Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Significance of the Ape Index

Fryk

You should take Anatomy & Physioligy if they teach it (and you haven't learned)

I passed my class in 10th grade with a 96% :D It was weird being the only tenth grader in the class though :P

John Sapinoso

For example, the calculations for a 200lb athlete with a 30" sleeve would be:

(30in x 200lbs/2) x 2 = 6,000 inch pounds.

The calculations for a 200lb athlete with a 32" sleeve would be:

(32in x 200lbs/2) x 2 = 6,400 inch pounds.

What a large gymnast!

I measured 24" from top of shoulder to the crease in my wrist.

(24in x 180lbs/2) x 2 = 4320 inch pounds

• 2 months later...
Longshanks

To compute how much power is need to hold an iron cross for example, simply use the same formula that old time strongmen used to compute the inch pounds that were being held by the wrists (weight of the sledge head in pounds x the length of the handle in inches). In this instance the weight of the body will replace the weight of the sledge, but will be divided by two as there are two arms, and the length of the arms will replace the length handle. The resulting poundages will shock you :shock:. And easily illustrate why ring strength is so much easier with shorter arms. As well as why regular exposure to ring strength builds such tremendous physiques and power.

For example, the calculations for a 200lb athlete with a 30" sleeve would be:

(30in x 200lbs/2) x 2 = 6,000 inch pounds.

The calculations for a 200lb athlete with a 32" sleeve would be:

(32in x 200lbs/2) x 2 = 6,400 inch pounds.

To the casual observer the athletes of the same weight would both be exerting the same effort during the iron cross; however in reality the longer limbed athlete is actually producing 400 more inch pounds of effort.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I wanted to work this out for myself, is the sleeve length from your wrist or fingertips to shoulder?

to the place where you support on the rings, so with a false grip that'd be your wrist.

Longshanks

6930 inch pounds for me. Bloody hell. Even if I realy trimmed down and lost a stone it'd still be around the 6400 mark. Think the levers and planche will be a challenge enough if this is anything to go by.

• 2 years later...

So how would you relate this to the other strength moves, like Maltese and Victorian? I assume the equation would be quite a bit different...and maybe more complicated?

• 1 month later...
Matthew Mossop

I'm about 5' 6.5" (66.5") and my wingspan is about 73" (if I measured correctly). Maybe that's why my progress on levers etc is slow.