Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anything new?

Brandon

I haven't checked out this forum for about 6 months or so. Has there been any new developments since then? I'm wondering if there are any new articles or info about future books or anything related to the development of this site. Thanks in advance.

Coach Sommer
I haven't checked out this forum for about 6 months or so. Has there been any new developments since then? I'm wondering if there are any new articles or info about future books or anything related to the development of this site. Thanks in advance.

You are surely kidding.

In that time frame, there have been literally thousands of new posts and discussions. If you are looking for posts specifically by me, you have but to use the forum search function.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Neal Winkler

The most important discussion we've had (off the top of my head) is the value of gymnastics for the upper body compared to weightlifting (hint: its better).

You are surely kidding.

In that time frame, there have been literally thousands of new posts and discussions. If you are looking for posts specifically by me, you have but to use the forum search function.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nope not kidding. The first thing I do when I come back is click on your name and then "Search User's Posts." I was really just wondering about anything major. i.e. New articles by you, new book information, new updates about your gymnasts, new contests, etc.

The most important discussion we've had (off the top of my head) is the value of gymnastics for the upper body compared to weightlifting (hint: its better).

Thanks very much, I'll look up that thread. I wasn't quite sure if I would get serious/useful responses, so I really appreciate your input. On a side note, I take it you're into MMA by your name. Do you train? If so, have you found gymnastics training to specifically help with grappling, striking speed, etc?

Allan Bower won national champs

photography is still ongoing for future books

loads and loads of good posts by the moderator team and forum users..

what i remember of the top of my head.

Thanks very much, I'll look up that thread. I wasn't quite sure if I would get serious/useful responses, so I really appreciate your input. On a side note, I take it you're into MMA by your name. Do you train? If so, have you found gymnastics training to specifically help with grappling, striking speed, etc?

I do BJJ. It's hard to tell, because there are so many variables. Improvement in technique and the skills of your training partners make it difficult to determine the affect of any one thing. Also, BJJ does not have simple measurable variables like in track & field sports, swimming, ect. which makes any improvement qualitative in nature and therefore more fuzzy.

I do BJJ. It's hard to tell, because there are so many variables. Improvement in technique and the skills of your training partners make it difficult to determine the affect of any one thing. Also, BJJ does not have simple measurable variables like in track & field sports, swimming, ect. which makes any improvement qualitative in nature and therefore more fuzzy.

You make good points. I guess I was imagining your grip strength increasing from work on the rings/pull up bar, which would help with wrist control, or maybe you've developed more flexibility in your hips that has made it easier for triangles, gogoplatas, etc. Maybe a stronger guillotine due to various pulling exercises. All of these are qualitative like you said, but I imagine there'd be at least some carry over

Well, I've was already doing pullups before I got Coaches book, and I've actually had rings for 3 or so years, so I was already doing muscle ups and such (but not nearly all the stuff that you can do). I also don't have any flexibility deficits that impact my game.

I would check the logs of some users, the thread started by the mods, and everything which have 3 pages or more.

I check the forum 2-3 times a week or more since the creation. The time passed here is always valuable. But interacting with gymnasts and coaches of the entire world is probably the best thing here, something that without internet and this forum I wouldn't have been able to do.

Joshua Naterman

I've found that the most direct benefits are in scrambling, clinch work, and being able to survive and escape bad positions. Striking speed has to be worked separately, there's nothing here that specifically works speed in that sense. One of the very best things you can do is to buy 20 bricks(or find busted ones) and chuck them by punching as fast as you can. It's like a horizontal shot put and it will develop serious explosive punching. Resistance band punching also works well, but the bricks are my favorite. That might be because they are old school, but there you have it. They are easier to control, you don't have to hold back. Specific core work also helps. Stop using sledge hammers if you are using them and start chopping wood with a hatchet, one handed. It's pretty much the exact motion you use to punch, and it IS the exact motion for ground and pound. You COULD simulate this by using a mini sledge(one handed 2 lb sledge, short handle) and chopping into a tire. Change the angles depending on which punch you want to train. Hook and uppercut arm movement have to be done separate, but the body movement can be trained by either chopping straight sideways(uppercut body movement) or at a 30-45 degree downward angle for hook body movement. Chopping straight down will help with straight and overhand punches. THis has to be done fast and explosively, with everything behind it each hit. DOn't evey get close to fatigue. As soon as you feel a slight slowdown you take a rest. Speed training must remain fast. That's why I'm a 230 lb guy who can move like a 160 guy.