Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weightlifting and GST

Vince Musci

Hey.

So after listening to both episodes with Coach Sommer's on the Tim Ferris Show I decided to purchase the fundamentals course of GB.  Im 22 years old, 6'3, 200lbs.  For the past 8 years I have been a bodybuilder/powerlifter and like many people neglected to train mobility/ flexibility and joint strength.  Because of this I suffer from compromised range of motion, inflexibility, and muscular imbalances (such as kyphotic Shoulders and in the lower back due to compensation from a slipped disk injury) It was the idea that GST could help correct these types of issues that I have.  However, and this is my main question. I love bodybuilding and powerlifting and don't want to give them up.  I know to get the most out of GB I would most likely have to only focus on GST and to correct the previously mentioned problems I would have to solely focus on GST for sometime (which I am fine with).  Would the use of GST to recommended for someone like me who's main passion is bodybuilding/powerlifting? Do you thing I would still benefit from these types of training? Will my barbel and weighted work benefit from this type of training ? Please give any feed back you see fit, no matter how direct or straight forward.  

Thank you.  

Pauline Taube

Hi Vince,

Thanks for reaching out. Great questions!

You can absolutely combine GST and powerlifting. Including GST will help you improve your performance and remain injury free. Many athletes from various backgrounds such as power lifters, runners, dancers, rock climbers etc use GST for injury prevention and to correct imbalances. 

I've worked with clients who have been doing power lifting/body building before. Some of them often experiencing tightness/pain and sometieme struggle with muscle activation. I've had one of my clients focus on the Foundations and mobility for three months and he was barely allowed to touch weights (except for mobility exercises). He was worried about his physique and loosing strength. This was however not the case. He was maintaining his strength at the same time as his ROM improved. This made muscle activation so much better and he felt overall stronger and healthier. And his physique actually looked better and more well balanced. Posture got much better too.

I'd reccomend to begin with the Fundamentals course which is a gentle introductory course to GST. This is a great way to discover weaknesses and imbalances. The daily limbering routine you'll get in the end of the course is great to use as a warm up too. After this course I'd reccomend to start Foundation One, and the Stretch series. I also reccomend the Handstand One course. This is a great course to build both strength and mobility in the shoulder girdle. 

Please let us know if you have any more questions about the courses :) 

• Upvote 4

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, Vince Musci said:

Would the use of GST to recommended for someone like me who's main passion is bodybuilding/powerlifting?

I used to love bodybuilding, I was in the gym 6 days a week. I started GST 5 months ago, and slowly and unplanned I stopped doing any weight work in the gym (other than GST). I am not missing it at all now. My body composition and strength is improving. (And it was pretty ok before :) ). You may find eventually something similar. Go with the flow and you may find that you will add more days of GST and slowly take away those bodybuilding training days. Have fun!!!

• Upvote 3

GST has been a great addition to my regular routine of mostly powerlifting and endurance sports, but there are certain things that one aquires in powerlifting that does not let you reach your best level in GST. For example, most decent powerlifters have large, powerful thighs and these large,powerful thighs do not help much in many upper body exercises in GST since these big thighs will be added weight when preforming GST. If you are ok with this you can continue powerlifting, but understand that it might be more difficult to preform certain movements than if you simply just focused on GST.The plus side of combining GST with powerlifting is that you will have a overall functional, powerful body that is powerful in both weight lifting and bodyweight exercises. Adding endurance sports to your routine will complicate things even further, but will make you a better overall athlete in the long run.

Edited by Angel Chav
Added info
  • Upvote 1

Pauline Taube

Thanks for sharing your experiences Suzanna and Angel.

You can perfectly combine the two. One of my clients actually decided to focus more on GST as for Upper Body and Core. But he still continued with exercises such as squats and deadlifts. The reason why I put them of for a while is simply because their body is f**** up from years of imbalanced training and in my opinion you don't deserve to lift weights if your body is not prepared. So by correcting imbalances and refining the basics your weightlifting journey will also become more enjoyable :) 

Winter Phoenix

I agree with Pauline that you can combine bodybuilding and powerlifting with GST as it will increase mobility, strengthen muscles through a greater range of motion and provide you with the ability to integrate muscles together as a cohesive unit. This will aid in increasing your athleticism and overall functionality, thus improving your training not matter what type of training you focus on. 

• Upvote 2