Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bones, Marrow, Joints and Collagen; should we eat these?

Ryan Bailey

Bones, Marrow, Joints and Collagen:

I am curious to know if anybody is eating and preparing these not so common parts.

If so, how?

Are nutrients aquired from these foods beneficial to athletes?

broth.jpg

(Picture of Bones, marrow, joints and cartilage of whitetail deer with celery, carrots, onion, and garlic in my large crock.)

• Upvote 2

Michael George 192636

Just eating the muscle meat is a very modern thing. When I was a kid, we always ate meat off the bone, chewing on the gristle. A little before my time were the bone broths, like in your picture, to get all the goods stuff off the bones. I understand that the amino acids from the collagen and joints is important for healing and detoxification.

I supplement with collagen. I believe it helps my joints and skin stay youthful. It's good for digestion.

Our ancestors prized the organ meats -- and modern day science confirms they are the most nutrient dense parts of the animal. To be healthy and get all the nutrients we need, we've got to eat the whole thing.

Are you interested in the Weston A Price Foundation?

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Michael George 192636 said:

I understand that the amino acids from the collagen and joints is important for healing and detoxification.

Beep, beep, mind you words, lest my BS detector may go off. ;)

• Upvote 2

Piotr Ochocki

That used to be quite normal back home (eastern europe) some 20+ years ago.

Chicken stock cooked on bones was the traditional remedy for colds, etc.

On the subject of collagen, I've found UC-II type (pills) collagen quite beneficial for my own joints.

A bit of blast from the past:

Richard Thomas

I love slow cooking beef shins or lamb shanks in the electric crock pot for 12 hours or so. Brown them in a pan first, season and completely cover with stock add some carrots and onions. When finished heavily reduce the cooking juices in a pan until they're thick and ever so shiny. I like mine served on top of a carb mountain:)

• Upvote 2

Michael George 192636

Google up "Glycine and detoxification" and see what you might find. Collagen from joints and bones is rich in glycine, among other important things.

Bone broth is a traditional wisdom forgotten these days.

Ryan Reynolds

I've also played around with supplementing collagen, on two separate occasions.  The one change I can report is my weight went down by 5 lbs.  I normally weigh around 200lbs.  The two times I was supplementing with collagen I suddenly dropped to 195 or less.  I never changed anything else in my diet or workout schedules.

I guess it could be attributed to a drop in inflammation.  I never noticed any other effects. 

The first time I supplemented I took it in the evening before bed, and in the morning with breakfast.  This time I've been taking it after my noon hour GST session.  Same effect.

I attached a pic of what I've been taking.

IMG_0511 (002).JPG

• Upvote 2

Julia Quigley

How are you taking it? I enjoy it warm or set with juice, which isn't the best option :) 

I like drinking warm, homemade broth..so I suppose I could always mix in a little extra to that.

Ryan Reynolds

I mix it in a stainless steel water bottle.  I fill the water bottle half way with tap water then add the powder.  It has to sit a minute,  then I fill the rest with hot water let it sit another minute and sip on it at my desk.  It doesn't have much taste, but a bit of a "hoofie" smell :D.

Ya I have also added it to my soup if I have brought some for lunch.

Barry Johnston

I regularly make bone broth from all that kind of stuff.  I either then use it in soups or just warm it up and drink it straight.

The secret to making sure you extract all the nutrients is in the time you cook the bones etc for.  You really need to be simmering your bones for at least 12hrs, preferably longer and add a little cider vinegar in there which also help extract nutrients.

Dave Asprey (Bulletproof Coffee guy) does a podcast (ep# 239) with a chef called Ariane Resnick and they go into detail about the health benefits of making broth and how to properly extract the nutrients in the process.  If your interested in this kinda stuff then it's definitely worth a listen.

Randeep Walia

Check out the Chris Kresser interview on Joe Rogan's podcast. He breaks down the benefit of marrow and organ meats vs the muscle meats. Very interesting stuff!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Not to, again, draw on my experience from Africa, but it was common practice to eat everything. Some places more than others. For instance, in Nigeria (I believe) or maybe Uganda. If you offered up chicken wings, their plates would be clean when they were done. I mean, nothing left. No bone, no gristle, nothing. I don't take it that far, but out of habit (and to the perpetual disgust of my girlfriend) I, still eat the joints and the bone marrow of any meat. Brings out the Australopithecus in me.

I also grew very fond of animal liver while in Rwanda, never had it or was very privy to it since steak and chicken breast is just so damned abundant stateside. I'm a lot more adventurous now: game meats, heart, kidney, liver of all sorts, bone broths. For a time I was big on bone broths, but after completing thrive I'm pretty staunchly against elixirs and am very reluctant to even take protein powders (eating real meals is just so much more satisfying and keeps me full much longer -- nevermind the fact that worries of muscle loss and the hypertrophy window bla bla bla don't seem to have made any difference). 

• Upvote 5

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Randeep Walia said:

Wow, I thought I had tried it all, but... how the hell do you eat chicken bones?

You use your molars. Lol, can't crack 'em all, but I sure do try. Getting the marrow out is like a small reward. Don't try it with pork or beef however....you will lose a tooth. You can't bet on that. Their bones just seem to be too dense.

Leonhard Krahé
15 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

out of habit (and to the perpetual disgust of my girlfriend) I, still eat the joints and the bone marrow of any meat. Brings out the Australopithecus in me

To a degree, I do the same.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.