This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2

Started by Zachary Ladwig, May 5, 2017 · 58 Replies · 1,061 Views

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Zachary Ladwig said:

I recorded my whole set this time to see how my form would change. I can definitely see my core start to lose tension in the later sets 
 

 

The biggest mistake, much more visible in the last set, is that your shoulders elevate when you begin to move back from the bottom rep.

Zachary Ladwig

Ah I see okay 

@Alessandro Mainente

 

did I fix it here? I think I may have done it on rep 3 but the others look OK to me?

 

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Zachary Ladwig said:

Ah I see okay 

@Alessandro Mainente

 

did I fix it here? I think I may have done it on rep 3 but the others look OK to me?

 

Hey Zachary you do it in almost every rep, the only solution you have is to slow the speed.

Zachary Ladwig

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

Thanks as always. I tried a very slow set .

is this any better?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Zachary , the problem comes out in the ascending part especially after the first 40° degrees of the exercise. you need to slow id down and stop the execution if necessary.

Zachary Ladwig

Ah okay. So I am good on the way down? But when I rise back up it is the problem? 
 

and what do you mean by 40 degrees? Is that the angle of my elbow when I make the mistake?

 

thank you for your patience and help.

I am having trouble seeing what you mean! 

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Zachary Ladwig said:

Ah okay. So I am good on the way down? But when I rise back up it is the problem? 
 

and what do you mean by 40 degrees? Is that the angle of my elbow when I make the mistake?

 

thank you for your patience and help.

I am having trouble seeing what you mean! 

Exactly at the elbows. From the deepest position as you begin the extension you tend to elevate the shoulders.

Zachary Ladwig

Got it. Did I fix it here @Alessandro Mainente?

I tried to focus on keeping the shoulders always in the same position. Going slow helps. 

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Zachary Ladwig said:

Got it. Did I fix it here @Alessandro Mainente?

I tried to focus on keeping the shoulders always in the same position. Going slow helps. 

You should look to the cam when you reverse the movement, because is here that the problem comes out.

James O'Boyle

@Zachary Ladwig

Hi Zachary--

Just a quick observation--it looks like it might help if you walk your feet back a bit more to give yourself more space for a straight bodyline.  I know from my own push-up issues that having my feet too close kind of jammed me up.

Thanks,

James

Zachary Ladwig

Thank you @James O'Boyle I tried your advice this week and it did feel more comfortable for sure.

@Alessandro Mainente did it get any better in terms of the shoulders? Sometimes I think I know what you are talking about and other times I can’t see it

Alessandro Mainente

In the pic below i have extracted casually one frame from the ascent pat of your pushup, the rounded edge is your upper shoulder, it is too close to the ears. The black arrow indicates the direction where the shoulders should be pulled ALL THE TIME DURING PUSHUP.

If you can train with someone, if you have kids or a parent and ask them to put a finger into your lats and tell you if the lats are always squeezed during the pushup, if not...your shoulder is elevated.

tooclose.png

Zachary Ladwig

I see thank you for your help Alessandro 

Zachary Ladwig

@Alessandro Mainente

i tried a couple reps completely focusing on shoulders and not paying as much attention to protraction or strong core.

in these reps, are the shoulders good? If so, is it preferable to start from here and try to improve core and protraction versus my previous technique?

I will get it someday! 

Alessandro Mainente

This is an awesome form...can you feel the difference?

Zachary Ladwig

@Alessandro Mainente yes definitely!! 
 

Zachary Ladwig

Hi @Alessandro Mainente just checking that my form stayed okay this week

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Great job depressing your shoulders! As you get tired you are starting to lose some protraction. Awesome improvement!

Zachary Ladwig

Thanks as always @Jeffrey Bittner

 

i videod all the sets today how are they?

I think the first set is the worst, I let my shoulders slide up a bit is that right? And then the last set I start to lose the solidity of the form 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

That's spot on. As you get tired, don't forget to engage your core muscles to help maintain a straight body line. Keep working on depressing your shoulders as well as protracting at the top of each rep. You're doing a great job, keep it up!

Zachary Ladwig

Thanks @Jeffrey Bittner

 

how were this weeks? I think I did a better job keeping the body line and not letting shoulders rise with the exception of a few reps 

 

Zachary Ladwig

@Jeffrey Bittner here are this weeks. I think the first set was good and then I start to lose form a bit more on each of the following sets 

Jeffrey Bittner

Better focus on the shoulders and hips, however, you have a consistent arch in your lower back. Remember to engage your core muscles throughout your set to help keep your spine in a straight line.

Zachary Ladwig

Thank you I will 

Zachary Ladwig

Tried to do better this time although I can definitely notice my form get worse as sets go on