This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold

Started by Lee, October 6, 2014 · 60 Replies · 4,847 Views

Lee

Hit a wall on this move, training for planche. Can't even hold for 1 sec. Having trouble lifting my legs and lower body up. Legs tend to open up and straddle.

 

Used a resistance band on 1 leg and was able to struggle for 10 sec. Will post a vid if necessary.

 

Guys any tips on getting this move?

Ravn

Do pseudo planche pushups and lift your legs momentarily at the bottom position. These are called PPP+.

LateStarter@46

I thought the legs are meant to straddle? Sounds like you haven't found the balance point yet - try moving your hands lower and make it easier to balance by having the band around your hip at the same level of your hands.

strme

half straddle here.  jeheeej  i get it. never did it before(0 sec) . i was stuck like between rocks. for ages.  

tip for you guys. try it with some resistance band around waist. it is this imagination how to hold it. now i can hold it around 5sec without resistance band :)  i need to just make a better form and dont touch body with arms. bad habit,that i squeeze body with arms. not very much squeezing, but it must go away for sure. time to celebrate :D

 

no squeezing now hehe

Daniel Burnham

It would be beneficial to do slow PPP and pause to raise one foot at the bottom as another progression into this exercise.

Adriano Augusto

How's your PPP (HBP/PE3) coming up?

Jason Stein

Lee-

 

Two thoughts-

 

1. Video would be very helpful, can you post?

 

2. Straddle Psuedo-planche push-ups --- at the bottom drift forward until the feet leave the floor, try to hold 2-4 seconds before pushing back up.

 

I disliked this quite a bit, until I realized that (for me at least) these drills were (are) training me to properly extend (un-pike or flatten) the hips while the arms work very hard, which is what I assume happens in the straddle planche.

 

best-

jason

ausswe

I managed to do minimum mastery of PPP ( hands just at the lowest rib) 5x10 but that wasn't nearly enough to even get close I being able to hold this position for even a second. I decides to try PPP mastery same hand position with a furniture slider.... Holy crap it is so much harder. Only managed 5x6 and that was pushing it.

It seems that mastery of PPP isn't nearly enough to hold this position

jaz

Mastering HB/PE3 with hands at bottom ribs level will not sufficiently prepare for sPL/SE1>iM but at hips level, it will!

ausswe

I posted a while back asking if it is better to master at hip level or master at the minimum rib level. General consensus was master at the minimum and move on. So hopefully the dip progressions will help with the spl Im

Mark Collins

I like these ideas. I will try them next session.

Christian
ausswe said:

I posted a while back asking if it is better to master at hip level or master at the minimum rib level. General consensus was master at the minimum and move on. So hopefully the dip progressions will help with the spl Im

Move on, but keep it in the warmup and try to improve on it.

Jon Douglas

I always find I have to lean just a little further than I expect to hold a bent-arm planche in straddle or above. I think at this point I just keep going forward until I feel stable, not try to find stability at the point I expect :)

Mark Collins

I got this mobility tonight following the advice given here. I did a pseudo Planche push up with my feet in the straddle. At the bottom of the push up I lifted one leg and bent the knee and then did the next leg. I think you need a good PPP otherwise you won't get the body forward over the hands. I am now glad I persisted with the PPP even though it took so long.

LateStarter@46

Nice one Mark!  :)

ausswe

Hey mark do you have a video of a set of your mastery on PPP? Did you use a furniture slider for it or just feet on the floor? Also where were your palms located in relation to your body? (Lower ribs or hips or in between?)

Sorry for the mass questioning but I did mastery at lower ribs without a furniture slider but was not even close to the I'm.

So I tried doing mastery with hands at lower ribs with a furniture slider and I could only get 5x6..... Makes a world of difference.

Anyway just trying to gauge where you were at with PPP when you manages to get the Im.

Mark Collins

I spent easily over 12 months on this as I followed the initial guidelines of wrists at the pelvis. To measure this I laid on my stomach with my head against the wall and wrists at the pelvis. I then made a chalk line to keep my hands at a consistent level. As I did the PPP I kept my hair touching the wall.

I didn't use a furniture slider as I did these on a gymnastic mat and my feet were sliding well.

By what I felt with the iM I cannot see how it could be done unless you can do a PPP at the hip level. The reason I stuck with mastery at the hip level was the PPP+ Exercise that comes later.

I do have a video of my iM from last night that I will try to post.

Alan Tseng
Mark Collins said:

I spent easily over 12 months on this as I followed the initial guidelines of wrists at the pelvis. To measure this I laid on my stomach with my head against the wall and wrists at the pelvis. I then made a chalk line to keep my hands at a consistent level. As I did the PPP I kept my hair touching the wall.

I didn't use a furniture slider as I did these on a gymnastic mat and my feet were sliding well.

By what I felt with the iM I cannot see how it could be done unless you can do a PPP at the hip level. The reason I stuck with mastery at the hip level was the PPP+ Exercise that comes later.

I do have a video of my iM from last night that I will try to post.

Out of curiosity, did you also get your hands to hip level for planche leans before you were able to do PPP at hip level?

ausswe

I've been told I should move on once I've achieved the minimum mastery and keep it in my warm up tryin to increase it but honestly I skip my warm up most of the time because I just don't have time to do it all. Do you think I Gould listen to that sauce and move on or stick to it until hip mastery. Probably going to take me nearly another year to get there haha

B1214N
alan tseng said:

Out of curiosity, did you also get your hands to hip level for planche leans before you were able to do PPP at hip level?

I'm pretty sure he did since you wouldn't be able to do a PPP without being able to planche lean with the same degree of lean as the PPP unless he wasn't doing it correctly like not locking out.

DieKatze

i am far away form mastering the IM but i got significantly better since the first time i tried it so maybe my approach will help other people struggling with his exercise.

 

i think for most people it is extremely hard to enter the way it is done in the course video. i half-straddle my legs in a seated position, plant my hands on the ground and lean forward. this results in a bent-arm half-straddle planche...with a lot of piking in the hips. what i did over the last few sessions was really focussing on eliminating that piking and i noticed that it wasnt really a strength but more or less a balanche and even maybe a little mental issue. i did not master PPP with hands at my hips so although that would have made it much easier i do not think it is necessary for everyone.

 

tl:dr: start with piked hips and try to reduce that piking over the course of a few weeks. its not all about strength but also about balance and you head :)

B1214N
ausswe said:

I've been told I should move on once I've achieved the minimum mastery and keep it in my warm up tryin to increase it but honestly I skip my warm up most of the time because I just don't have time to do it all. Do you think I Gould listen to that sauce and move on or stick to it until hip mastery. Probably going to take me nearly another year to get there haha

Do you have a video of your PPPs so we can check your form on those?

 

You can try to master them with hands at hips before moving on. It shouldn't really take anywhere near another year unless you are gigantic. You can also train the bent arm planche by doing bent arm planche leans.

Mark Collins
alan tseng said:

Out of curiosity, did you also get your hands to hip level for planche leans before you were able to do PPP at hip level?

Yes. That's what took so long. I had to get the Planche lean, then PPP which made the iM achievable relatively quickly.

DieKatze
DieKatze said:

i am far away form mastering the IM but i got significantly better since the first time i tried it so maybe my approach will help other people struggling with his exercise.

 

i think for most people it is extremely hard to enter the way it is done in the course video. i half-straddle my legs in a seated position, plant my hands on the ground and lean forward. this results in a bent-arm half-straddle planche...with a lot of piking in the hips. what i did over the last few sessions was really focussing on eliminating that piking and i noticed that it wasnt really a strength but more or less a balanche and even maybe a little mental issue. i did not master PPP with hands at my hips so although that would have made it much easier i do not think it is necessary for everyone.

 

tl:dr: start with piked hips and try to reduce that piking over the course of a few weeks. its not all about strength but also about balance and you head :)

 

i didnt notice i was already doing them for way more than a month but i can see some really nice progress now. i think i will master them end of april/start of may. my hips are still a bit closed (maybe 10-20 degrees missing) but i can hold the 10seconds now pretty comfortably. give this method a try if you are desperate.

dritar

One thing that has been helping me get very short holds is this tip. When you start the hold, place the hands further back than you think you need to put them.