Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wall burn and wall runs

Ryan Libke

Just as a funny aside, I was doing my wall run workout the other day (I am a long way from getting to ten minutes, but slowly increasing my time), and was doing well. Afterwards, I felt a particular, but not unfamiliar, pain on the top of my feet. I had been doing the wall runs barefoot against a wall in the garage, which is textured and painted drywall. The friction from the rocking motion was enough to wear off the skin. Ouch! This reminded me of the mat burns I would get on the top of my feet while doing BJJ on the textured vinyl tatami mats.

What did I learn? To wear socks! (Which probably would have exposed me to ridicule and mangling in BJJ but which I can do in my garage with impunity.)

I've never thought about what's the correct form regarding the position of the feet. I usually do them with the sole of my toes against the wall.

Is this bad form?

For wall handstands I put the top of my feet against the wall to have pointed feet/toes - it's just for HS wall runs.

I've never thought about what's the correct form regarding the position of the feet. I usually do them with the sole of my toes against the wall.

Is this bad form?

For wall handstands I put the top of my feet against the wall to have pointed feet/toes - it's just for HS wall runs.

:? Huh? I guess you mean the tips of your toes against the wall when you are doing wall runs so your feet are effectively flexed not pointed? To me, part of the face-to wall handstand is seeking maximal extension of the body line along the wall, so pointing the toes seems to help. I almost feel as if my chest, belly, hips, thighs and feet are climbing up the wall if that makes any sense.

When I do my wall runs I'm sliding around quite a bit up there as my hips sway from side to side. I've been thinking about it lately as in all of my workouts at my gym I do not bother to take off my shoes. Just never really occurred to me to do so. Not a big deal I guess other than I tend to mark up the walls a bit.

I prefer they place their instep on the wall but toes work. At home, socks is a good idea so it doesn't mark up the walls.

Nic Scheelings

Funnily I burnt a hole in my socks doing wall runs!! Luckily i've found a less abrasive wall to do them on.