where to Start?!

Started by Philip Bedwell, December 7, 2016 · 14 Replies · 621 Views

Philip Bedwell

Hello

I've been fine up until this point with all the mobility and exercises but as I try to "kick up" into position I cannot even hold the form for more than a second.

The planche bounces in the previous exercises were fine and I'm holding the frog position for 15-20 seconds each round.

Is there a "halfway" exercise I can practise with?  Maybe using a resistance band?

Thank you for any feedback.

Mikkel Ravn

How far are you in the HBP progressions - Have you reached PE3, pseudo planche pushups yet?

These will really help you in holding the bent arm half straddle planche. Once you become proficient in PPP, you should be able lift feet off the floor in the bottom position, and go briefly into the BAHsPL.

Everett Carroll

Hey Philip,

A really good place to start is with form checks of for this iM, your planche lean and its iM, and pseudo planche push-ups. Mikkel is definitely asking the correct questions.

Gabriel Nunez

I was having the same issue with pretty much all my exercises, things were fine until I got to Progressions 8/9 in HBP & SPL: Korean Dips and Straddle Planche Bent Hold Mobility completely stopped all my progress, I will try getting my reps up in PPPs to see if this helps. As for Korean Dips.. ugh..

Mikkel Ravn
25 minutes ago, Gabriel Nunez said:

I was having the same issue with pretty much all my exercises, things were fine until I got to Progressions 8/9 in HBP & SPL: Korean Dips and Straddle Planche Bent Hold Mobility completely stopped all my progress, I will try getting my reps up in PPPs to see if this helps. As for Korean Dips.. ugh..

Korean dips are a matter of technique and mobility, they don't take a whole lot of strength to do. 

Gabriel Nunez

I see. Thank you for the insight. I hit a slump because of the sudden stop to my progress ( I was trying to maintain all my progressions at the same level, all at level 9 and didn't want one to fall behind) and then the site changed its layout, so I just felt lost (as I was accustomed to the earlier calendar setup [fixed now! ;D]. I am glad that I took the time to come back to the forums to see if I was missing anything. Thank you Mikkel.

Alessandro Mainente

have you tried to use higher supports of the hands and accumulate seconds on the tuck variation? like for example 20 seconds? then try to move on the adv tuck bent arm variation and again accumulate 20 seconds in a row. then you can try to reach the half straddle by extending (for reps) the hips from adv tuck bent arm planche until 10-15 reps in a row, then you can try to move to bent arm half straddle planche. for people with heavy legs this is one possible solution.

Gabriel Nunez
On 12/10/2016 at 4:25 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

have you tried to use higher supports of the hands and accumulate seconds on the tuck variation? like for example 20 seconds? then try to move on the adv tuck bent arm variation and again accumulate 20 seconds in a row. then you can try to reach the half straddle by extending (for reps) the hips from adv tuck bent arm planche until 10-15 reps in a row, then you can try to move to bent arm half straddle planche. for people with heavy legs this is one possible solution.

Great suggestion Alessandro and will try it out! I wish I would've seen this response sooner! lol

Michael Slifka

Any thoughts on entering this position from handstand? Still can't hold it  at all after months of trying and endless PPP?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Michael Slifka,

Entering this from a handstand position is much more harder and advance. Please post your PPP if you have doubts. If you can't hold this, then you have not mastered the earlier progressions. Bent arm straddle planche needs strong protraction, planche lean, wrist strength and flexibility, core strength, glute and leg strength. All these play a very important role for bent arm straddle planche.

Michael Slifka

hi leo thanks for your comments, actually its easier for me to enter from handstand. But still cant hold the pose worth a damn.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey MIchael have you ever tried to scale down with the progression I cited above? like the bent arm tuck planche.

Christian Nogueira

Entering it from a planche lean and then lowering and leaning further is probably the easiest way to enter the position.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Michael Slifka, 

Can you post a video of your attempt to lower into a bent arm half straddle planche from a handstand.

Hi @Christian Nogueira,

I still think the best entrance is from frog stand to bent arm half straddle. (really tests your bent arm strength) :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

A previously started thread on the topic... Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold
It is common to need help with this mobility element.