Hi Guys, just looking for a little guidance prior to getting started with GB. Firstly, I'd like to congratulate the members/moderators here on what looks like a fantastic forum, full of great info. I've read extensively prior to posting, but would still like a little clarification before beginning the training system.
A short history on me - 24 years old, 6 ft and 205 pounds. 8 years of weightlifting/rugby experience. I have a degree in exercise science, so some knowledge of biomechanics/injury rehab, but I am not an expert by any means. At age 17 I suffered a disc bulge in L5-S1 which was rehabilitated, and i have continued to play contact sport for the last 6 years with no re-occurrence. What I do have, is continual tightness/stiffness in the lower back, and compensatory hypertrophy in a few areas in the back due to my body 'working around' the injury, in laymans terms. GST is something I am looking at to help return some balance to my body, improve my hip/spine flexibility which I believe is lacking, and also as a new training modality that looks like a lot of fun. Overall I am interested in returning to being pain free, and continuing to build strength, with aesthetics as a secondary goal.
A few questions:
1) Will my injury history (L5-SI bulge) prohibit me from advancing in this system? I have read and heard Coach's opinion on the fact that a compromised system may never return to what it was, and understand that this sort of thing is on a case by case basis. My disc was not ruptured.
2) Will I maintain muscle mass training this program, provided diet is in check? Currently I have a reasonable level of muscle, which is important to me for maintaining sports performance and remaining strong in contact. I am aware that increased mass will make progression harder, and that's a tradeoff I'm willing to take.
3) Should weight training be integrated with this program immediately, or at all, to maintain strength levels before reaching more advanced techniques in GST?
4) Is the support on the courses adequate for someone with no access to hands on gymnastics training? I live in New Zealand, and my only form of instruction would be to send in videos here on the forum for form checks.
5) Is the Jefferson Curl a movement I should use to help with fixing back issues? I do feel some muscular pain during the movement using just my body, but it is very similar to the pain you get stretching a tight muscle/one affected by DOMS. The movement itself feels as if it helps loosen up the area, but there are also issues with spinal flexion under load with those who have disc issues. From what I can gather so far the majority opinion including Coach's, is that if it hurts you should avoid the movement.
I thank you in advance for the replies, and am looking forward to hopefully moving forward with GB.