This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE1 formcheck

Started by Garry Barker, March 10, 2017 · 58 Replies · 1,081 Views

Garry Barker

Finally got the handstand 1 so thought I'd better post a form check since the handstand is all new to me.

Any advice is appreciated 

Thank you

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Garry, in order to have a correct review of the IM you need to post some seconds of a side view and some second of a posterior view.

Garry Barker

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Garry, increase a bit the distance of the hands in order to reach the 180° of flexion. do not extend the wrists .keep them neutral.

Garry Barker

Thanks Alessandro I will work on that.

Do you have any advice on the tripod please?

Jeffrey Bittner

@Garry Barker Your tripod looks solid. Nice work so far.

Garry Barker

Thanks Jeffrey

I have to work on the balance on this one but the exercise video look like he is on a slight angle is this correct or should I be straight?

Thanks again

 

Jeffrey Bittner

@Garry Barker Keep working on taking out to lean. Your body should be straight up and down as your hold your headstand. It is difficult to tell from the angle, but it looks like you are letting your elbows flair out to the side. Make sure that they are directly over your hands as you hold.

Garry Barker

Yeah you are correct, I took a video form the front and my elbows definitely flair out to the side.

Will keep working on being straight as well

Thanks!

Garry Barker

HI

I can hold for 5 x 60 seconds but still can't seem to get a straight line. As soon I put my feet over my head I lose balance as you can probably see in the video. 

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Garry, it is not necessary to reach the vertical position, feeling the weight over 3 points it is essential.

Garry Barker

Ah OK, thanks Alessandro.

So to pass as mastery do the feet have to be completely still for the full 5 x 60s or will there always be small movements?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Garry Barker,

Yes the goal is to be completely still as this demonstrates core strength and stability. If you don't master it then you will have a hard time on the next progressions. In my experience, I skipped mastery and reached plateau fast and eventually re-trained everything from the start. ;)

Garry Barker

Certainly don't want to have to restart the course again. Will keep working till it's perfect.

Thanks Leo 

Garry Barker

Hello

I can feel equal weight at 3 points now and the balance feels easy although I can't seem to lose the movement in my feet.

Any advice on this one please

Thank you

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Garry,

It looks good. Your headstand will get more stable with practice. It might just be because of the angle of the video, but it looks like you are picking up a small arch as you hold. Remember to engage your core in order to maintain a tight, straight body line.

Garry Barker

Thank Jeffery, will keep at it.

Garry Barker

Hi

Any improvement? I still can't seem to keep my feet completely still though.

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Garry, very nice work.

Garry Barker

Thanks Alessandro

Mobility is tough on this one!

Ezra Richardson

Garry! you might just have the best damn toe point in the game! nice work!

Garry Barker

For some reason i don't get notifications for replys anymore.

Thank you @Ezra Richardson it wasn't something i even noticed. 

 

 

Garry Barker

Just moved on to this progressions so thought id better drop a form check in.

Any advice appreciated 

Thank you 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Solid job, Garry! Keep it up!

Garry Barker

Thanks Jeffrey

Still finding mobility tough on this on.