Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Protein Intake (Done to death, but many versions)

Bryce Warren

Bryce Warren

Ok, so I'm reading a million things, even on this site and it's all different. Let's see if someone can clarify. Ok, in reference to whey protein, one topic says the body can only take in roughly 10g protein per hour. So if it takes 1-1.5 hrs for whey to be absorbed, you're sitting with 10-15g per shake. Now another thread will say 30g. So if your body can only absorb half of this, you're wasting half?

So here we are two different versions, anyone wanna clarify?

And while we're on the subject:

Do digestive enzymes make a significant difference with your PWO effectiveness?

If we can only absorb roughly 10g/hr, why the recommendation of 1.5g/kg of bw? They contradict just a bit, a heavier person obviously would take in more for the day if we go by bw.

Everett Carroll

Hey Bryce, 

These are common questions; 

For high-quality protein absorption at each meal, the best and most up to date answer I've found is aim for .4g protein per kg of bodyweight. That said, I prefer to exceed that amount just to be sure; some used to believe that it was harmful to your kidneys to eat excessive amounts of protein but that notion has been annihilated by researchers like Jose Antonio. When in doubt, eat more protein. For details, here's a quick listen for you: https://guruperformance.com/episode-98-protein-an-update-with-prof-stu-phillips-prof-kevin-tipton/

That podcast also gives recs for totally daily consumption, ideal ways to space it out, etc. 

"Wasting" is touched on in this blog, along with some other fun protein facts: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/protein-truths-myths-much-need-thrive/

• Upvote 2

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.