Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle Up transition sticking point

Ricky Dawson

Ricky Dawson

Hello all,

My problem as stated in the title is 'sticking' during the transition point of the MU. I read recently that coach has suggested working on pulling as high as possible each time and then on practicing dips working backwards.

My question is has anyone or can even coach tell me if it is useful to add a static hold at the sticking point say for three seconds. So i'd pull as high as i could, hold and then return and repeat.

Good idea or not?

thanks for your time and answers guys, it feels soooo close!!

Ricky, London, England

George Launchbury

Hi Ricky,

I imagine you've read Coach's essay on the subject, but will put a link here for those who haven't (hasn't been bumped since January): http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

The static holds sound good, what do you think about holding it slightly above, at and below the sticking point? I.e. using a step to get to a height just above, holding for a number of seconds, then lowering a little to the sticking point, and once again just below (followed by controlled negative)??

I often work on the principle that: You can hold more than you can lift, lower more than you can hold, and drop more than you can lower. :)

Just a thought.

George.

Ricky Dawson

Hi Geroge,

Sounds good to me and as i have my rings on a pull up bar getting to the point beyond my pulling shouldn't be a problem... thanks for the idea! :)

Also, as mentioned because of my setup i am performing the MU from a hanging tuck, is this going to hinder when i finally get to practice from a hang? I'm practicing without any kip as i feel kipping past the transition takes away the best part of the exercise.

Ricky

George Launchbury

Although I'm aproaching this more from a logical perspective than an experience perspective ...I'd say that as long as you've got good upper body extension on the hang, the hips/legs shouldn't make much difference (unless they make it slightly harder depending on whether you mean knees tucked up, or feet tucked up behind.

With you on the kipping. Although depending on your mindset, I could see some advantages if you were able to phase it out quickly ...it would enable you to do sets of muscle-ups with controlled negatives, etc? I generally prefer to do things right the first time, which may or may not be a limitation.

Cheers,

George.

I've always thought the MU was more skill than strength oriented, so while the static hold will be great for developing pullup strength, I don't think it will help in learning the transition. Other than the good advice you've gotten so far, the only thing I can suggest is a "jumping" muscle up to teach you the transition skill. But be careful, the MU can be hard on the shoulders!

Ricky Dawson

Hi JoeS,

I would agree to a point but also the 'strength' in itself is actually a 'skill', i think thats the theory behind GTG type training. So yes you will become more economic/efficient in the movement with practice but i also believe that the transition requires specific strength although it may not be very high level strength.

These are just my views, I hope someone will be able to enlighten us.

Ricky

Graham Hayes

A static hold is a bit passive, keep pulling aggressively trying to get through the transition for up to 10 seconds, don't give up! If your strength is good enough, as determined by the number of pull ups and dips you can perform, then it is probably a technique issue. The transition require a lot of strength, on the rings you can lean forward and 'roll' through it but you can't do that for a bar muscle up.

Coach Sommer

The transition requires strength through a range of motion that is unavailable with either pull-ups or dips; regardless of the amount of load you add to the movement. This is why kipping during muscle-ups is so prevalent among many fitness enthusiasts; it allows people to hide their weakness. I agree that kipping may initially be necessary to complete the movement in the beginning, but every effort should be made to eliminate the kip as soon as possible. Continuing to stay with a kipping style muscle-up is one of the reasons that so few people progress onward to more advanced ring strength elements and combinations.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ricky Dawson

Thank you coach for the insight. I'm unclear as to how to proceed, with reference to my original question. Along with going as high as possible with each chin and lower on each dip, i liked the idea of the 'agressive hold' at the top where by you continue to pull for 10 seconds. Do you think this is a good idea? Or is getting into the sticking point and then holding for 10 seconds as good?

thanks for your help,

Ricky

Coach Sommer

I personally think that 10 seconds is a little too long. My personal preference is 3 seconds. Also, as I mentioned in the transition article referenced above, negative muscle-ups are the most efficient for building transition strength. As you get stronger, continually attempt to slow the speed of the negative transition as much as possible.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer