Hanging Leg Lift - V to L

Started by Gerald Silberman, February 21, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,882 Views

Gerald Silberman

I hope this question isn't as dumb as it sounds. I am able to do a hanging leg lift to L and I saw the next variation is the V to L. I do the HLLs on a set of stall bars and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into a V position to start. Ordinarily, I would lean back to do this, but you can't lean back on stall bars.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Amebix138
From a hang, tuck your legs to your chest and then extend them up overhead to the bar.
Gerald Silberman

Thanks very much. I wasn't able to get my legs all the way up to the bar, but I believe its a flexibility problem, not a strength problem. I was able to tuck and extend my legs about 3/4 of the way so I guess I'll start there.

thanks again.

Paul Gray

I know what you mean I'm stuck at exactly the same point. I found that I could lift to a V on a single chin up bar, but i think my lats were helping a lot. I was wondering if there's any carry over from this to doing it on stall bars?

Amebix's post seems like a great idea doing it in a tuck position, I'll definitely be trying this! cheers

Nick Van Bockxmeer

You are probably closing the shoulder angle rather than lifting the legs when you do it on a regular bar. You really need to pull the legs in tight to your hands

DrAlexisOlson

nickvb is right. More than likely you are closing the shoulders when you do it on a regular bar.

Doing this properly is a matter of both strength and (active) flexibility. I don't have a set of stall bars in my gym, so occasionally I'll do leg lifts hanging from only one arm. I'm not strong enough to cheat them that way. :-)